Violetta at Director Park

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 ladida

ladida
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

I have no idea what that is all about. The website makes it look like a scary chain restaurant. The whole "slow food fast" thing really rubs me the wrong way too.

#22 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

Is this a new cart in the South Park blocks?

#23 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

I was pretty sure that there was already a thread aobut Violetta...did a quick search and lo and behold. That might give more info.

#24 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Merged.

#25 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

I am really enthused about the opening of this place and plan to try it out soon.

#26 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

I tried it this last week. They were actually really nice to stay open an extra half hour for me. It was my last chance to give their burger a try since I'll be out of town for a couple weeks. It's going to be a great location this summer. The place itself is small, but they have a number of tables of their own, plus the park has a ton of tables.

The PDF menu online is pretty accurate, I think. When I get back I want to try some of those fries.

Posted Image

But I just got a burger, the Violetta Burger. It comes wrapped in a convenient box. Good for taking back to the office or for eating on the move. Too bad there isn't a drive-thru. ;-)

Posted Image

Burger comes on Grand Central bun with butter lettuce, red onions, roasted tomatoes, dill pickle chips, and house sauce. You can get it with cheese, too, but I felt bad for making them stay after for me and didn't pay too careful attention to the menu. The cheese is a white cheddar.

Posted Image

Patty was medium, as requested, and very well-seasoned, almost too salty. I'd love to try this burger with cheese. I think it would be better. A sharp white cheddar sounds best, too, like a Beecher's. I can't remember what they use. The thing that makes the burger, though, is the sauce. Love the sauce. It's creamy, pretty tart, and a little spicy. Pickles were okay, but helped with the richness. Really liked the roasted tomatoes, too. I'd almost prefer them not to switch to fresh tomatoes even in tomato season. They were naturally sweet and tasted like they had been roasted with herbs. Definitely a good standard burger.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#27 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

I had a Merc Perk that I used a couple days ago. I got the 1/2 lb Or. Blue burger. I didn't specify how I wanted it cooked and they did not ask... It was definitely in the well vicinity. It was pretty dry as well. The bacon, blue and carmelized onions were pretty good. The truffle fries were pretty good, although skimpy for $6 for a large. My GF had the chicken salad, which was decent. All in all, I wouldn't go out of the way to go there. I also don't eat red meat frequently, so I wouldn't waste my red meat selection there. There are certainly places in the vicinity that serve a better burger for a similar price.

#28 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

I can't think of anywhere close-by with a burger that's a better value. Most places are $10+ for a good burger, especially in downtown, unless you count happy hour pricing, which is kind of cheating. Although many other places include fries for the $10-$12 burgers.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#29 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

http://blogtown.port...dgment-violetta

The food situation: Based on my burger today, the buzz is justified. It’s tasty, for sure. The brioche bun is lovely and light, slightly toasted, and not at all obtrusive when it comes to the 1/3 pound burger patty. The meat is well seasoned, not too fatty, and tender enough without being obnoxiously giving. The toppings are what make it a hit. The house sauce has a touch of nice chipotle, while the pickles pop with bright dill. The “10 hour tomatoes” are slightly sweet, shriveled, preserved little gems that have a “sun-dried” flavor, but remain quite soft. All in all it's a very pleasing and filling burger, lack of fries not withstanding.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#30 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

http://wweek.com/editorial/3643/14448/

The signature Angus-beef Violetta Burger ($6/$7.50) is accordingly a sloppy, tasty mess to rival anything in South Philly or the old Coney Island—sealed shut by its own juice and fat in recycled cardboard and paper—with appealingly goopy special sauce, butter lettuce and something called 10-hour tomatoes. Applewood-smoked bacon and cheese can be added, at minor expense, for even greater decadence. The fries ($3/$5) are golden-crisp and speckled with sea salt and pepper; the option of truffle oil ($1) becomes possibly even extraneous due to the already strong spicing, especially amid sauce options that include a pungent harissa ketchup or garlic aioli.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#31 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

http://www.portlandm...ent?oid=2818834

Violetta deserves respect for stepping up with a menu that captures the locavore madness of Portland while tempering it with straight-ahead grub. It's best described as a museum café genetically spliced with a Burgerville. The result? Quoth Violetta: "Slow Food, Fast."

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#32 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have to say that the burger I had there last week was really greasy and made me kind of ill and the fries tasted completely unseasoned (and I am not a huge salt fan...but I noticed). The price point was good, but the execution seemed off.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#33 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

I had a burger there last night for the first time. I got the 1/3 lb cheeseburger and an order of sweet potato fries. The burger was decent, but the grease eventually soaked through the paper wrapper and got all over my hand and the table. The cheese was not melted, and I wish there had been a little more of that sauce Nick wrote about. Overall though, all of the toppings were tasty and melded together into a burger I would probably eat again. The sweet potato fries though were REALLY good. Crispy on the outside and creamy and sweet-potatoey on the inside, dusted with salt. Fantastic. I didn't bother with the ketchup. It's nice that something downtown is both inexpensive and open til 11pm. I'd like to try other things on the menu next time.

