• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

I hadn't thought of this for Portlandfood before but is anyone interested in a Seed Exchange? I don't have packets yet but I know I will have extra seeds of the things I buy. If I get a couple of yes's, I'll break this off to a new topic.

I think I could go for that, as we always have more seeds than we use. I am mostly interested in open pollinated, heirloom varieties. (After reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, I want to engender diversity in my life as much as possible :wacko: ).
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#22 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

I'd be up for a seed exchange - I have a bunch of herb seeds of all sorts (including culantro and some other funkier ones) that I won't be able to use up before they aren't good, and I usually have more than I can use of everything since the garden isn't that large.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#23 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

So John, what were the places you chose to order from, Uprising Seeds, Territorial Seeds, and Seed Savers Exchange? I saw Seed Savers today and noticed they weren't local. I think I'll try to go heirloom and local.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#24 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

So John, what were the places you chose to order from, Uprising Seeds, Territorial Seeds, and Seed Savers Exchange? I saw Seed Savers today and noticed they weren't local. I think I'll try to go heirloom and local.

Almost everything I got was from Uprising Seeds; they were the fastest to respond with a catalog, plus they were well represented at Alberta St. Co-op whose prices were actually slightly cheaper than the catalog (plus no shipping, of course). I have a couple from Territorial and only 1 from Seed Savers Exchange.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#25 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

I could be up for a seed exchange. For things like tomatoes, I only need 4 or 5 seeds of each variety.

tejon, have you had any luck growing culantro? I gave it a half-hearted attempt that didn't pan out.

From the Urban Farm Store I bought Cherokee Purple and Mortgage Lifter tomato packets. I also have dozens of partials and some full from last year that should still be plenty viable. I have way more charantais seeds than I could ever use. I kept forgetting that I'd already bought some.

#26 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

I and a friend who is a far better gardener have both tried to grow shiso (perilla) but it seems to fail miserably in this part of the city. If anyone has any luck growing it, let me know.

#27 Joy

Joy
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

John, I have a ton of seeds I'd love to give you. More than I will ever have room to plant.
I try and grow only heirloom varieties when I can, and have a few oddball tomatoes if you're interested.
Though, I hate to say you may be a little late getting them started.

We have a group of friends that usually does a big seed order in January from Fedco seeds.
Great catalog. Lots of organic and heirloom varieties. Unfortunately they're out of Maine, but same latitude.
They are adamantly against carrying GMO seeds and have exhaustive information on each variety.

#28 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

John, I have a ton of seeds I'd love to give you. More than I will ever have room to plant.
I try and grow only heirloom varieties when I can, and have a few oddball tomatoes if you're interested.
Though, I hate to say you may be a little late getting them started.

We have a group of friends that usually does a big seed order in January from Fedco seeds.
Great catalog. Lots of organic and heirloom varieties. Unfortunately they're out of Maine, but same latitude.
They are adamantly against carrying GMO seeds and have exhaustive information on each variety.

Thanks! That's very nice of you to offer, but I think you're right... may be too late to start from see now. Anyway, I probably have more starts than I have room to actually plant in my garden! :ninja:
--------------------

#29 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'll join the ranks of those interested in a seed exchange. I trust Territorial more than anyone else, since their trials grounds are in the Willamette valley. Lots of the heirloom varieties are made for different climates. Peoples' Coop on SE 21st just had a seed exchange a few days ago. I don't know if it's regular or not, but it's getting a little late for lots of summer plants.

As a side note, I grow lots of shiso in my garden (inner SE) every summer. It's a great fresh addition to lemonade.

#30 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:25 AM

As a side note, I grow lots of shiso in my garden (inner SE) every summer. It's a great fresh addition to lemonade.

Tell me about your growing conditions for shiso, please.

#31 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

I grow it like basil. My seed is from Botanical Interests, which I don't recommend in general, but the shiso seeds have been treating me well. I set the seeds about 1/8" deep in a tray of compost that I keep constantly moist. I keep the seedlings in a sunny windowsill until the sprouts show 3 or 4 true leaves, and then I transplant into a mostly sunny space into the garden. I find it doesn't need quite as much water as basil does.

#32 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

I grow it like basil. My seed is from Botanical Interests, which I don't recommend in general, but the shiso seeds have been treating me well. I set the seeds about 1/8" deep in a tray of compost that I keep constantly moist. I keep the seedlings in a sunny windowsill until the sprouts show 3 or 4 true leaves, and then I transplant into a mostly sunny space into the garden. I find it doesn't need quite as much water as basil does.

thx