Au Jus from beef broth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Anybody got a good recipe for making Au Jus from canned beef broth. This will used for Italian beef sandwiches from store bought Italian roast beef. The search feature would not let me search for Jus cause it only has 3 letters.

Thanks

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

I'd suggest:

use low sodium stock
optional: brown a bit of finely chopped beef, cheaper the better, on medium-high heat to build a nice fond
sautee onions, a lot of garlic, then dried Italian herbs in oil
add stock and simmer until reduced by as much as half, or to taste
season
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

I'd suggest:

use low sodium stock
optional: brown a bit of finely chopped beef, cheaper the better, on medium-high heat to build a nice fond
sautee onions, a lot of garlic, then dried Italian herbs in oil
add stock and simmer until reduced by as much as half, or to taste
season

Thanks Nick. Sounds good.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

When you sautee the onions, it should release enough water to scrape up the fond off the bottom of the pan and keep it from getting too dark. Add the garlic after the onions have been sauteed a bit.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#5 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

When you sautee the onions, it should release enough water to scrape up the fond off the bottom of the pan and keep it from getting too dark. Add the garlic after the onions have been sauteed a bit.

I just made these and they were excellent. Mot quite as good as from home made Italian roast beef but definitely a keeper. Winco has a good very thinly sliced Italian roast beef that is very good, and perfect for these sandwiches. The au jus turned out terrific. Made em on a brown and serve sourdough loaf that held up well to the jus. Not authentic I know, but we liked it better.

#6 joeleatspdx

joeleatspdx
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

Mmmm. Kitchen Bouquet, the king of the "WITH au jus"
-- bacon IS a food group.