Photo

Puerto Rico

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

My partner and I just bought last-minute honeymoon tickets to Puerto Rico. Any food or restaurant recommendations? I've found a few websites but everything looks like a paid advertisement so far.

We're leaving in a week, coming back after a week there. It sounds like the kind of place where it would be easy to stick to the beaten path. If anyone has been there recently, I'd love to hear what was good -- beaten path or otherwise.

#2 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:34 AM

Haven't been there since I was 16 (very long ago). However, off the beaten path then was usually good if you wanted to step outside of Americanized. Things I have fond memories of - arroz con pollo, their style of black bean soup with rice, cheese, onions, and creme fraiche as condiments, and all the roadside places with fresh pineapple juice or fresh coconut juice (not milk) and the best pina coladas (yeah being from NY, my parents did not care) ever from little shacks. Just stay out of "tough" areas.

Are you just staying in San Juan or venturing out onto the rest of the island?

#3 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We're staying in San Juan for the first couple of nights, and then we'll do some exploring by car for the rest of the week.