• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

I think it's the ultimate comfort food.

BTW Nong's (and a whole slew of other PDX eateries) are featured in October's Travel and Leisure. See The media section

#22 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

I initially had a touch of the "whitey's palate of barbarism" when I first tried Nong's. I wanted to REALLY love it since it has such a following, and I do love the concept of a place focusing on a single dish and doing it very well. My first time through (back in May), I thought it was good, but maybe I had built it up a bit too much in my head? I felt like all the subtlety of the seasoning in the rice and chicken was lost on me, but I really liked the sauce, which I applied liberally. I've been at least 5 or 6 times since then and I like it more each time, now because I dig the contrast of the pungent sauce and the palate-soothing soup, and the chicken is always so moist and the rice is perfectly cooked (I do love me some rice). Long live Nong's!

I feel so much better now! I'm not the only one!!!!!!!! &now it's go piset, or go home! extra sauce allll the way! :)

#23 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

"[I]t's go piset, or go home!"

Dude, this may my favorite quote of the decade...

#24 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

"[I]t's go piset, or go home!"

Dude, this may my favorite quote of the decade...

hahah thx :D

#25 Kartoffel

Kartoffel
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

I saw a cart that said "Nong's Khao Man Gai" in the PSU cart pod along 4th today, at the far south end. Anyone know whether she's moving or opening a second location?

#26 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

I saw a cart that said "Nong's Khao Man Gai" in the PSU cart pod along 4th today, at the far south end. Anyone know whether she's moving or opening a second location?

2nd location: https://twitter.com/#!/Nongskhaomangai/status/138762076951805952

#27 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

She also has a couple new menu items at the PSU cart as well.

MENU for New Location on 411 SW College St.

1. Chicken and Rice (Khao Man Gai): Poached, organic chicken with rice simmer in poultry stock and Thai herbs, served with sauce of fermented soybeans, ginger, garlic, thai chilies, vinegar, house made syrup and soy sauce. Garnished with cucumbers and cilantro, and accompanied by a light soup
2. Chicken and Rice Big Size (PISET): with more chicken, more rice, more sauce, with chicken livers (optional)
3. Vegetarian Chicken and Rice (Khao Man Gai Jay): Steamed veggie with jasmine rice cook in vegetable stock, served with Khao Man Gai Sauce
4. Thai Basketball Mom's Wings (Peek Gai Nam Daeng): Organic chicken wings braised in house made tomato, sriracha, Chinese whisky, garlic and shallot sauce, served along side jasmine rice (mildly spicy)
5. Pork and Rice (Khao Kha Muu): Carlton Farm Pork leg braised in cola, cocoa powder, shiitake mushrooms Thai and Chinese herbs and spices. Serve on jasmine rice with pickled Thai chili sauce, pickled mustard greens and boiled egg
6. Chicken and Rice with house made Peanut Sauce: Steamed, organic chicken breast with jasmine rice, top with house made peanut sauce/ Vegetarian available

#28 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

5. Pork and Rice (Khao Kha Muu): Carlton Farm Pork leg braised in cola, cocoa powder, shiitake mushrooms Thai and Chinese herbs and spices. Serve on jasmine rice with pickled Thai chili sauce, pickled mustard greens and boiled egg

Oooh! I love this dish, first had it from the Somtum Gai Yang cart last year and it's since joined the Schnitzelwich as my downtown food cart lunch staples. Must try Nong's version next chance I get.

#29 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

Oooh! I love this dish, first had it from the Somtum Gai Yang cart last year and it's since joined the Schnitzelwich as my downtown food cart lunch staples. Must try Nong's version next chance I get.

Her's is slightly different. Very good. Comes with a sauce that is spicy, one that I haven't seen or had before. I think its rice wine vinegar, thai chilis, garlic & maybe something else. I like SGY's as well, os each dish has some similarities, but stands on their own.

#30 Matticus

Matticus
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

I work right next to these carts and am excited to get this so close. I love Kha Muu and this was awesome. I like Tom Yum's as well but I think this is better. The egg was cooked perfectly and the pork wasn't dry at all. The greens add a tartness and a bit of texture that is really satisfying. It is really a lot of food too. Even better then a lot of food is a stupid amount of food, as this is 6.50 it makes a Banh Mi backer an even 10!

Posted Image

I ate everything in a 8 minute time span which was probably a bad idea... but i love putting things in my face so that worked out well.

#31 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I was very excited for this, since Nong's is probably my favorite cart in town. I love every possible combo of khao man gai Nong offers (chicken skin and liver, yes please).

So, I walked over today with a largish group. Man, the cold weather sure chases the cart folks away! The pod was dead empty at noon.

I got the Peek Gai Nam Daeng, wings in tomato sauce. Here:

Posted Image

$6.50 for a pretty sizable box, no sides necessary. We wondered how the heck you'd eat something like this - whole chicken wings in tomato sauce, over rice - and the answer is, very messily. Digging in to fish out the wings would make this into a crawfish-boil type situation, and attempting to flake the meat off with the tiny plastic fork, tender as the meat is, is rather frustrating. This is probably an authentic presentation, but if I ever cooked it, I'd make a huge mental note not to serve it this way again.

