Al Forno Ferruzza on Alberta

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 sfl

sfl
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

They took over the Ethiopian place on the corner of 28th and Alberta. It looked like they opened last night. I've had their pizza from the cart and thought it was good. Wood oven pizza from what I remember.

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I've tried to go to the cart, but both times they were freakin' out of pizza.

#3 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

I don't think they have taken over the Ethiopian space, but rather the old Temple Tattoo location, right behind Tonalli's. It is not right on Alberta, but rather on NE 28th.

#4 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Quick report- just stopped by and had a pizette- plain (san marzano tomatoes and mozz.) w/ fresh arugula on the side. I really enjoyed it! This is my kind of pizza-pretty spare and simple. Crushed tomatoes full of flavor, (not too much) really good chz., nice flavor to the crust. My only complaint is the crust could've been a little more crisp- it was a little droopy but tasted great. I saw a big pie come out of the oven for slices and it had more char on top and looked a little more "done" so next time I'll ask for it that way. Super nice people- this was their 1st day and they are still gettin' it together, but I am glad to have this addition to the area. I have actually been thinking about going back all afternoon so that says something! Def. worth checking out. Oh and as far as the location- I believe it is where the Ethiopian place was. It is on the SW corner of 28th and Alberta.

#5 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Dear All,
Anyone has hours? Ed and I've been waiting for them to open since???? They used to be by PSU, but I couldn't get there before they close, now perhaps I have a chance.

Thx,
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#6 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Dear All,
Anyone has hours? Ed and I've been waiting for them to open since???? They used to be by PSU, but I couldn't get there before they close, now perhaps I have a chance.

Thx,
Ellen

I asked re: hours and they weren't sure yet- they said they wanted to be open until at least midnight and I know they're there early in the am baking bread etc. I think it's safe to say they'll be open A LOT.

#7 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thanks! If anyone has their phone number, at least I'll call first before heading over. Greatly appreciated! Anyone knows if they open on Sunday evenings?
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#8 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

I've been craving their pizza since I ate it yesterday so we may go back tonight. I will try to remember to get a phone #.

#9 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

I've been craving their pizza since I ate it yesterday so we may go back tonight. I will try to remember to get a phone #.

Thank you!!!!!
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#10 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Just got back from dinner. We had a clam pie (this was a special), cheese pie,and a calzone. I am LOVING this place. The clam pie had chopped clams, garlic, fresh oregano, a little parm on top. Excellent! I didn't taste the calzone b/c of pork products, but my husband said it was great. The ricotta in the calzone is made by the owner's sister. The dad works the counter and will make ravioli once they expand their menu. The owner is absolutely wonderful- friendly and down to earth and welcoming.
Their phone # is 503- AL FORNO. Unfort. the phone company screwed up and assigned them the wrong # so at this moment I'm not sure what's up. They assured me that the aforementioned # will be theirs- hopefully the phone company can fix it soon b/c that's the number on all of their signs! As far as Sunday- they will be open, but he said tomorrow they prob. won't open until 5 or so - I guess that normally they'll open earlier.
I guess you can tell how excited I am about Al Forno Ferruzza. I think they'll do great. Unlike Ken's or Apizza they have slices if you just want to grab and go. For sure the atmosphere is not anywhere near as nice as Ken's or Nostrana, but they literally just opened and I suspect they will change things as they settle in. It does have kind of a charming character- kinda dive/homegrown. They will have beer and wine but are waiting out the 90 days the OLCC say they must. Apparently they will have some special Sicilian wine grown on the slopes of Mt Etna whose vines need to be moved after every eruption. They'll also have some NY State wines from a vineyard where the owner worked ( I should have asked his name!) and OR wines. They'll also have baked pastas eventually. I will report on my future experiences as my waistline grows!

#11 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

Just got back from dinner. We had a clam pie (this was a special), cheese pie,and a calzone. I am LOVING this place. The clam pie had chopped clams, garlic, fresh oregano, a little parm on top. Excellent! I didn't taste the calzone b/c of pork products, but my husband said it was great. The ricotta in the calzone is made by the owner's sister. The dad works the counter and will make ravioli once they expand their menu. The owner is absolutely wonderful- friendly and down to earth and welcoming.
Their phone # is 503- AL FORNO. Unfort. the phone company screwed up and assigned them the wrong # so at this moment I'm not sure what's up. They assured me that the aforementioned # will be theirs- hopefully the phone company can fix it soon b/c that's the number on all of their signs! As far as Sunday- they will be open, but he said tomorrow they prob. won't open until 5 or so - I guess that normally they'll open earlier.
I guess you can tell how excited I am about Al Forno Ferruzza. I think they'll do great. Unlike Ken's or Apizza they have slices if you just want to grab and go. For sure the atmosphere is not anywhere near as nice as Ken's or Nostrana, but they literally just opened and I suspect they will change things as they settle in. It does have kind of a charming character- kinda dive/homegrown. They will have beer and wine but are waiting out the 90 days the OLCC say they must. Apparently they will have some special Sicilian wine grown on the slopes of Mt Etna whose vines need to be moved after every eruption. They'll also have some NY State wines from a vineyard where the owner worked ( I should have asked his name!) and OR wines. They'll also have baked pastas eventually. I will report on my future experiences as my waistline grows!

