52 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:31 AM

Posted Image

Stopped by Cora y Huichol tonight. The lady cooking and I recognized each other right off. She was a server at Puerto Marquez. Not sure if that's why, but the food was all really good tonight. We ordered a lot: taco de buche, taco de carnitas, taco de pescado, al pastor huarache, carne asada mollete, and camarones ahogados. About $25.

The sun was going down and it was kind of chilly, so while I waited I got one of their champurrados. They don't use a mix, making it from scratch. It had a nice silky texture and light chocolate flavor. Very good.

Posted Image

The tacos were all nice. The tortillas were a good thickness, just sturdy enough to need only one to hold up to a large taco. The buche wasn't too crisped, but the carnitas were. The pescado was clean tasting, decently seasoned, though kind of weird texturally. It was in a somewhat ground/chopped and chunky. They gave a side of grilled onions that were very nice with everything.

All their salsas were delicious. Both their standard red and green, but also their neon-orange habanero and their avocado puree.

Posted Image

Good huarache, lightly fried, I think. The al pastor was very tasty. It was caramelized with chunks of pineapple. I need to try more of their tacos. I don't remember their stuff being this good on my previous visits.

Posted Image

Molletes are one of my favorite breakfast items in Mexico, a piece of baguette or french bread split open and topped with beans, meat, cheese, etc. This one was grilled crisp first and delicious. The carne asada was better than most, little bits of crusty steak. Definitely not Autentica quality, but worth getting.

Posted Image

The real winner, though, was the camarones ahogados. At $11.99 it was quite a deal. Probably larger than the plates that are more expensive at Puerto Marquez and Don Camaron. And just as good. The chile-cucumber-lime puree was bright and fresh tasting, the shrimp clean tasting. In addition to cucumber and onion, there were slices of avocado as well, plus tostadas.

They've also extended their hours to 11pm on weekends and opening at 7am every day.

Previous post here:

http://www.portlandf...mp;#entry106463

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

More here:

http://www.portlandf...?showtopic=9179

So when I saw that Cora y Huichol was still open, I stopped. And when deciding whether to restrain myself and just get something to cancel out the shitty taste in my mouth or to indulge, I chose to indulge. I ordered a taco de cabeza and a taco de deshebrada, plus tostadas de camaron.

Both the tacos were excellent, the deshebrada be shredded, slow cooked seasoned beef and the cabeza being slow cooked beef cheek. Most cabeza doesn't have that much flavor. It's mainly about the unctuous meat. But this did. Lovely flavors. And they have great salsas.

The tostadas were as good as Rico's were bad. No off-flavors whatsoever. Just a blend of chopped tomato, onion, cucumber, and fresh shrimp, almost more raw than cooked, plus slices of avocado. I got everything to go and the did a great job of packing it all separately so that I could build the tostadas at home and not get them soggy on the drive. It was sizeable, too, as you can see from the photos, all for only $3.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

After the victorious playoff game the other night, I decided to reward myself (it was my cheering and effective use of blow-up Blazer batons that turned the tide, afterall) with a latenight meal from Cora y Huichol.

Attached File  blazers.jpg   156.17K   4 downloads

Decided to go with the camarones sarandeados, whole shrimp marinated and grilled.

Posted Image

There were eight or ten medium-sized shrimp, butterflied, head-on, yellow from a mixture primarily of Huichol salsa and their house-made habanero salsa. Forgot to ask if they use soy sauce or not. They weren't as crisp or nicely cooked as the ones I had the other day from Don Camaron, nor were they as big. However, they were about to close and had been cleaning up, so perhaps the griddle was cooling. Flavor was quite good, though. The habanero gave it a pleasant floral aroma. All the shrimp tasted clean and fresh. They were served with a few nice tostadas, avocado, tomato, red onion, and cucumber. $12 for the dish, which seemed fair. I'd like to try it again during the day to see if they get the shells crustier so the meat peels more easily. This cart really is wonderful.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 koner

koner
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

arghhhhhh you make me so jealous I used to live 2 minutes from that truck :P :) :) :P :( I seriously miss SE portland, Im honestly thinking of moving back next year....either way that looks good.

