Jade Teahouse & Patisserie

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jbergs

jbergs
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

I didn't see this place posted anywhere, so I hope I'm the first one.....

Went here for the first time today. It's on 13th Ave a few doors down from Mekong Grill. The owner was behind the counter, and her father was working as well. The Oregonian said that her mother moved here from Vietnam and was a baker. There are home made pastries, but there is also a nice menu. I had the soup. It was like pho, but maybe more Americanized, a little healthier in style. She asked me if I liked vegetables, I told her I did, and she added extra spinach and broccoli. The soup had broad rice noodles, chinese cabbage, chicken and shrimp. It was a good deep broth.

There was a lot to choose from on the menu. I didnt' get the fried squid appetiser or the grilled eggplant with basil special. There are a number of sandwiches including beef and carrot stew, bbq pork, salads, trufflle oil french fries, spring rolls. That's from my memory, there was more.

I like tea, but didn't try any today. I did have a cookie made from almond flour that was wheatless, and it was excellent.

It wasn't very busy, but I really liked it, and want it to do well. I need somewhere I can get interesting yet healthy food.....and if I want.....not so healthy :-)

#2 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the review. More info for those of you who enjoy knowing addresses:
7912 SE 13th Avenue, Portland, OR 97203 503.477.8985

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

I saw a piece about this place (Trib? WWeek?) awhile back and have wondered about it...may have to give it a whirl sometime soon. The lure of Garden State is strong when I am in Sellwood, though... ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Swung by Jade for dinner tonight and it's definitely worth checking out, especially after 3:30 when gardenstate closes. We got the sesame beef with sticky rice and a Vietnamese beef and carrot stew with baguette. Both were decent, if not great, and I will definitely go back to try more of their menu. Hopefully the sandwiches are portioned to reflect the price; my experience with the $2.50 Banh Mi elsewhere is that they are very small.

The sesame beef had a nice sesame flavor, a little sweet and more salty, but not too much so. The stew had a great rich broth; I'm pretty sure I detected cinnamon in there. The house made baguette reminded me of the standard supermarket variety, nothing special there.

The ambiance is wonderful and tonight, at least, the place was almost full. However, most people were getting pots of tea, only a few seemed to be having dinner. All in all, I would recommend Jade Teahouse, but only if you are already in the area.

#5 billb

billb
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

I had lunch at Jade Teahouse today and left quite happy. I've been passing this place up for months because I am always swayed by Kevin's silver beacon of goodness (aka Garden State.) He was closed today. Overall (obvious) impression is that Jade is a place that caters more to the people of the Sellwood / Moreland area than to a Vietnamese population, but it was a very enjoyable experience. The space is beautiful. Very modern, clean interior with some neat artwork. You order at the counter.

I went with a co-worker and we started off with the tofu salad rolls. What really made these stand out was the peanut sauce. Fresh, with just the right balance of peanut and spice. Veggies we are all super-fresh. Probably one of the more enjoyable salad roll experiences I've ever had.

I followed this up with the BBQ Pork with pickled daikon radish, cilantro, and carrots. This is a fairly large bahn mi, and the thinly sliced pork was tender, flavorful and fresh. The bread was great -- a bit chewy and not as crusty as some of the other bahn mi places that I have been to -- but overall very complimentary to what was inside. Personally, I would have liked the option of some spicy peppers (albeit I didn't request any) but the daikon / carrot / cilantro garnish did the trick. Everything was super fresh, and the overall quality and presentation was more akin to a Grand Central / Garden State, hence the $7 price tag

Co-worker friend had the Stir Fried Rice Noodles, and was very happy with her selection.

There were a lot of other interesting items on the menu, including salt & pepper squid, truffle oil fries, a number of noodle dishes and more. I think this would be a great supper destination sometime.

They feature a large selection of teas, bottled drinks including Mexican coke, and a few micro/import beers. Well worth a visit.

