• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

I'd like to hit up Taste Unique with a small group sometime this month.... probably after 7/22. Takers? Dates?

#2 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Is the dine-in menu longer than what's on the website? It also seems pretty devoid of any vegetables, salads, or soups. I'm thinking there HAS to be another menu if they are going to do a real dine-in business.

Traditional Italian Lasagna
We make it like 50 years ago we make it with home made pasta, béchamel and ragù, mozzarella and parmigiano.

Vegetarian Lasagna
We love vegetables! This lasagna is made with our pasta, fresh local zucchini, thyme, béchamel and smoked provolone cheese, mozzarella and parmigiano.

Cannelloni with Spinach
Made with our fresh home made pasta, eggs, spinach plus ricotta cheese, béchamel, mozzarella and parmigiano.

Cannelloni with Zucchini
Our fresh home made pasta, delicious local zucchini, ricotta cheese, béchamel, mozzarella and parmigiano.

Meat Cannelloni
Our fresh home made pasta, local beef and pork, chicken, eggs, béchamel, and parmigiano.

Fresh Fettuccine
Made fresh everyday by Stefania and hand cut by knife

Pizzette
Small round pizzas ideal for small appetites or appetizers, choose your topping: margherita, tomato sauce, mushrooms, cheese....

Fresh pasta sauces:
Amatriciana Sauce - made with local pork belly
Ragù Bolognese - made with local grass fed beef
Norcina Sauce - made withour home made sausage
Marinara Sauce - the true Italian recipe

Dessert:

Pizza Bianca with Nutella
Salty warm Roman white pizza stuffed with delicious Nutella. A must try!!

Mignon Pastries
Home made sweet flaky crust, filled with fresh home made Italian creme. Plain or topped with fresh local berries.

Tiramisù
Home made with fresh mascarpone, real ‘Savoiardi‘ and good coffee.

Perhaps some research, photos, and a copy of the dine-in menu would shed some light on what they have to offer? Sounds very different from what's available at Justa Pasta or the other casual Italian places in town.

Sarah

#3 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:12 AM

I am going to try to figure out when I can get a scouting run in ...

#4 TheCook @ Taste Unique

TheCook @ Taste Unique
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hello, I'm Stefania Toscano and I'm Cook@TasteUnique. We silently opened about 2 weeks ago and it's great to see that food explorers have noticed us.
I cook traditional Italian recipes trying to use good local or ingredients.
I learned to cook from my mother and aunts in Perugia before I could even read... I moved to Portland a year ago and decided this was the best contribution we could give to the growing food scene in town.
I make everything from scratch. Cannelloni, Lasagne, Fettuccine, sauces, Roman salty focaccia, pastries.... We plan to rotate our menu regularly and if there is anything in particular that you would like to eat, just tell me....
As noted, we are not open for dinner and aren't really a restaurant. We can seat about 10 people and cook and serve lunch specials, but our objective is to give you a great meal to take out and eat at home.
I look forward to meeting any of you. Call ahead if you have any specific wishes.
Stefania.

Attached Files

The Cook @ TasteUnique

#5 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

Ciao Stefania -

Welcome to Portland Food Group.

So would it be OK, if 10 of us came by to have lunch at your place? We don't have a date in mind yet. If you don't post a reply here, I will try to call you on Friday.

Thanks,

N. Calabrese

Hello, I'm Stefania Toscano and I'm Cook@TasteUnique. We silently opened about 2 weeks ago and it's great to see that food explorers have noticed us.
I cook traditional Italian recipes trying to use good local or ingredients.
I learned to cook from my mother and aunts in Perugia before I could even read... I moved to Portland a year ago and decided this was the best contribution we could give to the growing food scene in town.
I make everything from scratch. Cannelloni, Lasagne, Fettuccine, sauces, Roman salty focaccia, pastries.... We plan to rotate our menu regularly and if there is anything in particular that you would like to eat, just tell me....
As noted, we are not open for dinner and aren't really a restaurant. We can seat about 10 people and cook and serve lunch specials, but our objective is to give you a great meal to take out and eat at home.
I look forward to meeting any of you. Call ahead if you have any specific wishes.
Stefania.

#6 TheCook @ Taste Unique

TheCook @ Taste Unique
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

Ciao, hmmm...I'm thinking about this. We can't sit together a single party of 10 people. I mean, we could, but it wouldn't be what you're probably thinking of.
I've attached a photo of our space to make you understand.
Unless you guys just want to take over and treat us like a real Italian kitchen, where everybody is either walking around or sitting anywhere.
And like a real kitchen, if you come for lunch, you'll have a choice of our lunch specials, plus anything that's cooking in the pot (and you might have a choice there too if we talk ahead).
Just let me know.
A presto.
Stefania

[quote name='Calabrese' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:17 AM' post='121468']
Ciao Stefania -

Welcome to Portland Food Group.

