Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

I'm going to write as well.

#42 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

I'm going to write as well.

That's great! If you're on Facebook or twitter, use those forums too to get the word out.

#43 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

Ridiculous is the polite word for it. I picked up one of T&T pork porterhouses from the butcher at Pastaworks earlier today and am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the email addy. I will send my thoughts to them.

#44 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

I hope lots of people do this! There's plenty of space along the fencing on the left end of the market for more booths, and other places too. Like I said in my letter to PFM, while I understand that they were brought on for the shoulder season, PFM needs to rethink this because removing them from the market is not only a loss for T&T, it's a loss for the market and for the hundreds of followers that have bought their product over the past weeks. Their product is not only fantastic, their farm is probably the most humane and serene farm setup I've ever seen. There is no comparable product being offered at the PSU market. Market shoppers have voted with their wallets overwhelmingly that they want T&T there. Removing them is short sighted and a disservice to all.

#45 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Not having had the benefit of the handout, here's what I ended up doing:

1. Contemplated (per above email) whether and when to cut off some of fat. Tasted fat. Swooned from pleasure. Decided to leave it all on.

2. Scored fat layer into diamonds, heated at 350 for about 45 minutes.

3. Too lazy for anything fancy, so glazed with orange-marmalade/garlic/OJ/mustard.

4. Heated about another 45 minutes.

Unbelievably good. The flavor of the pork itself was incredible, and the flavor from the glaze that made it through the scorings on the fat suited the pork very well. Nobody seemed to mind needing to cut away the extra fat (and skin), and I noticed that some guests were eating quite a bit of the fat with their meat.

I'm officially a Tails and Trotters convert. No more chemical-infused spiral-sliced hams for me....

And at $30, the "size medium" ham was a great value, too. I fed six people on HALF of it, and have another big chunk in the refrigerator for this week, with another in the freezer.

I am totally doing this for Sunday supper this week.

#46 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

Okay, there's always two sides to a story. What's the other side? I'm sure the market has no interest in booting a popular booth for the sake of booting them unless there is a reason. Contractually or what-not... I don't know.

Something ain't right.

#47 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

I'LL FREAKING TELL YOU WHAT'S NOT RIGHT!

What's not right is that I don't have any T&T chorizo in my freezer at the moment, which is why I'm 30 seconds away from heading out to the market!

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#48 Leeper

Leeper
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

A couple thoughts on keeping them at the Saturday market.

How many pork shops are really needed? They added two new ones at the start of the year, T&T and the one on the far south end (Eat well?). These are in addition to the Northwest Heritage booth and the Sweet Brier guys. I'm a pretty large pork fan but I do think that there are 1-2 too many booths selling pork as it is today.

Isn't the T&T farm in Eastern Washington somewhere? I know they are processing the stuff locally but I thought the market was trying to cut down and the purveyors that are shipping in their source product. I know the NW Heritage pigs are in McMinnville and the new guys are being processed by Buxton in Sandy but I don't know where the pigs are coming from.

I do love the T&T pork, have a couple large chops in the freezer now but I'm not sure how much pork needs to be at the market.

#49 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

Okay, there's always two sides to a story. What's the other side? I'm sure the market has no interest in booting a popular booth for the sake of booting them unless there is a reason. Contractually or what-not... I don't know.

Something ain't right.

From what I understand, they were always just supposed to be there until late-April (shoulder season) so it's not like they're being booted without any warning. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to stay (and have contacted PFM to let them know this) but I don't think that there's anything dodgy going on here. I think PFM are in a tricky position here.

#50 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

Something ain't right.

From what I understand, they were always just supposed to be there until late-April (shoulder season) so it's not like they're being booted without any warning. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to stay (and have contacted PFM to let them know this) but I don't think that there's anything dodgy going on here. I think PFM are in a tricky position here.

I think there's room, both physically & philosophically, for one more. The people have spoken with their wallets, they are buying T&T pork like crazy. I don't know numbers to know if T&T sales at the expense of the other pork purveyors at the market (which, the very thought of this as a possible valid argument for not renewing their stay really grates against me), but I do know that T&T is very active on social media & has a following of buyers from there and from Brownlow's previous projects, and from people eating their pork in restaurants & wanting to buy it direct. I would guess that the other pork suppliers aren't suffering in sales because of T&T's existence at the PFM. I say let them stay. There's plenty of space. And while they're at it, give K&Z the booth they've been asking for. Sorry, they can have "rules" and whatever other logical reasons for choosing who's in or out. But when you've got a popular vendor with great product from a beautiful sustainable farm & it's priced affordably, really folks, just give 'em a space.

#51 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

I think it's fine if they have rules and cut places out when they're not local enough or have retail spaces, etc. But I'd like to see it more consistently applied and I'd like to see more emphasis on quality over tenure. For God's sake get rid of Gabriel's already.

