Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

confirmed!

#62 beretta

beretta
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hi Everyone -

Please confirm your attendance at this event by posting here by Sat. I want to make sure that Stefania has an accurate final count.

Thanks.

yep, will be there!

#63 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Hi Friends:

Here is the preliminary menu from Stefania (looks good to me):

- antipasti: focaccia prosciutto and fig, pizzette, salamis, a cube of sformato di patate...
- Traditional lasagna
- fresh fettucine with norcina sauce (very traditional in my region Umbria, this sauce is made with "salsiccia" and I made my self !)
- tiramisù

Taste Unique is still pending a license from the OLCC. However, they checked with the OLCC and since this is a closed, private event we may bring our own wine with dinner. Stefania and Lawrence just cannot sell or serve us. So if you want wine, please bring some. I will have a corkscrew with me.

Phil and John D. have confirmed via email or PM. And I spoke with my +1 (DS) last night.

#64 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Calabrese + 1 (asked a friend tonight if he wanted to come along and he is in) <<<Confirmed
philthyanimal << Confirmed
Dimsumdiva +1 << Confirmed
ariel88+1
John DePaula << Confirmed
beretta << Confirmed
Lor << Confirmed

#65 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

In +1. Sorry for the delay - I'm in Atlanta until Sunday and have had limited internet access. I'll be back for the dinner though. :)

#66 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

In +1. Sorry for the delay - I'm in Atlanta until Sunday and have had limited internet access. I'll be back for the dinner though. :)

Great looking forward to seeing you.

#67 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

Calabrese + 1 (asked a friend tonight if he wanted to come along and he is in) <<<Confirmed
philthyanimal << Confirmed
Dimsumdiva +1 << Confirmed
ariel88+1 << Confirmed
John DePaula << Confirmed
beretta << Confirmed
Lor << Confirmed

#68 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

Thought I would share this from twitter....

http://img291.yfrog.com/i/mkj.jpg/

(Eggplant isn't even my thing but wow that looks tasty)

#69 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Don't forget to bring cash (and wine if you want it).

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow night.

#70 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

I was working on a long post and lost it......

So for now because I need to turn in for the night.... let me just thank Stefania and Lawrence for a great event.... they are great hosts and Stefania is a great chef..... I loved the sformato di patate and the cured pork with fennel the most but it was all great.... the sausage in the norcina sauce was also extremely tasty. I am stuffed and I am going to sleep well tonight.

It was great to meet Beretta and see the rest of you again.

#71 beretta

beretta
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

Thank you Calabrese, for putting this event together. I enjoyed it tremendously. Wonderful food, good conversation. It was nvery nice meeting everyone!

#72 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

Well I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to say “Bravo!” and “Fantastico!” to Stephania & Lawrence for such a superb meal. One couldn’t ask for more and I do not give out such praise lightly. I grew up in an Italian family and almost never eat Italian food outside of my own home. Why go to a restaurant when I can make better myself at home. But in this case, I’m glad I decided to give Taste Unique a try.

The antipasti plate of salamis was very generous, my favorite being the fennel sausage. And what was this ‘sformato di patate?’ Mild but full of flavor, I just can’t believe I haven’t had this dish before. This seems to be a casserole of mashed potatoes and spices and possibly some vegetables (if one desires), baked. Lovely. I must learn how to make this dish! Definitely going into my tapas repertoire.

As everyone has said, the focaccia was amazing just by itself (I’ve never had it so fresh), but to gild the lily Stephania also served it with prosciutto and fig. Wow! The crunchy saltiness of the bread played beautifully with the sweetness of the fig. I think I must be in heaven.

But no, heaven is yet to come in the form of house made lasagna with fresh pasta, probably made that day. The balance was perfect, rich and delicious with a béchamel sauce and ragù Bolognese, and a blend of Italian cheeses. These flavors were singing to my taste buds in perfect harmony.

As if that wasn’t enough, we then had fresh fettuccine with Norcina sauce. Such a simple but satisfying dish! Homemade sausage (Stephania is a genius here!) with fettuccine, white wine, onion?, a touch of cream and some freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Squisito!

Of course, the Tiramisù was the perfect end to a wonderful meal, though I probably shouldn’t have inhaled that cocoa powder quite so fast…

We are so lucky to have Taste Unique right here in Portland. Stephania is a gifted cook and she & Lawrence make a great team.

The nice thing is that you can get most of this from their freezer to bring home. I didn’t see the Sformato de patate in the freezer (perhaps this one doesn’t freeze well), but I think that most of the other items are available. I for one will like to keep my freezer stocked with that lasagna and the pasta sauces e.g. Norcina and the Amatriciana, which I’m eager to try.

Thank you to Calabrese for setting up this event. I think Stephania indicated that she might be interested in doing an all-vegetable dinner some night. I would LOVE to see that happen. Dove lei va, io seguirò. ;)

Ciao!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#73 Dimsumdiva

Dimsumdiva
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

Photos:

Attached File  P8170277.jpg   71.02K   6 downloads

Attached File  P8170278.jpg   71.56K   3 downloads

Attached File  P8170279.JPG   75.31K   2 downloads

Attached File  P8170280.JPG   64.9K   2 downloads

Attached File  P8170281.JPG   70.41K   3 downloads

Attached File  P8170282.JPG   67.28K   3 downloads