#34 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

You guys say "greasy burger" like it's a bad thing. ;-)

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#35 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

Odd... I've been there nearing a dozen times and the execution had been pretty consistent for me. though. Half was while in the cart though so of course it'd be more consistent.

#36 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, it was a bad thing.

It was glistening all over, both sides of the bun, and sitting in a pool of orange grease. It was a mess and not at all appetizing, I only ate part of it, and I felt like crap for hours on end.

I think it was a bad execution, and I'll try another one at some point, as well as the sweet potato fries, but honestly, they are lucky I'm giving them another shot it was so bad.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#37 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I didn't have the stomach issues that Jill-O, but I had not eaten at all that day and combined the 1/2 lb burger with bacon with the Director Salad. Perhaps all the lettuce helped soak up the fat? I liked the fries, but if there had been salt on the table, I do think I would have added a dash. I did like the fact that despite eating a small yukon fries, I didn't end up waking up ten times that night needing a drink of water like some of the burger and fries I've had around town.

Here's the burger (yummy, but definitely glistening in delicious fat):
Posted Image

French Fries (and the homemade ketchup was amazing - better than the version my mother makes or the Zuni Cafe version):
Posted Image

Director Park salad (one of the best entree salads I've had around town, I liked the slow-cooked tomatoes but didn't adore them - I think they are best suited for the sandwiches and not the salads):
Posted Image

I also got a small peach milkshake (free for show proof of voting for Etta in the Food Network's Great Food Truck) which was amazingly peachy. While still creamy and thick, the milkshake had an overwhelming peach flavour which was very floral and as close to a tree-ripened, warm from the sun, juicily delicious peach as I have ever had in a milkshake.

I'll definitely be back and I think I'm going to explore the rest of the menu as I think the salad shows that they really shine on the more produce-centric items. It was also the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and it was obvious that half of the team working was still new and getting trained. Not exactly the best night to judge a place's consistency IMHO. I also really enjoyed the outdoor seating. Even on a cool night, it was nice to sit out there (properly bundled up of course) and the neon built into the canopy is hypnotic... We end up eating indoors as Jill wasn't ready to brave the night air.

#38 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

I have been there quite a few time since they opened (I live nearby) and they definitely have consistency issues. But I just love the whole freakin' vibe of the place. A cafe on a piazza -- tres European.

#39 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hmmm I think I've been lucky or perhaps the manager keeps a close eye out when I show up. Consistency was pretty good at the food cart for obvious reasons so I hope they get things in order.

#40 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

I, as everyone else, have had consistency issuse here. Mine always deal with wrong orders, though :P But the food & atmosphere keeps me coming back!
On f.b., Violetta was pumping a Bison Burger Chefs Market Special. But it was different in that it had melted mozz, roasted tomatoes, and basil aioli. Or so they said (hehehe) Consider my interest perked.
So I got there and said to myself, "Hey, I'm in college! I really have no time to cook, and I still need to eat well!" (One can never go back after their eyes have been opened to the PDX supremacy lol)
With that, I ordered all three Chef's Market Specials: Bison burger, salad (toasted pumpkin seeds/ pumpkin buttermilk dressing/ honeycrisp apple/ blue cheese) and a Corn&Acorn Squash soup. (Say corn&acorn ten times fast.) This, all with the intent of fridging the soup and salad for tomorrow, as I have classes in the afternoon (and a 6AM biology lab. ugh.)

Report on the Bison burger, because that is all i've eaten so far:
As I said in my twitterfeed (lol) "Just slammed a Bison Burger at Violetta & it was kickin. It was so kickin that it kicked it all of the way across the Willamete #pdxeats"
So keep that in mind when I say this: They may have messed up my order. But it was for the better if they did. I hope they are evil masterminds, setting one up for an somewhat unassuming sandwich only to blow them away with awesomeness.
The f.b. page pumped only mozz, roasted tomatoes, and basil aioli as condiments. On top of those, though, I received bacon, an avocado spread/type-deal, onion, pickle, and even a little bit of ground black pepper in there.
It was really, really good, in my opinion. Comparing it to the Oregonzola Burger I had there last week: Bison wins, hands down. Heck, even two hands down with a stomp. I think it topped the Violetta burger, too. I wouldn't call it a landslid victory, but a win nevertheless. They are different animals, though. (quite literally) They both serve their purpose. I was feeling something a little different than beef tonight. Had to shake it up, ya know?

Here are some pics. &It's ok to drool. ;)