But I've said much of this before here:

http://extramsg.com/...ening-day-2010/

And Ann, the market director, has responded to some of these complaints.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#52 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

Back to T & T...the ham I served to folks tonight for Sunday supper was a big hit. Gosh...just so wonderfully flavorful! I had six for dinner and I still have half of the medium ham left. So very, very delicious!

#53 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

Forget the politics for a second. I've always been about THE FOOD, so if you're looking for more PSU pig politics, just go ahead and skip this post.

If you've made it to the second paragraph, I'm here to tell you that I dropped by the T&T tent yesterday. I read on Facebook that Morgan was making some chorizo, and that it would be available at the PSU market. He did, and it was, and I got some, and I made some hash with it.

Posted Image
Here's what the booth looks like. Morgan's the guy on the right.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Here are a couple price boards.

Posted Image
Some of the piggy. From the upper left and going clockwise, you've got marrow bones, chorizo links, tenderloin, belly, and "the perfect cut", which is part jowl and part shoulder.

Posted Image
Here's my loot. It includes a bit of cabbage rabe and lamb, neither of which is a T&T product.

I decided to make a hash for brunch. mrs. sacman and I usually have something along these lines for brunch on Sundays. A lot of the time, the hash is a meat, russet potatoes, onion, and a fried egg over the top. I've been on a soyrizo kick lately, but guess what? No soyrizo today. Nope! Today, it's the real deal, from T&T.

Posted Image
Here's the mise. Clockwise, starting from the upper left, you've got eggs, chorizo, potatoes, fresh Mexican jalapenos, fresh cilantro, fresh red bell pepper, onion.

Posted Image
I cooked the potato separately from the other goodies. I usually do it this way because it offers me a lot of control over the doneness of the potato. mrs. sacman and I are big fans of "crispy on the outside and tender on the inside." Here's a shot of the chorizo and onions cooking.

I made a mistake in the preparation, though. It's not one I'll repeat. After the chorizo and onions had cooked down, there was a decent amount of oil in the bottom of the pan. I spooned some of this oil over the potatoes...for flavor or so I thought. Well...I was right, it did add to the flavor of the dish. It also degraded the crispiness of the potatoes, though.

Posted Image
This is the dish, combined on a plate, but before the fried egg has been added.

Posted Image
Finally, here is the dish with the fried egg on top.

This was one of the most delicious hashes I've ever made; and as I mentioned, hashes are a pretty common occurrence in the sacman household. I actually had mrs. sacman cook her own eggs...she did a better job on her eggs than I did on mine (look carefully at the above picture...on the extreme left is a 3rd yolk...BROKEN!).

The chorizo definitely makes this dish. I've had the T&T chorizo before, and its always good. In this dish, though, it's great!

Back to politics. If T&T gets booted from the Saturday market, all is not lost. Don't forget that you can still get this great pork at the Buckman market, starting next month.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#54 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

I think it'd be fun to do a blind tasting of T&T vs some other local and national pork if anyone would be up for it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#55 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

I think it'd be fun to do a blind tasting of T&T vs some other local and national pork if anyone would be up for it.

I've got a few chops in the freezer. Plus we just cooked a ham..OMFG! I am up for a tasting, but I don't think that anyone will come out ahead over T & T...it's the best around.

People ate all of the fat AND the rind on the T & T ham...it's just so fucking good. Such a great thing to serve for company!

#56 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

Back to hams: Next time you're looking for one, check out the ingredient list. If water is the first or second ingredient, it's going to be one of those crappy, spongy supermarket/honeyglazed hams that give hams a bad name. Look for a ham that's firm - almost hard - and is heavy for its size.

And Jennifer, next time try slicing your ham A LOT thinner, like 1/32" or even thinner if you can. I actually slice it starting at the top of the ham and sort of parallel to the worktable, at a slight angle (maybe 20 degrees). It will go further and taste better.
signature

#57 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'm not only down with that, I'm up for it too. I happen to have a package of T&T pork skin in my freezer, so maybe I could fry them up and we could compare them with the Frito-Lay brand.

-sacman

#58 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

sacman, you've got two of the same photos in your post. I can't see your loot!

#59 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

I've got a few chops in the freezer. Plus we just cooked a ham..OMFG! I am up for a tasting, but I don't think that anyone will come out ahead over T & T...it's the best around.

A blind tasting would be really fun! I'd also like to throw Sweetbriar Farms into the mix also, I read somewhere (on this board? i can't remember) that they also finish their pigs on hazelnuts.

#60 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

And Jennifer, next time try slicing your ham A LOT thinner, like 1/32" or even thinner if you can. I actually slice it starting at the top of the ham and sort of parallel to the worktable, at a slight angle (maybe 20 degrees). It will go further and taste better.

Thanks for the tip Ken! I'll pass this info onto Max for the next time he cooks up one of these monsters! We're still thinking about that ham.