• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

What has really disappointed me lately is the completely wild variance of standards of places serving Stumptown. I used to get really excited when a coffee shop that served Stumptown beans would open close to home or work and I would always choose those cafes over any other. Now it seems with the increase of local presence has come a real decrease in quality at these places. I used to drink soy mochas until recently--these drinks were a revelation at any Stumptown cafe and the Fresh Pot, but nowhere else. In fact, they were and are typically not very good, but cost just as much. I switched to soy lattes and americanos lately to back off the sugar and this holds true for these as well, except it is more obvious because you rely on the coffee more than you do with a mocha that can mask a bad shot.

Beans are only part of the equation - you need a skilled barista, well maintained equipment...
It's easy to make terrible coffee from great beans.

#42 nancyromm

nancyromm
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

I am not impartial, as my husband Din Johnson is the roaster, but anyone who wants to try another great coffee in Portland should come by Ristretto Roasters, 3520 NE 42nd (at Fremont). Everyone knows that Starbucks' coffees are for the most part terrible because they overroast nearly every characteristic right out of the bean; you can't taste the chocolate in a Papua New Guinea Lahamenegu or the blueberry in an Ethiopia Harrar if the poor beans have been incinerated. What is not as common knowledge is that roasted coffee should be drunk as soon after roasting as possible. This is one of the reasons people love Stumptown, because they get it fresh. Same at Ristretto. Of course, I'd love to be the little angel that sits on every bean-buying customer's/wholesale account's shoulder whispering, "Now, now, drink it NOW!" but, as Kyle says, you can only educate, you cannot police.

#43 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Malachi--that was precisely my point or are you agreeing with me? I thought I was overly clear (in my few posts on this topic) about the fact lots of these places using Stumptown were screwing up coffee from otherwise good beans.

#44 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

Beans are only part of the equation - you need a skilled barista, well maintained equipment...
It's easy to make terrible coffee from great beans.

I Have a question for you 2 Stumptowners.......For those coffee shops that claim to serve Stumptown beans, do you guys have some sort of system in place to make sure they ARE using your beans? Like minimum orders or random audits?

Our start into this world of pizza was buying an existing business out in Scholls which happened to revolve around being a very bad coffee shop that claimed to have their own blend of beans roasted weekly. After owning it, looking at the books & speaking with the local roaster, it was obvious she was a liar. It appears that when times got tough she started using bulk Costco beans & skimping on 1/2 cup per brew! When we opened up, her customers, or our new customers, constantly complained how they hated our coffee because it was too strong!! (we didn't buy it to become baristas, so coff3e was gone 3 months later)

I have a feeling this time of situation maybe happening to Stumptown as well, it's not all about training, it's also about your customers (shop owners) who simply don't care about a great cup of coffee.

kim @ apizza

#45 Uncle_Kyle

Uncle_Kyle
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

i have never heard of that issue coming up. fortunately, we have very good wholesale reps that take a lot of time and energy in working with people before even comitting to do business with them. accounts are turned quite often. we don't just throw our coffee at people and then send them a bill. not to be redundant, but quality is the biggest concern.

on the other end of that topic, i have seen one occurence where someone(a nameless popular southeast breakfast spot) said they were roasting their own coffee, and then i saw them tossing beans from stumptown bags into their grinder. it kind of made me laugh, because i have heard the staff shit talk stumptown several times, and they will scream at you if you even set an inch in their cafe with a cup of stumptown. i've been in a couple of times since then, because the food is great, and i kept an eye out, but they were filling the grinder with different beans. maybe it was just a one time deal. again, it kind of pissed me off, but at the same time it made me laugh. :o :P :P

#46 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

I just came back from the 2006 BEST Awards. For those who like coffee, here's another great reason to drink Stumptown:

They just won the City of Portland's Office of Sustainable Development 2006 Award Best Practices for Sustainability for a Medium Sized Business. They don't just care about selling you a cup of coffee. They care deeply about the whole process, and its effects, from seed to cup!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Best regards,

Amanda

#47 nancyromm

nancyromm
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

On the issue of Fair Trade coffee (which I assume is part of the caring Amanda refers to): Anyone interested to know the real meaning--and effects--of Fair Trade would do well to check out Absolution in Your Cup, by Kerry Howley, in the March issue of Reason magazine.

#48 Uncle_Kyle

Uncle_Kyle
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

thanks for the shout out, amanda.

#49 Momo

Momo
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

I'm a fan of Albina Press too. Also just heard that Portland is getting a Segafredo near Lloyd Center in the place where Terrafazione used to be.