Thanks for the report, Averilpdx! You Rock! Ed and I will be there tomrrow evening. We don't get out of the shop until 6:00 pm anyways.

Thank you again,
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#12 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hi All,
Ed and I stopped in for a Calzone and a pizza. Both were awesome! The calzone was jam packed with Ricotta. This will be on our frequent rotation for pizzas. Thanks!

Cheers,
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#13 Toad

Toad
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi All,
Ed and I stopped in for a Calzone and a pizza. Both were awesome! The calzone was jam packed with Ricotta. This will be on our frequent rotation for pizzas. Thanks!

Cheers,
Ellen

I am so glad to hear he is doing well. I used to be addicted to his cart going everyday for a pizza. When his girlfriend makes cannoli they were to die for.

#14 gastronomydomine

gastronomydomine
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hi All,

Cheers,
Ellen

I am so glad to hear he is doing well. I used to be addicted to his cart going everyday for a pizza. When his girlfriend makes calzones they were to die for.

The pizza was great. The owners seem like genuinely nice people and willing to listen to suggestions. The only negative is that a couple of the slices collapsed when folded. Not as tasty as Apizza Scholls but it's already in the top tier of Portland pizza joints. They cure they're own olives as well. It seems like it's partly a coffee shop too.

#15 uzideth

uzideth
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Beer/Wine?

#16 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

They have applied for liquor license but apparently it takes 90 days.

#17 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Took my mom to lunch today to Al Forno Ferruzza. Right now this place is about the food. If you are looking for anything resembling atmosphere, this isn't it - they are doing what they can as they are able to do it. Honestly, they've got a long way to go, but they are so nice there. When I wheeled my mom in (it is wheelchair accessible, but I don't know about the bathrooms) one of the guys got up and said, "I'll go turn on the heat, sorry it's so chilly in here!" ;o)

Mom and I shared a small pizza with pepperoni, a calzone with sweet roasted peppers and herbed tomato sauce and a cannoli. I had an aranciata (orange-y spritzer type beverage). The total was about $20.

The pizza was good, though it is in a spare style. I like more cheese and topping but for what this was, it was very good. Nice and thin, a little bit of char (I generally like a bit more, but that is easily remedied), good tasting crust, excellent quality cheese and sauce - overall a very nice little pie ($7 for the small 12" plus a buck for the pepperoni).

The calzone was great. A nice amount of ricotta and mozz. inside a torpedo of crust and your choice of two additions for $7. The ricotta was really great - creamy and fresh...so good I asked where they get it. Turns out dad makes it himself...no wonder it is fantastic. They could sell it by the bucket. They said they use it in their cannoli, so I had to try one.

They don't make the shells, they only make the filling, but they do fill them to order so they are fresh and crisp and creamy. Nice bit of orange zest in the filling and a few chocolate chips at either end for decoration. The ricotta is so freaking good, the cannoli are worth $4 each. Not quite as flavorful as Di Prima Dolci, but a better deal for a decent size...even if they don't make the shells.

If I lived near there, I would absolutely go there often. Shlepping all the way there from where I live in the SW hills I don't know that I would go out of my way that often...then again, that ricotta is awesome.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#18 uzideth

uzideth
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

To say this place lacks ambiance is an understatement. It is a shit hole. And I'm pretty accepting of dingy places.

That said, the pizza is excellent. Among the best in town. Scholls is my gold standard, but these guys are just a small step down due to a little less flavor from the cheese. Crust is perfect, tomatoes are great, cheese is still very good. Oven is a-blazing.

Really good, and the prices cannot be beat ($2 for a slice of cheese!). I will see myself getting take-out often. Very often. The restaurant itself is a definite work in progress.

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

It's definitely dingy, but it is not dirty.

The pizza is good, but try the calzones and the cannoli...ya gotta try that ricotta!! ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 uzideth

uzideth
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

The calzone will be next on the list. I'm not a huge cannoli fan, but my GF is, so I'm sure we'll have one of them, too.

As for the space, it's definitely Alberta St. hippie dingy, rather than old timey pizza place dingy.

I'll admit to a prejudice against the former, while I would probably find the latter charming.