So would it be OK, if 10 of us came by to have lunch at your place? We don't have a date in mind yet. If you don't post a reply here, I will try to call you on Friday.

Thanks,

N. Calabrese

Attached Files

The Cook @ TasteUnique

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

Ciao, hmmm...I'm thinking about this. We can't sit together a single party of 10 people. I mean, we could, but it wouldn't be what you're probably thinking of.
I've attached a photo of our space to make you understand.
Unless you guys just want to take over and treat us like a real Italian kitchen, where everybody is either walking around or sitting anywhere.
And like a real kitchen, if you come for lunch, you'll have a choice of our lunch specials, plus anything that's cooking in the pot (and you might have a choice there too if we talk ahead).
Just let me know.
A presto.
Stefania

Ciao -

Thanks for the photos. A picture is worth 1000 words. ;-) We are known to be flexible when we are in pursuit of food. It might make sharing (which we do a lot of) more difficult but not impossible.

However, we never want to overwhelm a place or be too imposing. I will try to get over there this weekend (no promises because my schedule is a bit crazy) and meet you in person. Good Italian food in Portland is something I am always questing for (being of Calabrian descent and all).

I would probably like to do this in August or September. We will keep talking.

Grazie,

Calabrese

#8 TheCook @ Taste Unique

TheCook @ Taste Unique
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Calabrese, come over anytime. If you'd dropped by today, you could have tasted these Zucchine Ripiene (stuffed zucchini).
Cheers to you and your friends.
Stefania

Attached Files

The Cook @ TasteUnique

#9 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Ciao Stefania. I am sorry. I was way too busy last weekend and I did not think you would be open on Sundays. Yesterday, I had internet network issues and could not answer you. I will definitely try to come by this weekend.

I was at Tart last night with a group and looked into your windows. But I still want to drop by and talk.

Grazie

#10 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Stefania - Those zucchine look amazing!

#11 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Hi.

This afternoon, I stopped by to meet with Stefania and talk about what would be possible for a group dinner for PFG.

I had some samples of desserts and the tiramisu is the best tiramisu I can remember tasting. My eyes were rolling up. The focaccia with nutella in the middle and sea salt on top was nothing like I expected. The nutella is kind of like a caramel foil to the salt and the homemade focaccia is a great pastry vessel for the nutella.

I brought home some canneloni that I will be eating later this week.

Here are the rough details for a group meal. Stefania would like to make dinner for us on a Monday night as it would be the best day for her to prep for something like this. Our dinner would start at 7 PM (after her normal closing). There will be 3 courses - anitpasti, main, dessert (I think the tiramisu would be stellar).

Price for 3 courses will be in the $20 per head range.

I am thinking Aug. 3 or maybe Aug. 10. I am going to start out by saying Aug. 3. However, if you are interested and Monday 10 works better please speak up.

She will take a group of 10 people.

Right now she has no liquor license but there might be an option for us to bring wine or possibly her license will be approved by the time we do this.

I am really looking forward to this. Authentic Italian food in Portland cooked by a passionate (and I can tell from talking to her that she is passionate about good food) chef. :D :wub: :wub:

#12 craig

craig
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm interested. Either date works for me.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#13 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

List so far:

Calabrese
Craig

#14 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

Split off Phil's impromptu event to avoid confusion

#15 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

sorry...didnt mean to hijack your thread.

#16 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

sorry...didnt mean to hijack your thread.

not a problem. don't worry about it.

#17 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

Just to be very clear. Phil wants to just have people join him and go in during normal business hours and order off the menu.

This event will be off hours on a day chosen by the chef so that she can prepare something special for our group. Mondays are slow for her. This event is a 3 course prix fixe meal with options for meat eaters and vegetarians. The chef would also like to interact with us during this event.

Stefania is a gracious person, good chef, and supporter of the locavore movement in so much as possible. I feel it would be a privilege to spend an evening in her care.

#18 octrvlr

octrvlr
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Count me in! Sounds wonderful. Great photos! So nice of her to accomodate us this early on. I'm available either Aug 3 or 10th.

#19 Lor

Lor
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

I would love to, but I work in the burbs, and it will be busy at work for the next few weeks : (

#20 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

The pictures look amazing! I'm interested depends on the dates and time.

Thx,
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com