• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:17 AM

Well, work is getting crazy so I need quick dinner ideas but they need to be heart healthy (low sodium and low fat) but I still want flavor and anything with peppers (bell or even hotter) is out because of acid reflux. I'd appreciate any ideas that you have to share.

#2 Grlfriday

Grlfriday
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Here are a few i like

sometimes I add mushrooms as well
http://www.recipezaa...-Sprouts-142464

you could use leftover ham, chicken, etc
http://www.recipezaa...wder-Soup-65038

http://www.recipezaa...sar-Wrap-128889

http://www.recipezaa...ic-Glaze-118010

http://www.recipezaa...ken-Salad-25735
www.apexrestoration.net

#3 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

I can't tell you how often my dinner consists of some sort of roasted/sauteed/steamed/whatever vegetable, with a fried or poached egg on top, crusty (or not so crusty!) bread, and some shaved parm. It never gets old.

I also love this soup: http://www.thewednes...-soy-broth.html

And, I don't know about you, but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich really hits the spot with me once in a while.

and let us know what you come up with!

#4 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Mark Bittman's new cookbook is all fast, simple, healthy stuff. You might grab that from a library and see if that has anything that lights your fire.

Also, Martha Rose Shulman is doing healthy fast recipes in the NYT Well blog -- I think there's a new recipe every week day.
http://well.blogs.ny...-on-your-plate/

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

My go-to meal lately has been yaki-udon. It's about 20 minutes start to finish. I was online at Uwajimaya a couple of months ago, and the guy in front of me had 2 huge heads of napa cabbage, and 4 on-sale packs of frozen udon. The udon came 5 individually wrapped packages in one larger wrapper. They were on sale, which was why the guy was guying so many packs. I decided to give them a try, and now I'm addicted! When I went back for more, I realized why the guy bought so many on sale. They are regularly around $6 for the pack of noodles. And I know why...they're really good, we were shocked!

For 2 people:
Onion, sliced into wedges (yel, red or white, doesn't matter)
1/3 head of green cabbage, sliced into 1/2" strips, or baby bok choy or bok choy, chopped up
Couple handfuls of shitakes, sliced
Thin sliced (or strips) of pork loin chops

- boil a pot of water, about half as much as you'd use for regular pasta
- Slice up the pork first & put in a bowl with a dash of light soy or black sweet soy, mirin, rice vinegar, jarred minced ginger (it's quick), then let that sit while slicing the cabbage, onion & shitakes
- Heat canola oil on high
- Sautee onion, salt lightly
- Toss in shitakes, sautee a few min and remove with onion to a bowl
- Sautee the pork for a few min.
- Toss in the cabbage, wilt for a few min
- Drop the frozen noodles in the water for 4 minutes
- put onions & mushrooms back in pan, add the noodles & stir everything together
- dress with Yamasa premium soy

The trick is to not overcook the veggies. They're so good when they still have a nice bite to them.

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

Here are 3 winter recipes that make the rounds at our house regularly. I also have 2 winter halibut recipes that cook up quickly and are heart healthy. The first is an adaptation of a a Martha Stewart citrus salsa that goes beautifully over halibut. Sometimes during citrus season I will segment up a bunch of citrus on a weekend and put it in a ziplock, juices and all, then use it in something like this salsa during the week. The second is something I whipped up years ago and we still make frequently. Last is a sausage-kale soup. New Seasons does a fairly worthy Sweet Italian Bulk Chicken Sausage that cooks up well in this soup.

Citrus Salsa, adapated from Martha Stewart
Serve grilled, broiled or pan seared halibut over a bed of wilted spinach, and top with this salsa:

2 large navel oranges, peel and pith removed, flesh cut into segments, juices in the bowl
1 medium lemon, peel and pith removed, flesh cut into segments and chopped, juices in the bowl
1/2 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Zest of 1/2 lime, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 Teaspoon honey
1/4 Teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper

===========================================================

Pesto Crusted Halibut in Parchment

You can use any pesto you have in the fridge. I make the below pesto with all my basil leftover in August, and freeze up a winter's worth in little containers in the freezer. This is a modified recipe from Caggiano (Trattoria Cooking cookbook)

Basil Pesto
3 Cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
˝ Cup extra virgin olive oil
˝ Cup pine nuts
Small handful of walnuts
2 cloves garlic, peeled
salt to taste
1/3 Cup freshly grated parmigiano
2 tbs. freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, or 2 additional tbs. parmigiano

Put all ingredients in a food processor & process until smooth. Taste and adjust. Store in the fridge or freezer.

