Saint Cupcake

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:49 AM

Yes I think the prices are steep. My daughter and I went there on Saturday afternoon. We didn't spend much time there but it appeared that they were only selling the larger boxes of cupcakes. I didn't want to buy that many cupcakes at once and the cupcakes that they had out were looking a bit dried out and yucky.

Maybe the point is tired at this point, but I don't get it. How much harder would it have been to put in a large display case and truck cupcakes over from the NW bakery and then sell them like that? I'm kind of baffled by the whole concept here which, as MSG says, doesn't really fit the Belmont vibe. Maybe they are expecting that people will buy a cupcake and then walk down to Stumptown to eat it? Strange idea, I think.

It seems like a fundamentally bad idea when the employee has to explain the whole "concept" (a word I heard the employee use several times in a two-minute span on Sunday) to each customer.

#82 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

It seems like a fundamentally bad idea when the employee has to explain the whole "concept" (a word I heard the employee use several times in a two-minute span on Sunday) to each customer.

I had the same thought about the Stumptown Annex - as I heard the guy explain to 2 groups how they don't have creamer, or lattes, or anything except beans, but they are still going to be very successful. Not sure about this new cupcakery tho... I go to Saint Cupcake in NW but I always just mix and match a few dots and like looking at the case.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#83 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

I had the same thought about the Stumptown Annex - as I heard the guy explain to 2 groups how they don't have creamer, or lattes, or anything except beans, but they are still going to be very successful. Not sure about this new cupcakery tho... I go to Saint Cupcake in NW but I always just mix and match a few dots and like looking at the case.

I have friends driving down from Seattle next weekend to do Stumptown's cupping, so I don't think they're going to have problems for a while.

OTOH, the cupcake fad is just about dead.

#84 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

There was a cupcake fad? I know there may have been in places like NY, but I don't think it ever really hit here. We have one dedicated cupcake place and one other place (Bakery Bar) that has a larger-than-average assortment, along with a variety of other desserts. There are STILL more low-carb stores in town.

I think cupcakes make sense -- they're a single portion, relatively inexpensive treat -- and I don't see any reason for a place like Saint Cupcake without any real competition to worry anytime soon. Cupcakes were popular enough before they existed and before cupcakes hit the big time on Sex and the City and will continue to be so 10 years from now. Their new location just seems misconceived.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#85 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

I read this thread a few months ago and it prompted me to try St Cupcake just to know what you all were talking about.

I'll go ahead and admit that I am a convert and have been frequenting the NW location more often than I should (thank god I've been going to the gym!!). So, after admitting that I've been going probably once a week for the last 2 months or so (*cringe*), I can say that I don't think they have problems with consistency. I'm not a fan of coconut or carrot cake, so I can't speak to those, but as far as the red velvet, hot fudge on chocolate, and cream cheese or white buttercream on chocolate go - I think these are all quite good. The cake is pretty moist and the frosting is thick and tasty. For those who say that there is too much frosting, I say - better too much than not enough. You don't have to eat it all if you don't like it. I am fine with the amount of frosting they use. I personally do not care for the chocolate buttercream - it has a very 'whipped' appearance and texture, and it reminds me of a bad grocery store sheet cake frosting. The big top cupcake also has an odd frosting - something like cream cheese, but maybe a bit oilier. I kinda like it, but to be fair, it is different. I also appreciate that they bake throughout the day so things are constantly replenished.

So. All of this being said, I am EXTREMELY disappointed by the idea of the Belmont store. My husband and I were waiting to be called for breakfast at Utopia last weekend, and we saw the sandwich board annoucing that they were open (in the back of the antiques store). We wandered in and the guy explained to us about the whole "boxed cupcake" thing. I got him to admit that they were never going to offer singleton or mix-and-match cupcakes at that location, and the reason for this is that they are zoned for retail sales only in that building, not as a restaurant. So they have to offer pre-packaged items.

My response to this is: Open a store that is properly zoned! How much bank would they make on Belmont? With all the foot traffic and Stumptown right there?! I was totally fuming when we left (empty-handed) and saw a pair of old ladies talking about going in as we walked out. I told them "They are only selling boxes of cupcakes in there" and they promptly went "Hmmph!" and walked off! I know I'm not the only one who will walk in excited, expecting to be able to buy a single cupcake, and leave disappointed.

Yes, I know the option of buying 1 cupcake or 2 dots for $3 is on the menu, but it wasn't available at the time (their 'official' opening isn't until next week I believe), but come on - $2 is already a bit much, even if they are good, so $3 is quite ridiculous.

