Trip to Cuba

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

My wife Leslee has gotten pretty heavily into the whole Perma-culture movement in the past couple of years - she's planted our whole back yard with food crops, is raising chickens, is going to local self sufficiency organizational meetings, and is starting to look more and more like Eva Gabor (back in the 60's, not now, thank god!) and has started speaking with a Hungarian accent! :blush:

She's pushing for a trip in the winter to Cuba, as they've been a model country for the Perma-culture movement - evidently something like 80% of the population grows their own food. I'm game, as I've heard the music is amazing and many of the women are babes. I've also heard that, due to Obama's new openness to Cuba, that they're pretty welcoming towards Americans right now, as with more and more of the world (Gee, anybody heard anyone say how much they miss Bush lately?).

However, I've heard a couple of people lately say that the food there sucks, in general, unless you're able to get into some of the locals' homes where, evidently, they're allowed to have people in as paying customers in small, state-mandated numbers.

Anyone have any info or advice on this? Or experiences with Cuba?
signature

#2 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

Is it legal to travel to Cuba yet? The last I knew you had to enter via a third country and it was best that the US not know you went there. Which is not to say that I don't know someone who did it that way but....

#3 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:41 AM

Is it legal to travel to Cuba yet? The last I knew you had to enter via a third country and it was best that the US not know you went there.

That is correct - one can go through Canada or Mexico.
signature

#4 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:08 AM

Is it legal to travel to Cuba yet? The last I knew you had to enter via a third country and it was best that the US not know you went there.

That is correct - one can go through Canada or Mexico.

Or the Dominican Rep.

#5 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

Unless things have really changed in the last year or so, I'd argue that the food probably isn't going to be great, and if you're looking for great Cuban food, you should go to Miami or another community with a large ex-pat community.

I think it would be fascinating to go to Cuba, and there are lots of great, interesting things there, and certainly, you will eat better than the vast majority of Cubans simply because you have hard currency.

Yes, Cubans grow a lot of their own food -- because they have to. It's not some love of gourmet tomatoes, it's because they live in a country where it's extremely expensive as well as very difficult to get a lot of foodstuffs. And also, it was a poor country when it was a banana republic -- so the majority of people there never lost those foodways.

I'm just basing this on my experiences traveling in the east bloc before the fall of the iron curtain. I ate a lot of really lackluster food that was aimed at western tourists. My couple attempts to eat with the people were frightening with one exception, piroski and beer in an underground passage (maybe part of the subway?)

But I also have a couple of friends who have gone who aren't foodnerds but didn't seem to think the food was a highlight.

You should totally go, but I wouldn't expect a lot foodwise. And hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised (and I'll be wrong) - I do hope so.

#6 gummybob

gummybob
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

Cuban food is really similar to other foods near the Caribbean. There are a few variations, but you truly have to visit Cuba to understand what I mean. If you ever do get a chance to travel to Cuba, I recommend trying a dish called Platillo Moros y Cristianos. You will have to order it to find out what it is, but I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Over the years, I've begun growing and canning my own foods. This year I've been thinking about creating a survival seed bank so my family will be able to grow food if we are unable to get any from the grocery store. How much does it cost to gather enough kratom seeds for a seed bank?