189 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

http://www.oregonliv...at_simpati.html Melander

"Call it good fortune or ace timing. Simpatica owners Benjamin Dyer, David Kreifels and Jason Owens -- known for their popular weekend supper club and Sunday brunch destination -- inked a deal to buy a worn-down convenience store last September, about a week before the economy froze. "I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to get a loan even a month later," Dyer says.
The group has been tight-lipped about details on their first full-on restaurant. Platter has learned that the partners plan to open Laurelhurst Market, an informal riff on the steakhouse with an in-house butcher shop at 3155 E. Burnside St., in mid-May. Situated by the gothic stone gates marking the entrance to the stately Laurelhurst neighborhood, the 2,500-square-foot venture retains the name of the longtime mini-mart it's replacing. The trio considered calling it Viande, after their esteemed butchery outfit sold recently to former employees (now Chop Butchery & Charctuerie in Northwest's City Market). But, according to Owens, the group's 36-year-old general manager, they liked the neighborly ring of the old market's moniker.

The name (plus three exterior walls) is all that remains of the former occupant. The blocky structure is now shot through with natural light thanks to a facade of sliding windows and a side garage door that rolls to the rafters to transform the bar into an alfresco lounge. Terracotta, olive and slate hues will serve as an earthy backdrop to the country French-Italian cookery the Simpatica clan is known for.

Laurelhurst Market is conceived as a casual, comfy steakhouse where steak frites goes for $18 and less sumptuous cuts of beef -- bavette, flat iron, hanger, skirt and cross-cut short ribs -- are thrust into the limelight. Steaks will be served a la carte, with vegetable sides at $4 to $6. The menu promises wide appeal, with seasonal fish grilled on cedar planks, poultry, pork and lamb entrees, a ground-to-order burger that should be spectacular, bountiful salads and seafood cocktails. "I'm not reinventing," says Kreifels, the 31-year-old head chef. "I see it as classic steakhouse stuff done really properly." "

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

So this is getting VERY close to opening -- as in any day now. It seems like I keep running into people who are about to leave a quality gig for here. Sounds like they're putting together a bit of a dream team. I can't remember if the restaurant or the butcher shop is going to open first. I'm sure there are people here who know more details than myself. Should be one of the most welcome openings this spring and I suspect it will popular from day one.

From the website:

Brought to you by the chef/owners of Simpatica Dining Hall and Catering and Viande Meats & Sausage. Nowhere else in Portland will offer the experience Laurelhurst Market will deliver.

During the day - a butcher shop offering the finest fresh, all natural meats, sausages made in house and artisanal charcuterie. Sandwiches made to order with our house cured meats - smoked ham, rare roast beef, oven roasted turkey and smoked pastrami. Pates, rillettes, duck confit and all of the needs of the home chef.

At night - the restaurant. Think steakhouse, then break out of the box. Steak Frites, with housemade French fries. Handmade pastas. French onion soup. A restaurant with the finest in house larder in the city. Hand selected produce from the Willamette Valley's most talented and dedicated farmers. Fresh local seafood, grilled to order on a cedar plank. Pull up a stool at our bar, featuring the talents of our head bartender, Evan Zimmerman, showcasing his handmade bitters, tonics and infusions.

Laurelhurst Market
3155 E. Burnside
Portland, OR 97214
http://www.laurelhurstmarket.com

Butcher Shop Hours - Open Daily From 10am to 7pm
Butcher Shop Phone: (503)206-3099

Restaurant Hours - Open Wednesday Thru Monday From 5pm to 10pm
Restaurant Phone: (503)206-3097

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

I personally can't wait! We need a good butcher shop this side of the river... City Market is a bitch to get too.. 33 and Burnside ain't bad.

I think we need to have a Pastrami Showdown when they open though!

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

I imagine it will taste a lot like their pastrami did at Viande. I think the question will be how they're slicing/heating it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

I imagine it will taste a lot like their pastrami did at Viande. I think the question will be how they're slicing/heating it.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

I'm pumped. This is at a perfect location for me!!! Vive Viande in its new incarnation!

