• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Murata. No question. Get the salmon nigiri over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... Or just sit at the bar and say, "omakase"...

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

SOLD!..... I love your hearty recommendation! - - Do you get a commission if we go there?? (just kidding!). Does Murata have an extensive menu (or is it just sushi)? Also, do they take reservations?

Thanks again for the help!! .......Most appreciated.

#23 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:06 PM

DRAT!!! I just called Murata and found out they are closed on July 4th (the day I need to find a good Japanese/Sushi place).

Any other suggestions????

Is there a "close second" to Murata?

Thanks.........

#24 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

I haven't found one in Portland itself, yet, but I only go to places that come highly recommended; I don't explore sushi. There's one down in Lake Oswego, I think, that I haven't tried that gets high praise here. Someone else can chime in. Also, there's Syun in Hillsboro, but I've only had a limited meal there. All the other places in Portland I've tried, I think are a meaningful step down. But also, I'm VERY picky with seafood because usually I don't like it unless it's really at the very pinnacle of quality.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#25 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

Bush Garden is popular with tourists but...... that says it all. Obi is a hole in the wall but if you order carefully, you can do well. Their eel is, IMO, the best in town.

#26 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

Syun is a downhome izakaya, a very casual after-work type place typical in smaller Japanese cities. NOT a place to impress anyone. Besides, it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Only second-best is Obi. I love the rock & roll, avocadonia, traditional maki too.

Bush Garden, while acceptable, is a last resort.

Good luck finding something open on the 4th!
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#27 tuckerdog

tuckerdog
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

Nick I think is referring to Hiro"s Sushi in Lake Oswego. I am actually taking my daughter there tonight
It may be too neighborhood for out of town guests.
I like Sinju. Not a knock your socks off Sushi experience, but in my mind not bad
Both the downtown and Bridgeport Village locations are nicely appointed. It is a little expensive, but if it is impress the visitors time, certainly not too far out of line. Also more likely to be open on the 4th
Good luck
Michael

#28 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

I too think the constraining factor here will be that no one's open on the 4th.

I go to Hiro Sushi in L.O. sometimes and I think it's a step down from Murata, but the sushi quality is excellent and the preparations are nicely done. The fish will impress, but it's fairly casual.

If you don't end up at Hiro Sushi, I'd also recommend Sinju as tuckerdog did above. It's very nice inside and I think the sushi, while not in the same league as Murata, is very good.

#29 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

I just got off the phone with Sinju and they have not decided whether they are going to be open on the 4th or not. The woman answering the phone said that they would decide by next week.

I think the space is very attractive and I do like their food. We used to go there for lunch fairly often when I worked in the pearl. I would feel comfortable taking people there that I needed to impress.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#30 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

I just got off the phone with Sinju and they have not decided whether they are going to be open on the 4th or not. The woman answering the phone said that they would decide by next week.

I think the space is very attractive and I do like their food. We used to go there for lunch fairly often when I worked in the pearl. I would feel comfortable taking people there that I needed to impress.

Cat

Thanks, Cat!...... I'm having to rethink plans now that it seems most establishments are closed on the 4th. I'll definitely keep Sinju in mind, though.

#31 lmcaron

lmcaron
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

I had a friend in town who was here on business for an extended amount of time--he and his co-workers loved Masu, I think it's kind of hidden on SW 13th. I haven't been there, but it's on my list...

#32 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Masu is on 13th just 1.5 blks south of W. Burnside.
Good hip expensive place. I liked it.
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#33 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

MERGING

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#34 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

How's the sushi at PCG? A friend swears its really good, but I tend to thumb my nose at anything in the Pacific chain.

#35 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

According to their propaganda, they are the only place in Portland with a "Sushi Master", which, as I understand it, is a title bestowed only after 10 years of sushi schooling in Japan.

That being said, never tried it.

#36 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

How's the sushi at PCG? A friend swears its really good, but I tend to thumb my nose at anything in the Pacific chain.

Whats PCG?

#37 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

Portland City Grill

#38 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Jmatt, you are correct in that Syun fills a serious need as the only izakaya in the area. I'm sad to say that my girlfriend & I (especially she, and she's no uptight Ginza/Tokyo-type snob, far from it actually) were just not that impressed with the food.

I wish Takahashi were not so far out. I'd go there more often.

[Edited 6/15] Meiji-en on NE B'way between 22-24 is very good, not to mention close to my house, owner/chef from Sinju. Great tempura.

Obi is one of those unjustly overlooked places, been around forever, in oldtown, on 2nd or 3rd. Love the avocadonia & rock & roll. They have a picture book for their specialty rolls.

Hama (means "beach") Sushi is good, but I was kinda put off by their window sign that advertised a lunch special for a certain amount, but that was the price for only one of the four specials. A little misleading.

Yellow & red stuff? You mean the strange mayo sauces? Sad to say, that's authentic.

Just to show I don't complain about everything, we tried Takahashi on Holgate. An order of Potstickers, a whole bunch of Veggie and Shrimp Tempura, plus an order of Unagi, Amebi and Spider roll and hot tea only came to $35 with a tip, and everything was excellent. The Sushi was as good as I've had anywhere at any price.

#39 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

I had a quick lunch at Sinju the other day - miso grilled salmon.

Salmon was Atlantic. Marinade of soy and maybe some sesame. Overcooked, large portion 8 oz. Slathered with white miso sauce at the end which also contained mustard and a sweetening agent. Not very miso-y or mustard-y, and a little too sweet.

Came with salad, rice, miso soup. Salad was actually a very generous portion of stir fried veggies (mostly cabbage), but they weren't dressed - they just kinda tasted like safflower oil :-/

Rice was a very robust, longer grain than I'm used to other Japanese restaurants. Miso soup was very lightly flavored, generous amount of tofu and seaweed but didn't have the miso/seaweed kick I like from others.

They are a couple blocks away so I'm sure I'll be back for other standbys (saba, etc).

#40 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hama Sushi is a must try!!! It's a small place (seats about 28). No fancy sushi, just great sushi. You can be full for under 15 dollars. :think: .
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down