Trying to use up some habaneros

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

We tried growing habaneros this year, and a few of them ripened and even turned red. I'm looking for a hot sauce recipe--maybe something that would last quite a while, but I've never made hot sauce before. Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

My husband grows lots of peppers, habaneros included, and he makes a pepper sauce with shallots and garlic and finely chopped habaneros, maybe a little bit of sugar, and salt of course, and vinegar. It keeps for some time in the fridge.
I'm sorry I don't have the exact recipe, but i can get it if you don't wanna wing it. It's great on all kinds of things, or as an addition to mild salsa to give it some additional heat.

#3 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'm in the same boat. Dad planted 5 Habanero plants and we're inundated.

I've read online about simply preserving them in honey, which sounds great, but fear of botulism frightens me.

You can always whizz em in the blender with water (or whatever you like), freeze in ice cubes and just add one to your dish when needed.

#4 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

You could use a few to make a spicy infusion with vodka.

#5 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

My husband grows lots of peppers, habaneros included, and he makes a pepper sauce with shallots and garlic and finely chopped habaneros, maybe a little bit of sugar, and salt of course, and vinegar. It keeps for some time in the fridge.
I'm sorry I don't have the exact recipe, but i can get it if you don't wanna wing it. It's great on all kinds of things, or as an addition to mild salsa to give it some additional heat.

That sounds like what I'm looking for; maybe just an idea of proportions? Thanks.

#6 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

That sounds like what I'm looking for; maybe just an idea of proportions? Thanks.

Be really careful of how many habaneros you use. I'd start really small -- maybe a half or quarter in a cup of other stuff. Not sure exactly but I know I used some in a recipe and it blew my socks off and I don't even consider jalapenos hot peppers anymore (serranos are my main stay these days.)
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#7 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Be really careful of how many habaneros you use. I'd start really small -- maybe a half or quarter in a cup of other stuff. Not sure exactly but I know I used some in a recipe and it blew my socks off and I don't even consider jalapenos hot peppers anymore (serranos are my main stay these days.)

Definitely. I made jerk chicken with two whole ones and choked just on the fumes when I rinsed out the food processor. Lesson learned.

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

...and don't wipe away your tears with bare hands after touching them cut up. Yeah, I know.

#9 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

OK, so i guess he doesn't really measure, but my guess would be - and this is per pint jar - 6-8 peppers blended in a food processor with 3 chopped shallots or half an onion, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 3 T of lime juice or 1/2 C of rice wine vinegar. Then blend up til smooth and carefully pour into jar. It should keep in the fridge as a condiment for at least a few months. It's great in small doses on many types of different cuisines. I love it! Hot, but a quick burn that goes away before you're in pain. And smoky.

#10 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

OK, so i guess he doesn't really measure, but my guess would be - and this is per pint jar - 6-8 peppers blended in a food processor with 3 chopped shallots or half an onion, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 3 T of lime juice or 1/2 C of rice wine vinegar. Then blend up til smooth and carefully pour into jar. It should keep in the fridge as a condiment for at least a few months. It's great in small doses on many types of different cuisines. I love it! Hot, but a quick burn that goes away before you're in pain. And smoky.

Ok, thanks!