#86 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

ariel88-

I hate to say it, but I've had at least ten customers come in and offer the same complaints that you (more eloquently) do. St. Cupcake might be constrained by regulations, but if that is the case, I have no idea why they would choose that location for that concept. They have an elementary school around the corner, but how many kids are going to go in on a box of cupcakes they can't personally choose what they are getting? How many Stumptown customers are going to get a box of cupcakes to go with their coffees? As far as I can tell they will get the one dude every month who just bought a matress from Dixie.

MR

#87 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

Well I take it all back.

Waiting in line for breakfast at Utopia this morning, I saw the sidewalk sandwich board advertising Noun and St Cupcake, and I'm not sure why, but I wandered inside. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the sign:

Cupcakes!
Full size $2.25
Dots $1.25

The Belmont St. Cupcake is now selling singleton cupcakes, just like the NW location.

I asked the girl working there how it is that they are able to sell them this way, since previously I had been told that it was a zoning problem, and she said she wasn't sure but that she thought they were still zoned for retail only. And that maybe it would be good if I didn't say anything about that. :blink:

I'm not complaining - I mean, I thought the idea of 'preboxed cupcakes only' at that location was really really stupid. But I guess someone decided "Oh, screw it!"?

I checked the Saint Cupcake website and it looks like they switched formats (from preboxed to individual) about a month ago.

Anybody know more? I'm really curious. :D

#88 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

St. Cupcake to open a new location in the old Three Lions Bakery at SW 12th and Morrison: via Eater

I just walked past there the other day and wondered why no one had taken the space yet. It so nice and bright with big windows.

#89 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

grand opening tomorrow for that new downtown location.

#90 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

Yep. the old location on NW 17th and Flanders is all papered over now.

#91 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

The original spot is closing??
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#92 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Yep. Already gone. It took me by surprise too, but I haven't been by in a while. I walked by yesterday and the signage says they closed that location on Sat June 18 and are moving the kitchen to their new location on SW 12th and Morrison, which will open on Wed June 22. New location is called Saint Cupcake Galore.

#93 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:27 AM

Yep. Already gone. It took me by surprise too, but I haven't been by in a while. I walked by yesterday and the signage says they closed that location on Sat June 18 and are moving the kitchen to their new location on SW 12th and Morrison, which will open on Wed June 22. New location is called Saint Cupcake Galore.

Oops...Bad name demon strikes again!
signature

#94 Mist

Mist
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

The pricing on the cookies and other non-cupcake items is not very clear, and for the two cookies I bought seems a bit on the high side.

I haven't tried the cookies yet so I can't comment on how they taste. The new space and all the products look nice.

#95 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

I know. I couldn't *not* mention it. :rolleyes:

#96 Caviarczar

Caviarczar
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:22 AM

It's not like you have much room to call people out!...your parents were the creative force behind the names of your restaurants: Ken's (insert food genre here) ;) (just poking fun)

I admit, something like Saint Cupcake I (the first) and Saint Cupcake II (the second), to go with the Catholic theme would have been simple enough and an improvement from Galore and Deluxe. That's my weak attempt, at least.

#97 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Menu includes baked goods other than cupcakes. No prices, though: http://saintcupcake....dex.php/treats/

#98 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

The Serratto folks (Julie & Alex Bond) have bought St. Cupcake from Jami Curl (now of Quin Candy). They bought it all - the recipes, the storefronts on SE Belmont and SW Morrison, they have retained a lot of the staff - including the head baker, etc.

Food Dude has the press release here:

http://portlandfooda...open-locations/

Never give up! Never surrender!

#99 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

I wonder if they'll still sell Quin candies at the Belmont shop.

#100 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

The story behind the comeback: 

http://www.portlandm...ction-june-2014

"Stop into the Belmont location (recently reopened on May 29 at 3300 SE Belmont) for a taste all of Saint Cupcakes' classics, from toasted coconut cream and mini red velvet to the cookie-laden Big Top or the caramel buttercream-topped Salty Captain—and rest easy knowing they'll taste just like they did before the shutter. Continuity has been a priority for the Bonds, who are preserving both the recipes and the staff of the original Saint Cupcake, from bakers to storefront team members. The Southwest location (1138 SW Morrison St) is slated to re-open its doors in the next few weeks—stay tuned for those sweet, sweet updates."

Never give up! Never surrender!