• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 tdub

tdub
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

Piper

Well, if you want to impress and money is no object, by all means go to either Murata or Hiroshi. Best in town, easily. Sure the most expensive, but....

Back to the original thread, Kappaya isn't that bad. We used to go there a lot in previous years. The owner is a really nice guy and does a nice job with standard fish offerings. However, his kimche that he makes for his Korean Rolls is spectacular. And if you are lucky in the winter, he has Oyster tempura and sushi on the menu. Very, very good. It is a good standard place. Nuttin' fancy, but friendly and these days they are &^%& busy a lot of the time....

tdub

#42 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

and these days they are &^%& busy a lot of the time....

We went about 2 weeks ago; I forgot to update. But if they were one thing, it was not busy. They were super-friendly, so points for that...but I was not enamored by what we got at all. (just a few rolls). Plus we both felt a little...not quite right afterwards, and I can only really pin it on Kappaya. I'm not 100% sure I won't go back, but it's unlikely.

I'd rather hit Yoko's -- yeah, it's not 3 blocks away, but it's a 3 minute drive for fresher fish and faster turnover, blah blah blee.

I'm counting pennies until we can get back to Hiroshi and do an omakase....sigh...

#43 mcattrone

mcattrone
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

Hey all,

Taking my new wife out for her Birthday on Saturday and the choice is Sushi. I'm interested what everybody's top reccomendations are beside Murata and Hiroshi. I think a sushi house just beneath what Murata and Hiroshi are doing is right up her ally. She is definately more into rolls as oppposed to Nigiri. Let me know if you have any quesitons. Thanks!!!

#44 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

SinJu in the Pearl for something nicer maybe? Or for something more lowkey, I like Ichidai on Powell at lot.

Hey, new wife! Congrats!

#45 mcattrone

mcattrone
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

I guess I should say First Wife, otherwise I might sound like a polygamist. Thanks!

#46 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

I like Yoko's on Gladstone. Sushi Mania has never failed me either.

#47 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

Masu East has a good variety of rolls, though the specialty rolls aren't cheap. But they've got some fun, tasty stuff in a pleasant space.

I merged this into an older thread, btw.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#48 thad-the-rice-eater

thad-the-rice-eater
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

Where would you go if you were going out to sushi. I've only been to conveyor belt sushi places, and would like to try a real or more "authentic " place. What places would you guys recommened.

#49 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Murata. Hiroshi. Masu East.

Best regards,

Amanda

#50 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:06 PM

second all those. albeit i havent yet eaten at masu east(had a cocktail waiting for our table at kens) im sure its atleast as good as the westside local.
I would also throw sin ju in the mix. Now if youre looking at less expensive options but still the traditional sushi bar experience, I would say gaya gaya(stick with nigiri as the rolls can be a little heavy on the mayo-y sauces)and hakatamon(sp?) at uwajimaya......
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#51 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

I'd second that list. Hiroshi for top notch and creativity (low light sake list). Masu East for creativity and good sake experience. Murata for hard core traditional top notch.

#52 flavorcountry

flavorcountry
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

It depends on what type of atmosphere you're looking for, places like Hiroshi and Masu are gonna be a bit more hip and more lively, but for a no-frills, relatively inexpensive, great-quality-of-fish place, give Hama a try on Sandy next to the old Trader Joes. You're not gonna find crazy-creative rolls, a well developed drink list, or a young-hip crowd, but you won't be disappointed with the quality of fish.

#53 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

It depends on what type of atmosphere you're looking for, places like Hiroshi and Masu are gonna be a bit more hip and more lively, but for a no-frills, relatively inexpensive, great-quality-of-fish place, give Hama a try on Sandy next to the old Trader Joes. You're not gonna find crazy-creative rolls, a well developed drink list, or a young-hip crowd, but you won't be disappointed with the quality of fish.

Along that line, I would recommend Takashi on Holgate. I LOVE this place! Looks like a place to avoid, from the outside, but inside? Oh yea!

#54 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hama for authentic

Hiroshi for fish

Murata for cultural display

Masu for hip

I eat at Hakatamon at least once a week and it is very inconvenient to me - a gallon of gas round trip. I like its overall package the best. Authentic, cozy, delicious, friendly, draft rice lager.

#55 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

I am by no means a sushi connoisseur, but if you want a step up from sushi-go-round without spending a lot of money, I enjoy Mio Sushi. I think the location on 23rd and Johnson is the best out of the ones I've tried. FYI, I eat rolls almost exclusively, and I think they have a lot of different options for a low cost. However, I have not been to any of the other places that are being recommended here, and I'm only recommending Mio Sushi because I think it fills a gap in 'price vs quality' that may not be filled by any of the other recommended sushi restaurants. If, on the other hand, any of these places are of the ilk where 2 people can eat themselves silly for $25, please let me know! <_<

#56 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

let me know too! <_< Probably going to try Hama and Takashi now though

#57 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:10 AM

I am by no means a sushi connoisseur, but if you want a step up from sushi-go-round without spending a lot of money, I enjoy Mio Sushi. I think the location on 23rd and Johnson is the best out of the ones I've tried. FYI, I eat rolls almost exclusively, and I think they have a lot of different options for a low cost. However, I have not been to any of the other places that are being recommended here, and I'm only recommending Mio Sushi because I think it fills a gap in 'price vs quality' that may not be filled by any of the other recommended sushi restaurants. If, on the other hand, any of these places are of the ilk where 2 people can eat themselves silly for $25, please let me know! <_<

2 for 25$???? i have eaten at mio a number of times and exceed that figure alone! by a lot!
would you really want to eat sushi at a place that is 12.50 per person? usually when i hit up gaya gaya or hakatamon, i spend about 35-40 by myself with no booze and i i find that to be moderately priced....does that sound out of line to the rest of you?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#58 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

My usual order with a beer at Hakatmon is between 10 and 15, and I leave feeling satisfied. Same numbers for Hama without beer. I've disliked every Mio I've been to (and end up spending more there).

#59 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

We usually hit $30 for two at Mio. If there's high quality fish, we're more likely to have the tastier stuff and consequently spend more. Mio's fish is simply 'fine' so we act accordingly. So for those of us who'd like a good Japanese meal on a regular basis, we're looking at ~$15 a person for rolls or some fish and a main dish with or without "specials" to up the price. If I'm going there often, and I can't go that long without Japanese, I'm hardly going to gorge on sashimi every time.

Gawd last time we were in the bay area, we spent 40-50 a person and had an amazing spread, the best I've yet to experience (I'm sure there's better I haven't come across yet). The fish and preparation were fantastic. I don't think the stuff in town compares so I'm not seeking to spend that kind of money.

#60 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

If you are looking for a nice step up from the typical conveyor belt Sushi restaurant, then Takahashi on SE Holgate (haven't been to the other locations) would be a great choice. They have a lot more than sushi and you can order many types of tempura in small $1-$2 portions, which we love for our daughter. They are closed on Monday and Tuesdays, however.

Another great option might be trekking out to Syun in Hillsboro. We have always enjoyed the warm environment and, like Takahashi, a very diverse menu to choose from beyond sushi.

I still haven't made it to any of the mentioned high-end sushi restaurants, but I hear nothing but great things from all that have. May be a little too big of a jump from what you are normally used to though.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls