Japanese & Sushi in Portland

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 demon4105

demon4105
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

Wife just had our first baby and are looking for a good sushi spot in north portland, or northeast portland. Preferably one that would not be a problem with a newborn. Any good suggestions?

#142 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hama Sushi. 4232 NE Sandy Blvd. (503) 249-1021.

Decent sushi, interesting variety, would probably work as well for a newborn as could be.

#143 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

I think Hama might be the only place in N/NE I would even half-heartedly recommend, but I am a picky sob, especially on sushi. Maybe the N Portland Mio.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#144 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Bamboo is close enough to NE (3 blocks south of Burnside or so), but I am not sure it is kid-friendly...outside you would probably be OK, though...best sushi, for sure.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#145 demon4105

demon4105
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

Thank you all for the advise. We tried Hama since we had already been to Bamboo. Needless to say we were very happy with our experience. Sushi rolls were fantastic, our favorite was the Sake Bomb Roll. All Nigiri was wonderful as well. Service was great, and our little man slept through the whole experience! Thanks again to everyone for the help.

#146 Emile

Emile
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

While looking through the Craigslist job ads (sigh), I came across a posting for sushi chefs. 3970 N Mississippi will become Uchu Sushi and Fried Chicken in March or April. I believe this is a new space, in the same little complex that has Mee-Sen, the froyo place, and the coffee store (I had noticed the liquor license application on the door when I was by last time). It is being opened by the people who run Moloko, which is apparently the bar across the street that I recognize the outside of, but never knew what it was called.

Personally, I'm more interested in fried chicken than sushi. Also wondering if looking for sushi chefs on craigslist is a bad sign?

EDIT to note that I see now that Eater already reported this a few weeks ago. Oh well.

#147 Wil

Wil
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:02 AM

As we were eating, I glanced over and noticed that she had these tiny plastic bottles of soy sauce that she was using, obviously her preferred brand that she had brought on her trip from Japan. It was also obvious she spoke no English and had not been here long.

As I kept glancing over, she noticed my attention. She then reached into her bag and offered us two of the little bottles (she may have had hundreds in there, for all I knew), accompanied by a beautiful smile. We used them and I nodded appreciatively, though the finer points of the sauce escaped me - could have been the same as the one I was using at the counter. No matter - she was lovely.

This may have just been prejudice on her part.

A friend of mine had a Japanese girlfriend for a few years and she was like that. She ordered everything from Japan...all her personal items, condiments, utensils, even office supplies....but particularly food items and anything that would go on her body in any way.

I'm no expert on Japan outside of reading James Clavell books (Shogun, etc.), but between that and what my friend told me about her habits, she'd been taught that non-Japanese things were inferior, dirty, of poor quality, and various other unpleasant things.

She wasn't the first Japanese from Japan I'd encountered with this trait.

At first it was kind of cute.....eventually it was just condescending and irritating and seemed like an ingrained prejudice taught intentionally.

#148 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

As we were eating, I glanced over and noticed that she had these tiny plastic bottles of soy sauce that she was using, obviously her preferred brand that she had brought on her trip from Japan. It was also obvious she spoke no English and had not been here long.

As I kept glancing over, she noticed my attention. She then reached into her bag and offered us two of the little bottles (she may have had hundreds in there, for all I knew), accompanied by a beautiful smile. We used them and I nodded appreciatively, though the finer points of the sauce escaped me - could have been the same as the one I was using at the counter. No matter - she was lovely.

This may have just been prejudice on her part.

A friend of mine had a Japanese girlfriend for a few years and she was like that. She ordered everything from Japan...all her personal items, condiments, utensils, even office supplies....but particularly food items and anything that would go on her body in any way.

I'm no expert on Japan outside of reading James Clavell books (Shogun, etc.), but between that and what my friend told me about her habits, she'd been taught that non-Japanese things were inferior, dirty, of poor quality, and various other unpleasant things.

She wasn't the first Japanese from Japan I'd encountered with this trait.

