Banana Leaves

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Matticus

Matticus
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Heya I have a hankerin' to make me some Hawaiian style pork shoulder. You guys know which azn market has banana leaves?

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen them at FuBonn before. It's been a while since I've shopped there, though.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

I've seen them at the Winco out in Beaverton.

#4 Matticus

Matticus
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

Anzen maybe? Winco is hilarious :drool:

#5 gleepglop

gleepglop
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

Yes you can get them at Anzen and Vieng Lao (on Killingsworth near I-5). I just roasted a whole hog a few weeks ago and used banana leaves from both places (they were the same).

Oh and I assume most Asian places carry them, these are just the two I went to. They come frozen (if you didn't already know).

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Uwajimaya on Beaverton-Hillsdale.
Asia Pacific on Allen.

#7 Sylvia Berrios

Sylvia Berrios
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hello and good evening! I am desperately trying to find banana leaves! I am puertorican and there is a side dish we cook called "pasteles", which some will think it is a Mexican version of tamales, but NOT quite! Our island version of pasteles are wrapped in green banana leaves, and the mixture is made out of mashing green bananas and yuccas, and then stuffed with meat pastries. It is traditionally served at Christmas time in Puerto Rico. I already made some when I went to visit my family in the East coast (MA) and all ingredients can be easily found over there, but very hard in the PNW! Already got annatto seeds being shipped my way, but just need to find the leaves and green bananas! I hear Asian markets might have the leaves which would be so huge if I can find them! Any suggestions for the green bananas as well? Very much appreciated in advance!

#8 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

Try Hung Phat market on 82nd and Stark
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#9 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

I've also seen them on & off at Uwajimaya in Beaverton off Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway.

#10 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

Indian markets carry them also. Appna Bazzar or the India Market next to Wunderland both in Beaverton.

#11 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

I've bought banana leaves at the Mexican market on 66th and Powell, Tienda El Campesino Portland.

#12 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

You might call Dashen Grocery on NE 25th and Glisan or Tienda de Leon farther out on NE Glisan. 

#13 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

And I'm thinking Kaah Market in the Portland Mercado might be a good source. Perhaps I can check tonight?