• 7,144 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

Thanks clove2873!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#42 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

Finally got to try Violetta yesterday for the first time. We went for lunch after the PSU market. I tell you what, I can't wait for it to be summer time so we can go back and sit outside. Prices are extremely reasonable and the food is great!

We had a 1/2-lb burger with white cheddar, large yukon gold fries with homemade ketchup, mac & cheese, a Director Park salad, Arnold Palmer lemonade-iced tea thing and a hot chocolate for $32. The burger is only $7.50, and at $9.00 for the Director Park salad, that's one helluva great salad that I would think would be $12 elsewhere. All high quality ingredients and everything made with care. Loved the cheese sauce on the mac & cheese too, addictive. And those roasted tomatoes that were on the burger & in the salad, YUM!

Don't know why it's taken so long to get over there. What a great venue it'll be once it warms up some!

Does anyone know if you can sit outside with dogs here? My neighbors would love this place, and they take their dogs everywhere. So I'm curious.

#43 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Does anyone know if you can sit outside with dogs here? My neighbors would love this place, and they take their dogs everywhere. So I'm curious.

We bring our dog there all the time. We stopped by on Saturday as well (not with the dog, though). Great as usual, though I wished the weather suited the piazza.

#44 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

We bring our dog there all the time. We stopped by on Saturday as well (not with the dog, though). Great as usual, though I wished the weather suited the piazza.

Oh cool, thanks! I just emailed the neighbors & let them know. They'll be excited!
Yes, weather...me too! We left for the PSU market and it was a nice Spring sunny day. An hour later, downpour. Sigh. Violetta was packed though. We were lucky to get seats inside.

#45 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I just saw this on FD's site:

Rumor has it, that a small downtown restaurant appears to be circling the drain. Cash-only from vendors? Employee paychecks frequently bouncing? This place is so small, I wouldn’t normally mention it, but it is also high-profile. Think burgers and a public space. The Portland city leaders will be annoyed. Enough said.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#46 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

From Eater PDX:

Violetta's days in downtown's Director Park are numbered — at least, according to Portland Parks & Recreation. The department confirmed swirling rumors about the quick-service burger joint's demise by releasing a public request for "expressions of interest" from prospective tenants interested in the Director Park space. According to this partnership proposal, the "available premises are comprised of the café building as well as certain space adjacent to the café... the exterior space will be part of the leased area."

Violetta, the "slow food, fast" restaurant, opened in the park's cafe space in June 2012 after several well-publicized delays. The Parks department notice does not include a timeline for the lease — Eater has reached out to owner Dwayne Beliakoff and will update the Violetta situation (including rumors of new outposts) as information becomes available.

http://pdx.eater.com...-park-space.php

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#47 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Pretty sure they didn't open in June 2012.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#48 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Pretty sure they didn't open in June 2012.

-sacman

Haha, nice catch, I didn't even see that. It's still wrong on the Eater PDX site.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#49 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Update:

Despite the Portland Parks & Rec department's search for a new tenant in its Director Park cafe space, Violetta owner Dwayne Beliakoff says the quick-serve burger joint isn't down for the count yet. In an e-mail correspondence with Eater, Beliakoff says that Violetta has re-applied for the Director Park lease, and is actively seeking sites for further local expansion. "They sent [the renewal application] to me first as we are encouraged to re-up the permit/lease, and obviously it would be easier for them to maintain the space as-is, than to have the cafe go dark rolling into the summer," Beliakoff says. "But the process is the process, and... I have been spending a good amount of time focused on developing new spaces for Violetta."

According to Beliakoff, Violetta has plans for a new location in Southeast Portland, a "mini-version" of the burger concept in Hillsdale, and will maintain its mobile ETTA food truck. Also part of the empire's future plans: a new taco concept dubbed D. S. Tacos, for which Beliakoff is currently in "discussion with other property owners on that deal."

As far as Violetta's future at Director Park, the restaurant will remain open business-as-usual as interested parties submit their applications for the space. Writes Beliakoff:

Going forward, we have a distinct vision of how a Violetta needs to look and operate, and that if nothing else, is a four-season (not two) restaurant with plenty of accessible parking (not just not within a pedestrian path). They will stand alone and not require high overhead auxiliary kitchens (a requirement) such is our current situation. The new spaces are being designed to incorporate kitchens large enough to service our catering and mobile truck needs as well.
We've had fun helping develop the park, but we also know where we want to see the company headed long term. It hasn't been an easy operation and the learning curve was steep for both Violetta and the Parks' staff. I know that this seems like a high-profile matter — but in essence... we need more than 850 square feet for what we do and we are considering this a location matter more than anything.

http://pdx.eater.com...nsion-plans.php

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#50 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I open a sandwich place, and everyone wants to open a sandwich place. I open a taco place, and everyone wants to open a taco place. ;)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#51 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

For whatever reason, we've ended up at Violetta 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Last night my H tried the 50/50 burger. Fantastic! This was such a surprise, we weren't expecting this big thick juicy burger that's listed as a 1/3 lb patty on the menu. I looked at someone else's 50/50 burger and that one was super thick too. About 3x as thick as my 1/3 lb Violetta burger.

Anyway, it's half Italian sausage & half ground beef, mixed into one patty & topped with spicy marinara, mozz and a basil aioli. Similar flavors as a meatball hero, only in burger form. Great burger!

I continue to be addicted to their super crispy yukon gold fries. However, it was friggin' cold in that glass box last night!

Two visits ago, I got the Pacific Cod Cake sandwich. I'm either not a fan of fish cakes in a sandwich, or I didn't like this particular one. Too fishy and not enough of a pickly taste in the tarter sauce. Ate a few bites & gave the rest to my garbage disposal husband to finish off. Won't be ordering that again.

#52 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Tried to go to Violetta tonight and discovered that it had turned into "Elephants in the Park" as of 2 months ago. Since we were trying to get a bite before a movie at Fox Tower, we still ate there, but we were excited about Violetta and therefore disappointed to find them gone. If they aren't there anymore, I wish they'd update their website to reflect that. :(

Looks like Eater reported it earlier this summer and I missed it:

http://pdx.eater.com...-park-space.php