At first it was kind of cute.....eventually it was just condescending and irritating and seemed like an ingrained prejudice taught intentionally.

Depending on the place, the soy sauce they carried may have been different than that most used in Japan. When you grow up with that stuff, you develop a taste and can tell the differences and nuances that most people here couldn't..

And, I know loads of Japanese people--both those who've lived abroad and those who've never left Japan and I don't think I've ever come across anyone fitting the description of yr friend's gf. I'd say that the average Japanese would think such a person a freak.

Then, though, lots of people living in other countries do similar things. I've known plenty of Americans abroad who would only use American brand soap, shampoo, toiletries and tons of other products and who would constantly order home for certain food products and other stuff when they could have bought basically the same thing where they lived.

Anyway, Had a great meal at a Japanese place in Seattle--Wallingford last week. The main places on 45th were packed so we went to Issian. Had an amazing meal---we started with some sashimi and some grilled squid, then had some grilled sanma, grilled eggplant, and a massive, grilled maguro-collar, finishing up with some yaki-onigiri, all washed down with many lashings of Sapporo and some cheap hot sake. All was good. Most of the folks around us were eating various sushi rolls and the like---they looked OK---nothing too special. The grilled stuff though was pretty great though, and exactly what I would have eaten in Tokyo.

#149 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:21 AM

Then, though, lots of people living in other countries do similar things. I've known plenty of Americans abroad who would only use American brand soap, shampoo, toiletries and tons of other products and who would constantly order home for certain food products and other stuff when they could have bought basically the same thing where they lived.

I always stock up on citrus-flavored toothpaste when traveling abroad. Why can't I get that shit here!?! I hate mint toothpaste.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#150 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

So, with the latest sushi places to open recently, those who've been -- how would you rank them? Or, if not to rank them, which would you say are better/worse for certain things?

#151 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

I always stock up on citrus-flavored toothpaste when traveling abroad. Why can't I get that shit here!?! I hate mint toothpaste.

This is slightly off-topic, but I have to point out the wonders of Biotene toothplaste for people who want no flavors when they are tasting. I started using biotene for dry mouth and happily discovered that it leaves no residue. There is absolutely no aftertaste. You can taste anything afterwards, OJ, wine, beer, and they taste like they should taste.

I now use both the Biotene mouthwash and Biotene toothpaste. Both are kinda expensive, so ask your dentist for samples.

#152 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

So, with the latest sushi places to open recently, those who've been -- how would you rank them? Or, if not to rank them, which would you say are better/worse for certain things?

I'm not willing to make any pronouncements between Yama, Boxer, and Hokusei yet. I am interested to see if the NW location of Bamboo will have them raising or lowering their standards. I'm also interested to get back to Masu and see if their fish is still as good as the last time I was there. And finally, I'd like to hit up Murata and Mirakutei again with the other three fresh on my tongue for comparison.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#153 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

Fred Meyer Hippie section. Tom's. Not sure about citrus, but apricot, etc... I use cinnamon / clove which actually tastes like food, so that won't help with the palate clearing effect. But at least you won't be stuck with fucking mint. Who EVER came up with that???? Gross. We associate minty with clean. But I guarantee if mint was just now introduced people would be like WTF???
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#154 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm not willing to make any pronouncements between Yama, Boxer, and Hokusei yet. I am interested to see if the NW location of Bamboo will have them raising or lowering their standards. I'm also interested to get back to Masu and see if their fish is still as good as the last time I was there. And finally, I'd like to hit up Murata and Mirakutei again with the other three fresh on my tongue for comparison.

Masu was outstanding as of the last time we went (last month or so). Their house smoked sake is just awesome and the rest of their fish was also consistently excellent. Also had great sushi at Yama as well every time we've gone. Sorry, but don't get all the hoo-hah over Murata. Been there 2-3 times and the quality was OK, but below that of Yama, Bamboo, and Masu every time. Service also was less than friendly. Just MHO, I guess.