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Got some natural light photos today. A couple of them are below.

http://www.extramsg....=view_album.php

Posted Image
Camarones Ahogados

Posted Image
Deshebrada Taco. Note the grilled onions they serve the tacos hechas a mano with.

Posted Image
Their homemade salsas.

Found out today the source of the name. I had deduced a bit of it, but now I know. It's basically run by two ladies, one from Jalisco, the state that Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta are in, and one from Nayarit, the state just to the north. One lady is from Jalisco and is Huichol. The other is from Nayarit and is Cora. The Huichol and Cora are indios tribes -- Native Americans. The Huichol are one of the more famous Native groups in Mexico, primarily because of their arts and crafts,

both the yarn "paintings"...
Posted Image

and the beaded animals...
Posted Image

...can be found being sold throughout Mexico, just like Oaxacan wood carvings.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Snarky

Snarky
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

Went to Cora y Huichol (SE 82nd and Holgate) today for my weekly taco fix.

4 tacos: 1 each of carne asada, carnitas, pollo, & al pastor. Al pastor was the best of the bunch. $1.25 each.

I got 'em to go and they came with 3 little cups of green salsa (tomatillo) some radish slices and lime wedges. I filled up some space in the styrofoam container with their great onion mixture: pickled, grilled and raw red onions, and jalapeņo, serrano and habanero chiles all sliced up together and seasoned with salt and pepper; cilantro thrown in there too.

Fresh made corn tortillas; a nice touch. Jarritos and soda to drink. Some seafood dishes available as well.

I believe they are open from 7am to 11pm 7 days a week. (Maybe it was 11am to 7 pm?)

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

No, they're open late. They sometimes close early, sometimes close later, but 10pm is pretty much guaranteed, definitely later on weekends. Try the seafood sometime. They excel there.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 Snarky

Snarky
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

No, they're open late. They sometimes close early, sometimes close later, but 10pm is pretty much guaranteed, definitely later on weekends. Try the seafood sometime. They excel there.

Ceviche is very good. Served with two crispy corn tortillas and avocado. They also asked if I wanted it cooked or "with lime." With lime = ceviche. Cooked (with heat) = not ceviche. I had mine "with lime."

Tried cabeza and lengua tacos and chorizo since they were out of pastor. Damn fine food here.

#9 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Cora y Huichol is a frequent weekend stop in our household. I usually stick with the meat based tacos and the torta (they have the best torta bread around!) but next time, I'm going for the seafood after looking at these photos!
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

FYI, they have two other locations:

1) in the original location for El Brasero @ 15803 SE Division. One of the two original owners works this one and the name is Cora y Huichol #2, I believe.

2) across from Lucky Strike @ 12411 SE Powell. This one is called Tacos Pihuamo and is owned by one of the ladies from Cora y Huichol. It's the name of the town she's from in Jalisco. The menu is slightly more limited but the food is as good as the other two.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

2) across from Lucky Strike @ 12411 SE Powell. This one is called Tacos Pihuamo and is owned by one of the ladies from Cora y Huichol. It's the name of the town she's from in Jalisco. The menu is slightly more limited but the food is as good as the other two.

Good to know. I've been curious about the place across the street from Lucky Strike but I'm usually in such a swwon over the LS food by the time I leave, whatever they've got cooking across the street.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

The Bora Bora truck on the corner is one of the best trucks in town, also, with one of the most regionally specific menus -- all Sinaloa street food specialties, many of which I haven't seen since I was in Mazatlan. Great pollos al carbon.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Stopped by the Tacos Pihuamo truck on 124th & Powell on the way home yesterday. The tacos and salsas were solid: lovely handmade tortillas. I got cabeza, carnitas, and carne asada. Not so good was the camarones dish, which was tasty, but the shrimp were really mushy, almost impossible to separate from their shells. I can't remember the name of the dish: it's the last one on their "expensive" menu board or card posted on the truck. I didn't see the Bora Bora truck: is it near this one or is it near the 158th & Division site Nick mentions?

