• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

We had someone call yesterday using a relay service fo the hearing impaired. They wanted to place a large catering order and even asked for our menus. I emailed them the menus and they sent back a request for salad for 100 people. Just salad. They also said they wanted to add an extra amount onto the bill for their delivery person and have us Western Union the delivery company the money. Which is where I got really suspicious. We've had deaf callers before, but obviously there was more to this. So I did some Googling and found some discussions, including this one:

http://scamguard.typ...-deaf-and-mute/

Relay calls are placed through a special operator. Traditionally, a hearing or speech-impaired person types the words she wants to say on the keyboard of a device called a TTY, which is attached to her phone. She transmits the words to the operator, who speaks them to the person she is calling, then converts that personís response to text, which displays on the callerís TTY.

There is no charge to either the caller or the called party; telephone companies that provide these services are compensated through the federally administered Telecommunications Relay Services Fund.

Internet relay services work the same way, but the caller uses a computer instead of a phone and TTY. As crooks in other countries have discovered, Internet relay calls can be made to US telephone numbers from anywhere in the world for free. So theyíve started to exploit the service, calling US businesses to order goods and services and providing phony or stolen credit card numbers for payment.

Relay service operators are caught in the middle. Functioning almost as human telephone wires, their job is to transmit exactly what is said. Relay calls are required to be 100 percent confidential. The operators canít interfere with the calls or interject their opinions in the conversations, even if they suspect that scams are occurring, and they canít report their suspicions to anyone.

I'm getting to the point with all the scams, spam, viruses, malware, etc, out there to thinking we should just bar places like Nigeria from access to the Internet in the United States until they get their shit together.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Happened to me about 3 weeks ago.

I knew something was fishy when they asked for 500 orders of fettucine alfredo and told me they'd have a heated truck ready to pick it up.

I challenged them on their CC information and they hung up.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Tried to make a report with the police. Left two messages on their voicemail and no call-back.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

Likely they just turned a deaf ear to you! ;)
signature

#5 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Perhaps some vindication:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2402045,00.asp
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com