• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Paging...was it Amanda?

I was at Fubonn recently and got a can of jackfruit. I want to use it in a recipe--I seem to recall a savory recipe for it that someone made or posted? The can I got has it in sweetened syrup, so I wonder how I'm supposed to get past that to use it in a non-desserty-type recipe. Thoughts? Ideas? I didn't find any that weren't in sweet; I'm not sure if I looked in the wrong place or what. But I'd love to make something with it. :shifty:

Thanks in advance!

#2 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

Canned, sweetened jackfruit is meant for sweets.

Unripened jackfruit is used in many savory curries. I suppose ripened jackfruit may be also, but less so.

Someone may prove me wrong. I'm only talking about parts of India. Mebbe elsewhere sweet canned fruit is used as the base of savory dishes???
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, you need the green stuff.

You can use it just as you would meat, basically. What I do is pan-fry it first until browned and most of the water is out. Almost like you do with tofu, often. Then it will absorb flavors more and stand up texturally.

Vij's cookbook has a really nice tomato-based curry using jackfruit that I love. I can't find it on the internet, but if I remember, I'll post it when I get home.

Gudeg nangka is the standard Indonesian dish. Here's a recipe:

http://users.tpg.com...udegnangka.html

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

Eat that sweet stuff after a meal. You want the young green jackfruit in brine. Nick's recipe from Vij's is awesome, so definitely make that. I have only made carnitas with it. A friend of mine made pulled pork from it, but wasn't very happy with the results. I will say using it for Nick's recipe and the carnitas recipe works fantastic.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thanks! Okay, unripened green jackfruit. Check.

Any ideas what to do with the ripe sweetened stuff? Besides eat it from the can?

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

You can actually use it as a sweet element in spicy dishes, like you would pineapple in, say, a red curry. Or you could use it in a smoothie. Or you could use it to make an ice cream or sorbet. Or you could dice it up and servie it with tapioca and sweetened coconut milk with candied beans and other candied items. It has a firm texture and a mildly sweet tropical flavor.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Alright, fine. I'll transcribe it. Here's the link to the excellent Vij's cookbook so I don't feel all piratey about it: Vij's Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine - This cookbook rocks and his backstories are fun to read, both in the intros and each recipe.

Savoury Raw Jackfruit

3 cans (20 oz each) young or raw green jackfruit
6 black cardamom pods
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 cup finely chopped onions (1 large)
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
6 to 8 large whole dried red chiles, broken in half, with seeds
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 Tbsp ground black mustard seeds
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp Mexican chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp salt
1 cup water
6 cups oil for deep frying

Line 2 baking trays with clean, dry tea towels. Drain canned jackfruit and lay out pieces in a single layer on the tea towels to absorb any excess water. Set aside for about half an hour (if you leave it out too long, the jackfruit will become too dry).

Break open cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Discard the pods. Set aside the seeds.

Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Add cumin seeds and cook for about 30 seconds or until they begin to sizzle. Add onions and saute 8 to 10 minutes, or until brown. Add garlic and dried chiles, including their seeds, and saute for about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and add cardamom seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek, turmeric, chili powder, paprika, ground cumin, coriander and salt. Stir well and reduce the heat to medium.

Cook this masala, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes or until the oil separates from the tomatoes and the masala glistens. Stir in water, turn off the heat and set aside.

Line a baking tray with paper towels. Preheat a deep fryer to high heat or heat oil in a large heavy pan on high heat for 5 minutes. Drop a small piece of jackfruit into the oil. It should immediately float to the top and sizzle. Once the oil is hot enough, place jackfruit in the pan and fry for about five minutes, or until very light brown. Keep your face at a distance, as the jackfruit can spatter a bit. Using tongs, transfer fried jackfruit to the paper towels to drain any excess oil. Turn off the deep fryer. Cool jackfruit for 15 minutes.

