Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Where is it?

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

Lily Market on NE Halsey and about 107th. They're specifically Thai. There are three others that I know of as well, all smaller. One on Foster, one on 82nd, and one in Beaverton. However, Lily's produce can vary pretty wildly. But they have the largest selection of Thai fish sauces, curry pastes, noodles, coconut milk, etc. They also have a decent frozen section with things like pea eggplants and sar tor beans and their own sour sausage. I've been there a million times and specifically ask for odd items and the owner still looks at me suspiciously when I buy even basic Thai goods and tells me I can call if I need help and that the instructions are on the package. They also have a hot foods counter in back, btw.

Come summer they'll have good produce again and get some specifically Thai items in like pea eggplant and kaffir lime.

I'm surprised I haven't ever done a posting on this. However, I do have some photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:16 AM

Lily Market does indeed rule the roost. THANKS!

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

I heard Pacific Market is pretty good, too, but I don't know how Thai-centric it is. I don't go to Lily anymore because of what I heard about the way they treat some of their hired help (don't pay even minimum wage, don't let people take breaks, and not very nice to them).

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Interesting, Amanda, interesting.

Pacific seems more vietnamese to me, but that's just a guess. I need to go spend some time there soon.

So is Lily our only option?

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Lily, Marisa, Thai Cam, and Sala are the four specifically Thai markets that I know of. However, several of the more Vietnamese markets are very good, including Phu Hoa, Thanh Thao, and Fubonn. Uwajimaya, of course, has plenty of Thai stuff, including produce, most of the time. An Dong has enough stuff, too, and some of the better produce, fish, and meat. I still can't believe I've never covered these markes on extramsg. I'll have to do so come summer when I can compare produce better.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#7 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

What is the one on Belmont?

The guy at Lily was extraordinarily helpful and nice. But, yeah, you never know. There are a lot of places in this city that don't allow breaks. A lot.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:54 AM

You mean the Vietnamese market on Belmont? Phu Hoa. Although I haven't been in there since they added the Thai restaurant. That's where they used to have their produce.

I'm not going to make any decisions about a place based on third-hand rumors. Most of the workers at Lily seem to be family members.

#9 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

Labor laws do apply to family members, Zuke. And there are clear rules about breaks for hourly wage employees.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, I tried that one on my dad when he used to make me chop wood. The big problem here is proliferating rumors. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? At least have some real evidence before publicly attacking a place, not just what a friend of a friend allegedly said.

#11 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

I wasn't commenting on veracity because none of us know.

Household chores for kids are different than using kids in business enterprises which doesn't mean I didn't do a lot of underage farm work in the old man's vineyards.

#12 LoveToEat

LoveToEat
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Drinking, Movies

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

I went to Lily Market about 3 weeks ago. There produce was okay. It might just be the time of year. I bought galanga, lemon grass, ginger, chilis, curry leaves, kaffir lime leaves and fish sauce. The lemon grass was not good, but I wasn't sure I would find it at Fubonn. Fubonn had very good looking lemon grass by the way. The "Thai" eggplants (green and white) were available, but there were too many ingredients missing to make a green curry so I did not get them . (And I don't have my mortar and pestle here.) Actually, the eggplants I like are not that green.

Thanks for this suggestion.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:22 PM

You should be able to get lemongrass just about everywhere. Since Vietnamese use it as well and there are a decent number of Vietnamese, it's even in Safeways. But the best quality comes from where there is good turnover.

btw, if you want pretty good quality produce and meats, try An Dong, sort of a pan-asian/Chinese place on Powell. Also, if you haven't checked out the Food 4 Less on Powell, it's worth a look, too. A little more selection of ethnic goods than Winco, but generally the same type of place so you can get your toilet paper and cleaning products, too.

#14 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

Where on Powell is the F4L?
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#15 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:56 AM

It's on 82nd & Powell, isn't it?

Best regards,

Amanda

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Bump. Added some photos above because of dead links.