#6 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

Can't say enough good things about my visit to Jade Teahouse tonight with a friend visiting from out of town. The friend eats lightly and is most comfortable with a spa menu (no fried, no heavy sauces or fatty foods, no big portions of meat, lots of veggies, etc). I remembered reading the earlier reports on the board and thought it would be a good place to try as it's just a short drive from Hillsdale across the Sellwood Bridge.

The building remodel is fabulous - they spent a mint on quality finishes, hardwoods, and a lot of thoughtful design on making into a place that you walk into and instantly feel at home. They turned was a sad sack of a horribly remuddled Victorian storefront into a tasteful Craftesman-esque / green building. The owner told me when I admired the remodel that they were forced to do major seismic work, so they were able to install gorgeous four foot wide windows that wrap around the entire front and south side (in addition to clever use of skylights and arched space to provide a welcoming entry. In the summer, they will be able to open all the screened windows and create an screened porch effect for ventilation. The space is set up with an array of seating options - a bar with stools facing the street for people watching, a dozen tables for twos and fours, and in the back a cozy area with a large couch, coffee table, two sets of two easy chairs each grouped around a table to talk and eat at. They offer free wireless and has a welcoming, casual air that makes you want to spend an hour (or several) reading, playing games with a friend (pictionary is available), or chatting with your companions. At the side of the building, accessible from the sidewalk is a wood deck with a bunch of tables and water bowl for canine companions. I was assured that my dog Bristow is welcome on the patio (again, did they design this place to attract me??). You order at the cash register right in front of you as you enter, receive a number, pick up your water and utensils, and pick your seat of choice.

Anyway, the food was excellent. I had a correctly brewed Genmaicha pot of tea ($3.50), half baguette & salad ($7.50 - I went for the Vietnamese Meatball baguette) and one of the handmade BBQ pork har bao her mother makes daily ($3.00). The half baguette sandwich was at least six inches long with very flavorful meatballs, cilantro, pickled daikon and carrots as the garnish. The baguette was definitely of the chewy school, not crackly, and perfect for sandwiches as the crust didn't shatter into hard shards that cut the top of your mouth. The side salad filled a plate 8 inches square and piled several inches high with a vaguely Vietnamese dressing, slightly pickled red pepper, and a sprinkling of carrot. Seriously one of the best salads I've had in a casual restaurant in Portland and a bargain at $3 when ordered separately. The har bao was not the style you expect from Chinese dim sum, but was the same type of rice dough used for rice noodles stretch around aromatic and flavorful BBQ pork (not char sui, but a gentler spice mixture that allowed the porky flavor to come out) and steamed. It was approximately 4 inches across, stamped with a red design, and cut into fourths. The owner's mother makes each one daily as she explained to the curious couple ahead of me. My companion had the vegetable har bao with potato, broccoli and carrot (which she kindly traded a quarter for me so we could each try both) and the half grilled tofu salad. You know the pedestrian blocks of marinated tofu that you've eaten unwillingly at vegan restaurants - this resembles that only as Kenny and Zuke's hot dog resembles the average gas station hot dog. You could say they are the same dish, but really, they taste nothing alike. I actually lusted over them and kept hoping she would share MORE with me LOL, despite the insane amount of food I had in front of me. Her salad was the same size as mine with the grilled tofu on top (this is the $5 half salad!!) and was the size of your average entree salad. The full salad must be enough for 4 people.