Best regards,

Amanda

#7 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

A little bird tweeted in my ear that the 18th is d-day.

I can't wait either.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#8 Nettie

Nettie
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

So this is getting VERY close to opening -- as in any day now. It seems like I keep running into people who are about to leave a quality gig for here. Sounds like they're putting together a bit of a dream team. I can't remember if the restaurant or the butcher shop is going to open first. I'm sure there are people here who know more details than myself. Should be one of the most welcome openings this spring and I suspect it will popular from day one.

When I ran by yesterday, it was still surrounded by chain link fence and there was no signage (the original Laurelhurst Market sign was gone, too). They seem to have put in some landscaping, though.

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

Got a lift in this morning and drove past. There is plastic all about the place, but the lights are on and plenty is going on inside, that's for sure. It won't be long now. They've really been hustling on the place. Probably needs a few tweaks and some signage and life will be good! I better come up with some disposable income or budget it in so I can try it out. I can only pray the restaurant won't be communal like Simpatica.

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

I'm giddy about having a great butcher so close to home. Right now, the pickins' are slim.

#11 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Ain't it great?!

Best regards,

Amanda

#12 Nettie

Nettie
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

I'm actually much more thrilled about the butcher shop aspect than the restaurant. Since it's about a block from my CSA pickup, I can now get all my meats and vegetables in one trip. I was a little worried when I heard about the restaurant aspect--I thought it might have evolved away from the butcher shop, and I just don't think I'll go to the restaurant as frequently. I'm glad to see the web page explain how it's going to work.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

From the horse's keyboard:

Just a few words of heads up before I get into this week's menus at the Dining Hall. At this point (barring catastrophe - in the form of permits and inspections) we plan on the following opening dates:

Butcher Shop: Monday, May 18th - 10am
Restaurant: Friday, May 22nd - 5pm

If you come by Monday morning for some fresh meats or some deli sandwiches, and you find a locked door - sorry - I'll be in there and hopefully I'll be able to give you an updated opening date. And if the restaurant date changes, I'll let you know in next week's email.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

Think steakhouse, then break out of the box. Steak Frites, with housemade French fries.

Oh golly. My broken box.
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#15 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

Think steakhouse, then break out of the box. Steak Frites, with housemade French fries.

Oh golly. My broken box.

Must walk away from the bait....... :w00t: :wub: :shifty:

#16 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

From Simpatica's Facebook Site:

Quick Note: The butcher shop side of Laurelhurst Market will be OPENING tomorrow morning at 10:00am! Come over, check out the new place & share in the excitement!

#17 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

I cannot even tell you how excited I am about this. The new location is 2 blocks from my house! A few months back when I first heard that Simpatica was taking over that space I nearly had a fainting spell. Someone had to wave venison pate under my nose to revive me.

Suffice to say I will be there today. I'm planning on heading over in about an hour: anyone else going to be there?

#18 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

Pics please! Can't make it today as I'm out with a cold, but really curious in seeing all that they offer.

#19 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

Just visited the Laurelhurst Market a little bit ago. Not too surprisingly, they'd been open barely more than an hour and were hopping with customers. They're clearly still working on stuff:

Posted Image
This guy was still painting the sign outside and there was a lot of activity on the restaurant side.

The space is really nice -- a hell of a lot nicer than the Laurelhurst Market that was there before -- kind of a typical, modern design with lots of open space, exposed beams and duct work, clean lines, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The sandwich menus will look familiar to anyone who'd been to Viande. I'm happy to see how reasonable the prices are. I got a half sandwich was enough for me for lunch -- that was $4.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The butcher case, too, looks much like it did at Viande. I got an assortment of sausages I'm excited to try out and somehow kept myself from buying out their stock of pates. There's an extensive list of things you can get "from the back" like demi glace, caul fat, chicken livers, etc. I suspect that in the future most of my orders will be from this stock of goodies.

Posted Image

and here's my sandwich -- ham, sausage, peppers, onions and "secret sauce." Sloppy, but delightful.

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Vrunka!

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's