• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

http://www.wweek.com...ial/3516/12254/ "But when the folks who brew our ale kick and scream over a proposed beer-tax increase, we must reluctantly put down our pitcher and name those brewers this week’s Rogue. "

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

That's rich. So Cannon's efforts are surely just a starting point for negotiations, but a PR blitz by the beer industry is despicable? Cannon's gotten a shitload of press about from this plus has actual political power, whereas the beer industry can only hope that if it screams loud enough, the people who Cannon has to listen to, will tell him to listen to the beer industry.

They act like it's only Widmer and Full Sail who are against this beer tax, not smaller craft brewers and the restaurants and bars who will have to deal with the price increases that result. $50 per barrel as a percentage is what, a 50% tax maybe on the price of a barrel? Can you imagine if gas taxes suddenly went from 20 cents a gallon to $2 per gallon?

And until brewers are ready to pay their share of the state’s tab, make ours a vodka and tonic.

Yes, because they're not paying their fair share until they pay an additional tax specific to their industry in addition to all the other taxes they pay like every other business in Oregon. Screw you, Willamette Week. We should have a newspaper tax, 50 cents for every paper printed to go to the Oregon's forests.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

Don't forget the part of the tax that isn't specific to their industry. Why should my beer go towards treating some tweaker?

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Don't forget the part of the tax that isn't specific to their industry. Why should my beer go towards treating some tweaker?

Do you have a problem with cigarette taxes funding things other than stop smoking programs too? Frankly getting a tweaker or two straightened out isn't a bad thing and the government hasn't figured out a reliable way of taxing meth.

#5 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

yeah, kind of.

I despise the whole idea of "sin taxes."