A wonderful addition to Portland that I hope you all visit soon! Seriously, I think this place might be worthy of a monthly family-style ethnic dinner as there were a long list of specials that sounded fabulous including green papaya salad, fried catfish with coconut sauce over steamed spinach and rice, minced chicken salad with fried shallots, homemade flat noodle stirfry with broccoli, egg, carrot with choice of pork, chicken and beef, and a bunch more I can't remember. Below is the full regular menu courtesy of their website: http://www.jadeteahouse.com/

Sarah

Small Plates

Fresh Salad Rolls with Chicken and Shrimp or Lemongrass Tofu $5.00
Fried Coconut Shrimp Skewers $7.00
Fried Salt and Pepper Squid $8.00
Fried Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls with Lettuce Wrap (5 pcs) $7.00
Oregon Truffle Oil French Fries $3.50
Steamed Hum Bao Bbq Pork or Veggie $3

Soup and Salad

Udon Rice Noodle Soup with Chicken and Shrimp or Tilapia Fish $7.50
Wonton Soup with Spinach, Pork, and Shrimp $7.50
Sweet and Sour Soup with Chicken, Shrimp, Mushrooms and Pineapple served with rice $10.00
Grilled Tofu Salad with Spring Greens, Red Bell Peppers and Cucumbers served with our Homemade Sweet and Sour Sesame Dressing $7.00
Half Grilled Tofu Salad $5.00
Side Green Salad $3.00

Homemade Baguette Sandwiches

Drunken Chicken with pickled daikon radish carrots and cilantro $7.00
Turkey with cilantro pesto and cream cheese $7.00
Tofu with pickled daikon radish carrots and cilantro $6.50
BBQ Pork with pickled daikon radish, cilantro, and carrots $7.00
Vietnamese Meatball with pickled daikon radish, cilantro, and carrots $7.00
Half Sandwich and Side Salad $7.50
Soup and Salad Half Sandwich and a cup of Chicken Rice Soup $7.50

Entrees

Stir Fried Rice Noodles with Eggs, Broccoli, Carrots, Green Onions and Chicken or Tofu $8.00
Wide Wheat Noodles Stir-Fried in a Chili Sauce with Chicken and Shrimp served over Romaine Lettuce $9.00
Grilled Sesame Beef served with Sticky Rice $11.00
Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes and carrots served with fresh baguette $10.00
Spicy Vietnamese Beef and Carrot Stew served with fresh baguette $10.00
Grilled Eggplant with sweet and sour basil sauce topped with roasted bell pepper and your choice of chicken shrimp or tofu $10.00
Garlic Shrimp large prawns stir fried with onions, chilis and bell peppers served with steamed rice $12.00
Grilled Salmon topped with sweet and sour sauce, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions. Served with steamed rice $12.00

Desserts

Black Rice Pudding topped with Coconut Milk and Green Tea $5.00
Fried Sesame Balls with a caramel coconut dipping sauce $5.00
Sweet Rice and Mango $5.50

#7 ooray

ooray
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

Ate here yesterday and had lots of food with friends who live nearby. Chatted with the owners a bit, they used to own Beau Thai, retired for 5 years, and then their daughter wanted to open a tea house.

We had silver needles tea which was perfectly brewed. It's a subtle tea and can be ruined by too high of a brewing temp.

I had the green papaya salad which was spicy, tangy, and delicious...came with some great coconut sticky rice and shimp.

We started with some truffle fries and the salt and pepper calamari - calamari was kinda chewy, but otherwise these were good.

My friend had the grilled eggplant with chicken and fried shallots which was seriously wonderful - lots of exciting flavors and the eggplant had a wonderful, melting texture. His wife had the stir fried wide noodles (pretty much like pad kee mao), which was tasty as well. My partner had the chicken curry and didn't share :P but he said it was really good.

For dessert...sesame balls with caramel sauce. Yum.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

http://www.portlandm...-teahouse-0609/

But Jade’s greatest asset may be its pastry case, where rows of Lucy’s homemade sweets beckon from behind the glass. Try the bright-green Vietnamese wedding cake (a specialty she has been preparing for the Vietnamese community here since 1975), made with thin layers of crispy puff pastry, light buttercream frosting, and vanilla essence from pandanus leaves. A slice will have you skipping through the streets of Sellwood.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

But Jade’s greatest asset may be its pastry case, where rows of Lucy’s homemade sweets beckon from behind the glass. Try the bright-green Vietnamese wedding cake (a specialty she has been preparing for the Vietnamese community here since 1975), made with thin layers of crispy puff pastry, light buttercream frosting, and vanilla essence from pandanus leaves. A slice will have you skipping through the streets of Sellwood.