Carefully stir jackfruit into the masala so the pieces don't break, then turn the heat on to medium. Once the masala starts to boil and the jackfruit is well mixed into the spices, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid after 5 minutes so the jackfruit does not overcook.

Spoon piping hot jackfruit curry onto six plates
We recommend a Supertuscan to go with the strong flavours.

#8 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Food food.. banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

For the sweet jackfruit, in addition, we use it cut into slices and add it with a can of longan and coconut jelly, etc... makes a nice sweet and quick dessert.
For the savory (green unripened) jackfruit, I like to eat it cut up, stir fried with fish sauce, peppers, and garlic, and then add some thai basil to it. Then add all that on top of a rice cracker (the rice paper that has sesame seeds on it that you toast up). This is a central Vietnamese style dish.

#9 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

You can use it just as you would meat, basically. What I do is pan-fry it first until browned and most of the water is out. Almost like you do with tofu, often. Then it will absorb flavors more and stand up texturally.

Vij's cookbook has a really nice tomato-based curry using jackfruit that I love. I can't find it on the internet, but if I remember, I'll post it when I get home.

So I've been wanting to try this recipe. In procuring the ingredients, I went first to Uwajimaya but unfortunately (of course?), they were out of the dried shrimp paste.

Drove all the way over to Fubonn and they had a couple of versions but I'm not certain I got the right stuff. The recipe refers to 'Belachan (Terasi)' and I bought 'Blachan Trassi Bakar'. It's 80% dried shrimp and 20% salt. Is that the right stuff?

TIA
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#10 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

So I've been wanting to try this recipe. In procuring the ingredients, I went first to Uwajimaya but unfortunately (of course?), they were out of the dried shrimp paste.

Drove all the way over to Fubonn and they had a couple of versions but I'm not certain I got the right stuff. The recipe refers to 'Belachan (Terasi)' and I bought 'Blachan Trassi Bakar'. It's 80% dried shrimp and 20% salt. Is that the right stuff?

TIA

Found this over on foodsubs.com :

shrimp paste = blachan = blacan = balachan = belacan = trassi (in Indonesia) = trasi = terasi = kapi = mam tom

So I guess I got the right thing.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#11 mkjh

mkjh
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

here i am sharing with you my favourite jackfruit curry....

Ingredients

1/2 green sliced jack fruit
3 nos. of peeled sliced potatoes
2 nos. chopped onions
1 tbsp. ginger paste
1 tbsp. garlic paste
1 tbsp. mustard oil
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. cummin powder
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
1/2 tsp. kashmir mirch powder
1 chopped tomato
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
For Garam Masala:
1 no. big elichi
2 nos. green cardamom
1/2 inch Cinnamon
2 nos. clove
a little star anise
a little jayatree & jaiphal
Directions
Put the sliced potatoes & green jackfruit into the pressure cooker. Add required water with 1/2 tsp. of salt. Allow to steam up to 2 whistles. Remove from fire & allow it to cool.
Put a frying pan in fire. Add 1 tbsp. of mustard oil to heat. Add bay leaves. Add chopped onion till it becomes light brown.
Add ginger & garlic paste and cook till the masala are fried.
Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, red chilli powder & mis with the masala.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook it for 2 minutes till the tomatoes got soften.
Add kashmir mirch powder.
Grind the garam masala ingredients & add to it. Add 1 cup of hot water.
Add boiled potatoes & jackfruits and cover it with a lid. Cook it for 3 minutes. (Do not use the water boiled with potato & jackfruit)
Serve with parata or rice.
Top 10 Botanical gardens
5 Shortlisted Blue Lipstick

#12 Easter72

Easter72
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

i'm planning on making some beef curry, but i also have some jackfruit on hand with nothing to use it for. i've noticed jackfruit is often used in vegetarian curry, but will it work well if put in with beef curry?

and for a bonus question: what kind of other things can you do with jackfruit? the great resource of the internet seems to be lacking any good information on it.