• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

Ken, I'm interested to know what you do differently to make your bread, in general, versus your pizza dough.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 kforkish

kforkish
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Ken, I'm interested to know what you do differently to make your bread, in general, versus your pizza dough.

What is in common with all of our doughs is that a portion of the total flour used in the mix is fermented for a long time (12 hours or more) before being integrated into the final mix. So, for example, in a small mix if you had this typical ingredient list: 1,000 grams flour, 700 grams water, 20 grams salt, 20 grams yeast (the standard baguette dough and pain ordinaire), you might take 300 grams of the flour and 300 grams of the water with a gram or three of yeast, and mix 12 hours before adding the rest. We'd call this pre-fermented dough a poolish, and when it's ready it is bubbly with gas.

Using a pre-ferment gives much more complexity to the flavor of the dough, more color to the crust, and acidity that improves the dough handling characteristics. you can see a gloss on the interior web of the dough or crust.

Having said all that, our pizza dough is not much different from our baguette dough, although we use less yeast.

btw, i think somebody asked what a poolish is and what a levain is. I have an essay on my website that might help: natural leavening, where bread is made from just flour, water and salt http://www.kensartisan.com/essays.html

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

Do you use less yeast because it's going to retard longer or do you use less yeast because you want to have it rise less?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 kforkish

kforkish
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:11 AM

Do you use less yeast because it's going to retard longer or do you use less yeast because you want to have it rise less?

rise less. the pizza dough doesn't need as much gas as we want in our bread dough.