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

Bora Bora is right at 122nd & Powell in the old spot for Dos Amigos in the empty gas station lot along with the Goodwill truck.

Camarones zarandeados. Mushy? Only two ways shrimp can be mushy, that I can think of: simmered for a long, long time or "under" cooked. The former seems very unlikely, the latter seems like a good thing to me. Ideally this dish is cooked over hot coals, however, giving a combo of tender inside and charred outside.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

Yes, Nick, that was the dish. Thanks for your explanation: I feel better about the shrimp, complete with their little heads and feet.

#16 jsyrah

jsyrah
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

I love this place - their Molletes are one of my favorite sandwhiches in the city, the salsa's are delicious, and love the fresh made tortillas for the tacos. Went there for lunch today, mmm carne asada molletes. I prefer the carnitas, but they were out.

#17 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

Well the wife is on some kind of damn near starvation diet, and I was starving, and the kids needed food so I was gonna run to La Catrina II.. as I live on the base of Powell Butte I headed up 162nd and turned on Division and remembered they just opened a taco truck on like 154th and Division and I almost drove on by, but turned back around and said what the hell.

Turns out its Cora y Huichol II. That was unexpected.

Covered seating area with some cool little chairs for kids, help yourself coolers of soda and a menu with some good seafood choices as well.

I grabbed the torta special, which was a torta and soda for $5.. I ordered carnitas for this, but I don't think it was.. it was pork.. but not crispy at all, and some kind of sauce to it.. not sure.. still good.. only ate part of it, was huge. Daughter ate the rest.

Grabbed a sope for $3.50 (the have a deal for 2 sopes and a soda for $6.50).. the buche was might good. Son ate this, he usually doesn't eat much but he ate the whole thing which is amazing for my 4yr old.

Also grabbed a hurache (which was larger than the one Nick has posted above). Got lengua and it was $4.50. With the avocado salsa they have it was damn good. Both the sope and hurache were made fresh.

Only thing I didn't like was the bread on the torta was too soft.. but that's a common complaint for most trucks.

This is gonna be my new go-to.. sorry Catrina.

#18 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

I wheeled in to Cora y Huichol yesterday afternoon on the way home after an errand that HAD TO BE DONE at Clackamas Town Ctr. Got a desebrabada taco (lovely tortilla) and ceviche tostada. Sat out at the tables to eat, on a cold day. Both items rocked, especially the ceviche: so wonderfully spicy and citrus-y, I drank the juices right off the plate. Nice break in an otherwise drab day!

#19 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Has anyone been by Cora y Huichol lately? We have been eating there about every few weeks on and off for several years and over the last month we have noticed a change in the food.

To give more background, about two months ago my husband read a sign on the cart saying it was for sale. After speaking with one of the owners (the lady who is often there) she said they planned to open a restaurant so were selling the truck. A great opportunity for them.

A few weeks later the for sale sign was gone and now people we do not recognize are working. We have not seen the owner since last speaking with her and the food is a bit different. Still good, but different. The menu is the same and the same name is on the cart, but the meat is a bit chewier, more oil, the asada is not as flavorful, the to go containers are different, and unless we ask, we receive one small salsa container for the whole order (quesadilla, burrito, and two tacos). None of this happened before. Everything just seems a bit different...that special something is missing.

I don't want to start a rumor, but I also want to know if anyone has heard any news. We would love to follow the owners to their new location - IF they have moved.

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:44 AM

I haven't in the last month. I'll check into it soon, though, and also check the cart out on Division. Thanks for the heads up.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's