30 min Halibut in Parchment:

Ingredients (for 2 people):
Extra-v olive oil
2/3 lb. Halibut fillet, cut in half
Basil pesto (I would guess about 1Tbs. per piece/person, enough for a nice crust-type covering)
3 - 4 Shallots, sliced thin
8 Kalamata olives & 10 - 12 nicoise olives
Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
Splash of dry white wine

1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Line rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil, set aside
3. Cut an 18-inch long piece of parchment paper & very lightly fold it in half to mark the half-way point
4. Spread about 1Tbs. olive oil in the center of the bottom half (closest to you) in about a 6” space center of the paper
5. Salt & pepper the Halibut and place the two pieces on top of the olive oil, skin side down
6. Spread the pesto over the top of each piece, covering completely
7. Sprinkle shallots on the paper, mostly around the sides of the fish…try to keep everything in the center of the bottom half of the paper
8. sprinkle olives around the sides of the fish
9. splash a 2-second-pour of white wine in between the two pieces of fish
10. fold parchment in half over the fish and seal in half-moon shape
11. bake for 20 minutes (for 1” thick pieces. Increase cooking time if fish is thicker…it’s hard to overcook it, this cooking method is very forgiving)

To plate the fish: open the packet, place fish on each plate, divide up olives & shallots, then pour juices over & around each piece.

===========================================

Sausage & Kale Soup

1 onion, chopped
1 lb. sweet Italian bulk pork or chicken sausage
1 box + 1 can Swanson chicken broth (approx 6 cups)
˝ - 1 cup white wine (2-buck-chuck chardonnay works best)
1 bunch kale, rinsed & chopped (prepped & in the fridge from the weekend)
1 can cannellini beans
kosher salt & fresh ground pepper

Put large pan with high sides on med-high heat. Sweat onions in 2 Tbs. olive oil. Lightly salt & pepper. After about 5 minutes, add sausage and cook till almost done, breaking the sausage into small chunks. Add the broth & ˝ cup wine, bring to boil. Once boiling, taste the broth & adjust with more wine if needed, salt & pepper. Add the beans & kale (don’t drain or rinse beans…add in the liquid from the can & everything). Cover & simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Adjust salt & pepper and serve.

#7 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

I don't know about you, but 30 minute recipes always take me like 60. I do the following:
  • When I make some beans or greens or stew or whatever, I make enough for 3 meals at least, portion it out and freeze. Same with some of the prep work: chopping some onions? chop extra and freeze; peeling some ginger? peel extra, chop and freeze. These can be real time savers. Alternatively, you could
  • Load up a crockpot in the morning and let 'er rip all day long. When you get back home from work a nice hot meal awaits.

--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

I agree with DePaula on the crockpot idea. Ours has been getting a real workout this fall and we've had some delightful meals. It's great to just prep everything and stick it in the crock in the morning and then come home to a lovely smelling home and dinner is ready! Very comforting and there are lots of low-fat, slow cooker recipes available on-line.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

I also do a lot of prep work on weekends & freezing of stuff in batches. Like tomato sauces, pestos, chutneys, etc. Then weeknights we often just throw something on the grill, take some apricot chuntey or whatever out of the freezer to go with it, and wilt some greens that I'd washed, spun dry & chopped up over the weekend. And dinner is literally on the table in 15 - 20 minutes and cleanup is 1 sautee pan & everything else in the dishwasher. Easy.

I LOVE beets but if I didn't do the prep work over the weekend, I'd never get to eat them during the week because they take too much time. So I peel & slice them up & stick them in a ziplock with damp paper towels. Then during the week, I just toss 'em with olive oil & balsamic or oj & into the toaster oven they go, so I'm not waiting around 20 min for the big oven to preheat.

Ditto for chard, kale, other braising greens & any salad greens from the farmers market. I take about 45 min after the market on Saturday to wash, dry & chop up everything. I store it all in damp paper towels & plastic bags in the fridge and they last for a good week and are still very happy looking greens. In contrast, the times that I don't do this & just stick the chard as-is in the fridge, it looks lifeless in less than 2 days.

Anything that takes longer than 30 min to cook & 10 min to clean up during the week, doesn't happen. So that hour of Saturday prep work allows us to eat beautifully all week long.

EDIT: I had a slow cooker for years and nothing good ever came out of it. Everyone around me was able to master this art. I finally gave the damn thing away.

#10 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. I don't have a crock pot and probably won't get one as I generally cook for one.

#11 jemangepdx

jemangepdx
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

One thing I've been doing once a week or so is defrosting frozen halibut steaks from Trader Joe's, putting them in an oiled dish and covering them w/ sauteed veggies, a little white wine & feta cheese and baking in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Total time is pretty close to 30 minutes. I actually just posted about it last night! Baked Halibut

#12 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

One thing I've been doing once a week or so is defrosting frozen halibut steaks from Trader Joe's, putting them in an oiled dish and covering them w/ sauteed veggies, a little white wine & feta cheese and baking in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Total time is pretty close to 30 minutes. I actually just posted about it last night! Baked Halibut

Great looking recipe. In fact, you have a lot of good looking recipes on your blog. (esp. that pork!) I'll leave a comment over there. Thanks.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#13 sandiegowellness

sandiegowellness
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

Great looking recipe. In fact, you have a lot of good looking recipes on your blog. (esp. that pork!) I'll leave a comment over there. Thanks.

There are some quick and healthy recipes that try to focus on natural ingredients. The nutritional and medicinal value of the herb or spice used as the focal point of the dish is also shared.

http://www.tonicfood...rb-cooking-blog
Tonic Food Club - San Diego Wellness | Medicinal Herbs

#14 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...=rssnyt&emc=rss

This looks good, although I'd need to modify it a bit... no chiles, Italian white beans to replace the corn, wheat tortillas, garlic and some other spices in the dressing