Interesting. Maybe I got a one-off, but I tried a piece of cake several weeks ago and would not order dessert again. It was a layer cake with a layer of flan in the middle and I found it disappointing and not worth the calories. The cake was dry and lacking flavor, and the flan had none of the wonderful texture and taste that the flan at our first ethnic monthly dinner had that changed my mind about flan forever. It could definitely be a personal taste issue, as my ideal of layer cake would be the pink cake at Baker & Spice in Hillsdale, a classic chocolate layer cake with raspberry flavored icing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jade Teahouse - went this Wednesday and had a great salt & pepper squid, turkey & pesto half baguette and salad. The turkey, pesto, and cream cheese is good, but the drunken chicken and Vietnamese meatball are better. But their desserts aren't my thing I guess.

Sarah

#10 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

I stopped in yesterday for lunch with friends--we had intended to hit up Garden State across the street, but they were closed for repairs, so we headed over to Jade Tea House, which I've tried before and liked a good deal. I had their grilled tofu salad (even the "half" size is ridiculously huge) and half of a meatball banh mi. Excellent all around--the salad is perfect for lunch, and the sandwiches, with their house made crunchy bread and tender meatballs, are a great match. But I've had all that before. What I have NOT had before is the green cake described above, and....OMG. Seriously, one of the better cakes I've had since...well, ever. Really, it was that good. Somehow each bite starts of great and then gets better. The puff pastry layer adds just the right bit of crunch to the cake. My friends and I were practically fighting over it by the end, even though we ordered it to just see what we thought. I'm perfectly serious when I say it's worth a trip just for this cake alone. I can't rave about it enough.

#11 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Food food.. banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

I stopped in yesterday for lunch with friends--we had intended to hit up Garden State across the street, but they were closed for repairs, so we headed over to Jade Tea House, which I've tried before and liked a good deal. I had their grilled tofu salad (even the "half" size is ridiculously huge) and half of a meatball banh mi. Excellent all around--the salad is perfect for lunch, and the sandwiches, with their house made crunchy bread and tender meatballs, are a great match. But I've had all that before. What I have NOT had before is the green cake described above, and....OMG. Seriously, one of the better cakes I've had since...well, ever. Really, it was that good. Somehow each bite starts of great and then gets better. The puff pastry layer adds just the right bit of crunch to the cake. My friends and I were practically fighting over it by the end, even though we ordered it to just see what we thought. I'm perfectly serious when I say it's worth a trip just for this cake alone. I can't rave about it enough.

The owners (the mother) is actually well known in the Viet community for this cake... years ago she would make them for weddings and I remember as a child thinking I would want this too for my wedding cake. Last time I went in to visit (my mom is good friends with her), I ordered a slice to take home for myself. My mom wanted to have some, so I had to order another slice to have for just myself. :(
I have to say that I really love the space and the food we had there as well. We had the som tam (papaya salad) with sticky rice. The sticky rice had a really great coconut flavor and aroma to it that went well with the spicy salad. The owners are very nice people too.

#12 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

This needs to get on my short term check it out list....

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

http://www.portlandm...ent?oid=2755658

Jade Teahouse and Patisserie offers what could be considered "Indochine" cuisine, operating beyond the realm of many of Portland's Southeast Asian joints. Neither divey nor high-priced trendy, it offers a menu of Vietnamese and Thai-tinged plates that are plentiful without feeling uninspired; options marked by a hint of fusion that don't feel unmoored from deeper traditions.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Has anyone been lately? Have been trying to get over here and have been failing miserably. What's good? Entice me to get off my ass and get down there!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#15 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Has anyone been lately? Have been trying to get over here and have been failing miserably. What's good? Entice me to get off my ass and get down there!