The flavor is… ok. It breaks my heart to put it that way, but this is much closer to the standard-Portland-Thai-cart than the refreshing flavors of Pok Pok, Ping, and Nong's #1. The sauce is very sweet and tomatoey; you could mistake it for an Italian dish. Not much whisky coming through. There's also celery, a bit of cucumber, and steamed broccoli. Mild broccoli on tomato-heavy dishes never quite made sense to me, and it doesn't do so here either.

Overall, not a bad meal, but I can't see myself ever ordering it over the khao man gai. Others in my party felt the same about this. The khao kha muu was better, but still pretty average. Somtum Gai Yang's (the one by Mother's, not the one on 10th) makes a better one. The vegetarian (vegan?) khao man gai still had the same great sauce, but the tofu was a why-bother addition.

Again, I still have all the love in the world for the original cart, and Nong has always been the nicest person in the world. I think she can do better! Bolder flavors, a bit more research into the competition, and a more convenient chicken-wing dish, please!

#32 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Oh lord I am so happy about this:

http://www.portlandm...-february-2012/

Good news for the chicken and rice-deprived eastside population. For her third outpost, Nong Poonsukwattana is opening up her commissary kitchen on SE Ankeny to the public. Amongst the giant vats of stewing poultry, heaping sacks of perfectly fluffed rice, and Nong’s famous ginger/garlic spiked sauce, you can buy a bundle of Khao Man Gai to go, without EVER going downtown.

Take-out service starts next Monday, the 13th of February and will run every Monday-Friday, from 11-4pm, with plans to open on the weekend.

Nong’s Khao Man Gai
609 SE Ankeny St, Suite B
503-740-2907
Monday-Friday, 11-4pm

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#33 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Someone was kind enough to bring me a bundle from the commissary kitchen today. I'm told there are a couple of tables there if you'd like to sit and eat on the spot.

Unsurprisingly, same tasty khao man gai.

#34 Pambazo!

Pambazo!
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

I went to Nong's today. I agree with many of Nick's points in his original post. I however enjoy the mild flavors, I usually go for more intensely flavored food but this was really good. I ordered the Piset, the chicken was very moist, the rice was perfect, soft, slight chew to it and not clumping or stuck together. I got the optional chicken livers and ordered friend chicken skin. Favorite thing was dip the skin into the sauce... wow.

I really liked the food, and I think they make this dish to perfection but it isn't the kind of thing I crave often. That being said, great cart, friendly people working it and they take a lot of pride in what they do. I highly recommend this cart. Many of the carts I have tried have been very disappointing. This one was great.

As my friend and I were waiting for the food we were enticed to order a couple of Korean BBQ taco's from the cart next to Nong's. That was pretty disappointing. They are not even close to Koi Fussion's or other ones I have had in other cities.

#35 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

As my friend and I were waiting for the food we were enticed to order a couple of Korean BBQ taco's from the cart next to Nong's. That was pretty disappointing. They are not even close to Koi Fussion's or other ones I have had in other cities.

I never tried their tacos, and I haven't been there for over a year now, and I believe there have been some merging/s between a few of the Korean fusion carts in the 10th & Alder and Stark & 5th pods since then; but that cart next to Nong's (is it still called Korean Twist?) had a fantastic bulgogi burrito. Maybe they're just better at those than the tacos?

#36 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

I went to Nong's today. I agree with many of Nick's points in his original post. I however enjoy the mild flavors, I usually go for more intensely flavored food but this was really good. I ordered the Piset, the chicken was very moist, the rice was perfect, soft, slight chew to it and not clumping or stuck together. I got the optional chicken livers and ordered friend chicken skin. Favorite thing was dip the skin into the sauce... wow.

I really liked the food, and I think they make this dish to perfection but it isn't the kind of thing I crave often. That being said, great cart, friendly people working it and they take a lot of pride in what they do. I highly recommend this cart. Many of the carts I have tried have been very disappointing. This one was great.

Just to note. It's not the sauces I'd like to be more intense, but the chicken flavor. My favorite ones I had in Asia always smacked me in the face with chicken flavor.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#37 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just to note. It's not the sauces I'd like to be more intense, but the chicken flavor. My favorite ones I had in Asia always smacked me in the face with chicken flavor.

That's been my take-away from the few times I've been. The sauces are fine, it's just the rice and chicken are just to delicately flavored for my palate.

#38 Cheryl

Cheryl
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Has anyone else tried the bottled sauce? I opened my bottle tonight and it's FAR from the cart sauce. Ill be really bummed if they use the bottled version at the carts.

#39 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

http://www.portlandm...rant-march-2014

Nong is expanding her commissary kitchen on Ankeny into a full-fledged restaurant.

#40 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Last time I went to the commissary kitchen it was a hipster sausage fest, twenty guys with ironic facial hair waiting totally silently to order or eat. They looked miserable.