Jade Teahouse & Patisserie

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Jade has a SE Asian bistro burger now. Against my better judgment, I had to try it.

The details: Freshly ground up with lemongrass, house baked bun, some type of housemade mayo, useless Tillamook cheddar. Served with steak cut fries w/truffle oil. $10

Exceeded expectations. Very little "SE Asian" flavor in the beef due to the lemongrass (I kind of despise gimmicks like that). House baked bun is great. Maybe a little soft. The real surprise were the fries. Steak cut usually translates into either limp or mushy potato innards or both. Not these. Really crispy, despite their size. Perfect vehicle for a sriracha/ketchup mix.

Anyway, I'm unlikely to spend my Jade visits on a burger, but I thought people should know it exists.

#22 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I think Jade has the some of the best salad rolls in town - no rice vermicelli, and they choose instead to stuff them chock full of veggies and herbs. They also use what I think is Thanh Son's lemongrass/chili tofu, which makes their veggies rolls equal if not better than the meat version.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#23 eyepatchy

eyepatchy
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Jade has a SE Asian bistro burger now. Against my better judgment, I had to try it.

The details: Freshly ground up with lemongrass, house baked bun, some type of housemade mayo, useless Tillamook cheddar. Served with steak cut fries w/truffle oil. $10

Exceeded expectations. Very little "SE Asian" flavor in the beef due to the lemongrass (I kind of despise gimmicks like that). House baked bun is great. Maybe a little soft. The real surprise were the fries. Steak cut usually translates into either limp or mushy potato innards or both. Not these. Really crispy, despite their size. Perfect vehicle for a sriracha/ketchup mix.

Anyway, I'm unlikely to spend my Jade visits on a burger, but I thought people should know it exists.

Agreed on the level of lemongrass. If it wasn't advertised, I wouldn't have known, Its my current favorite burger in sellwood. You can get the bun gluten free, and the fries are seasoned with truffle oil.

#24 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Its my current favorite burger in sellwood.

Is there a second place?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#25 eyepatchy

eyepatchy
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Its my current favorite burger in sellwood.

Is there a second place?

Killer burger. After Garden State moved, I was stuck going to New Seasons or Mikes for a "walking distance" burger. Glad to have more options.

Here are a couple of shots I took a few months ago of the Jade burger. Sorry for the cell phone quality.

Attached Files

#26 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

That bun looks really nice. I forgot Killer Burger opened down there.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#27 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've only been to Jade once, but I got a super-delicious lunch, which was on special, and I didn't write the name of it down. It was billed with the caption 'try what the kitchen eats', or something like that. I don't know why I haven't been back. It's just not convenient, I guess.

Posted Image

#28 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Jade has a pork and crab udon* soup on special right now that will appeal to fans of HaVL and the like. Hand-cut rice noodles, their superb pork meatballs, and a healthy portion of crab meat. Topped with chili oil and scallions (but the addition of extra chili oil is most welcome). $10.

*Is it still technically udon if the noodles aren't made from wheat flour?