I really do love this place. It gets SLAMMED for lunch, but if you can get there by 11.30 you should be fine. Dinner, same story: get there early. I really like the rice vermicelli bowl on their standard menu, and then their specials are usually excellent. Good bet is just to ask the staff for the best bet on the list of specials, and go with it. They had a starter recently of tapioca dumplings filled with shrimp and pork that was one of the best things I've ever eaten, but I don't think it's on the menu anymore. Shame.

#16 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

I really do love this place. It gets SLAMMED for lunch, but if you can get there by 11.30 you should be fine. Dinner, same story: get there early.

Yes and yes. I like Jade quite a bit, but it's usually very difficult to get into unless you go early. Recommended: Any of their soup specials, the meatball bao, and the bo kho.

#17 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Yes and yes. I like Jade quite a bit, but it's usually very difficult to get into unless you go early. Recommended: Any of their soup specials, the meatball bao, and the bo kho.

Oh, God, how did I forget the meatball hum bao? So very, very good. If you go with someone else, get that to split along with some other stuff. (Though you may end up fighting each other with knives for the other half.)

#18 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

I've been. Think it's great. Have only been on weekends for lunch. Dunno what it's like for dinner?

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

Realized with the Eater 38 that while I had been to Jade, I'd only been for pastry take-out, not for a meal. Then the other day, my wife suggested it for lunch.

Posted Image

Menu ranged widely with mostly Vietnamese dishes. Very pleasant inside. Noticed they have some outside seating, too, once the weather gets better.

Posted Image

We started with a green papaya salad with shrimp. It's a very large portion. The dressing was a little on the sweet side, no heat at all, but it was otherwise well-balanced. The papaya could have been crisper, but I appreciated the use of the small long beans and smashed, fairly ripe, tomatoes. Shrimp were cooked nicely, too.

Posted Image

We also got a sandwich, the drunken chicken.

Posted Image

It came on a housemade baguette filled with the marinated chicken, cucumber, daikon, carrot, and cilantro. If they put mayo on it, it was very light. The flavors were nice, but nothing special. Same with the bread. I'd say you can do better at places like Best Baguette or Binh Minh for less than half the price. (They're $7 each with no side.) Still worthwhile if you're there and have a sandwich craving, though.

Posted Image

Also got pho. Came with a very simple, but fresh, salad plate: bean sprouts, long beans, basil, jalapenos, and lime. Also came with a side of hoisin and sriracha, plus some chile paste, for dipping.

Posted Image

Soup came really hot to the table -- as in so hot it was still steaming 5 or 10 minutes later. It came with brisket and round already in the bowl. As a result, the round was definitely overcooked. Noodles got overcooked, too. Flavor of the broth was a little on the sweet and bland side, I'd say. A good bowl, but definitely not in the running for best in town.

We got a hibiscus macaroon which was overly sweet, but very light and crisp. Also got a chocolate and pistachio covered coconut macaroon. They used sweetened coconut, so it was pretty chewy inside. Not my favorite type, but more than acceptable.

Personally, I'd rather go to a place like Ngoc Han because food quality trumps all for me, but I imagine we'll be back here so my wife enjoys the environs while she eats.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#20 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Try the meatball banh mi next time - I like it much more than the drunken chicken which I found somewhat boring. I must say that I really like the hum bao as well. By the way, I was in last week and the owner has just had a baby and is on maternity leave. It was the first time I had not seen the father, mother, or owner supervising which may explain why you were disappointed. I noticed the seasoning on the salt and pepper calamari was less balanced than usual.

I also tried the red velvet cupcake this time and found it very moist, intense cocoa flavor, and topped with a very tasty creamy frosting. Right now it's my second favorite cupcake in town behind the cupcakes at Sugar Cube.