• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Saw this cart just north of Powell on 50th today. I drive this way nearly every day and never noticed it before, so I would guess it's pretty new. Tweeted about it and haven't heard anything.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location:SE 50th and Kelly 3 blocks N. of Powell ("WEAVE" parking lot)

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

I'm the owner of Wy'east Pizza. I just opened the cart last week, and will be open from now on Tues. through Sat. 4pm-8pm. I make 12 inch whole pies only. I have very basic toppings, and hand made dough daily. I'm working out some new found kinks with my oven, but hopefully it'll be at 900 degrees this week.

Squish

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Nice. Thanks for posting and giving us the inside info.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 pdxscoob

pdxscoob
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

Hey Squish,
Sounds fantastic. What beverages will you be serving with the pizzas? Request from the wife for Mexican Coke as she is allergic to HFCS and is a big pizza freak. Keep us updated on the oven.

#5 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

Hey Squish,
Sounds fantastic. What beverages will you be serving with the pizzas? Request from the wife for Mexican Coke as she is allergic to HFCS and is a big pizza freak. Keep us updated on the oven.

Scoob,

I have an assortment of Izze's sparkling juice. It doesn't have HFCS so she should be ok, however, I don't think they make a "coke" flavor. We like pizza freaks!

Squish

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

I knew a dude named Squishy before.

Cool guy.

#7 sarah.97206

sarah.97206
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

I have personally eaten (parts of) eight pizzas here in the last week. This is really good pizza. A super hot oven, a perfect crust, and really good quality, simple ingredients. It comes close to being as good as Ken's Artisan Pizza, even without the wood-fired oven (which I think was probably the right choice for avoiding death by asphyxiation in a tiny camping trailer...). Go eat this pizza.

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to the board, Sarah.97206!

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

in full disclaimer, i should say squish is a friend of mine. but i should also say that you should check out this pizza. the pies come together amazingly well, good balance of flavors/ingredients, great crust. the char is pretty impressive, considering the teensy oven (i mean char as a good thing). i'd say that they're on par with the best in town, and there's the added benefit that you can eat outside, or get one to go pretty quick.

#10 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

phone number for take out?

#11 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

The pizzas take about 7 minutes to make and bake. I'm not giving out the phone number just yet to call in ahead of time til I can figure out my #'s. We are planning on giving the number so people can call their order in, just not quite yet.

Squish

#12 Leah_PDX

Leah_PDX
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

The pizzas take about 7 minutes to make and bake. I'm not giving out the phone number just yet to call in ahead of time til I can figure out my #'s. We are planning on giving the number so people can call their order in, just not quite yet.

Squish

Hey Squish -

Do you ever do special events - which is to say, in spots other than your Powell spot? I'm at the Oregon Jewish Museum and we'd love to invite you to a street festival we're planning for the evening of August 6th. We're closing down NW Davis between 3rd and 4th from 6-10pm and have invited local bands, food carts, and will also have free art projects. If you'd like more information or think this is something you might be interested in, please contact me at:
. . . . . . . .
Leah Faw
Education Coordinator, Oregon Jewish Museum
education@ojm.org
310 NW Davis St, PDX, OR, 97209
(503) 226-3600
http://www.ojm.org/

Look forward to hearing from you!
Leah

#13 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

Squish

Hey Squish -

Do you ever do special events - which is to say, in spots other than your Powell spot? I'm at the Oregon Jewish Museum and we'd love to invite you to a street festival we're planning for the evening of August 6th. We're closing down NW Davis between 3rd and 4th from 6-10pm and have invited local bands, food carts, and will also have free art projects. If you'd like more information or think this is something you might be interested in, please contact me at:
. . . . . . . .
Leah Faw
Education Coordinator, Oregon Jewish Museum
education@ojm.org
310 NW Davis St, PDX, OR, 97209
(503) 226-3600
http://www.ojm.org/

Look forward to hearing from you!
Leah

At this point in time, we are staying put. Although the trailer does have wheels, I'm not certain how many miles she really has left in her. She is bending a bit in the heat, and we want to keep her upright as long as we can. Currently, she supports over 1000 lbs. of weight. Thank you for your interest.

Squish

#14 mzwong

mzwong
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

Do you have a price range to list? I love all of the new food carts with more substantial offerings, but rarely have much cash on hand, so I need to plan ahead!

#15 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

Do you have a price range to list? I love all of the new food carts with more substantial offerings, but rarely have much cash on hand, so I need to plan ahead!

Whole pies start at $11 for basic cheese and go up to $15 or $16 depending on the toppings you want. Pies are about 12". I do not do slices.

#16 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

Stopped there yesterday and got a margherita (mozzarella, basil) for me and one with olives for my husband. Squish and Red were delightful to talk to while the pizzas cooked. As others have said on this thread, it's wonderful. The crust ranks up there with the greats. Also, it's amazing to get a pizza so fast. My husband ate all of his right off and loved it. I saved most of mine because I loved it. People are strange. Anyway, we'll go back for sure.

#17 LaurenSE

LaurenSE
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

This is my first post on portland food, but I promise I have no special connection to the Wy'East folks! They happened to park their pizza cart at the end of our street, which has been really lucky for us. As others have said- really fast, delicious pizza and plenty for 2 people. My favorite part has actually been the sauce - good & tangy with enough garlic. This has been important to me as I'm avoiding dairy these days. The owners have been so nice - happy to make a 1/2 and 1/2 pie for us because of the no-cheese thing, which I imagine is a little annoying to a pizza maker. Glad they're in the neighborhood!

#18 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

This is my first post on portland food, but I promise I have no special connection to the Wy'East folks! They happened to park their pizza cart at the end of our street, which has been really lucky for us. As others have said- really fast, delicious pizza and plenty for 2 people. My favorite part has actually been the sauce - good & tangy with enough garlic. This has been important to me as I'm avoiding dairy these days. The owners have been so nice - happy to make a 1/2 and 1/2 pie for us because of the no-cheese thing, which I imagine is a little annoying to a pizza maker. Glad they're in the neighborhood!

Hey Lauren,
Glad you're liking the sauce! It is no problem (not annoying at all) to make half vegan and half whatever. We're glad we're at the end of your street too!

Squish

#19 ponzu

ponzu
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

Squish,

I'm a bit of a Pizzamaniac so excuse the coming avalanche....

Are you using a poolish or commercial yeast to make your product?
Are you using a cold proofing tecnique?
What kind of an oven do you have, what are the current temps running?
It sounds like you're aiming for a Napolitan style pie, is that right?
WHo are you pizza influences?

Cant wait to check out the pies

#20 Squishwy'east

Squishwy'east
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Squish,

I'm a bit of a Pizzamaniac so excuse the coming avalanche....

Are you using a poolish or commercial yeast to make your product?
Are you using a cold proofing tecnique?
What kind of an oven do you have, what are the current temps running?
It sounds like you're aiming for a Napolitan style pie, is that right?
WHo are you pizza influences?

Cant wait to check out the pies

Wow! preferment, with commercial yeast. Proofing @ room temp. (in a cart, that's 100) My oven is a "Barbie Dream pizza oven" only recommended to beautiful, leggy pizzaiolas. Pizzas cook @ right around 800. I have very thin crust...Come check 'em out!

Squish