Greek Food

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Okay, out of nowhere my girls have requested Greek food when we stay in Portland this weekend. I've got absolutely no idea where to take them. We tend to be very Asian obsessive, so we've never tried any Greek food in Portland. Any suggestions? I tried searching the forum but there wasn't much there.
Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

Well, most people on this board would say Eleni's. There are two locations: One in Sellwood and one in NW. That would probably be your #1 spot for great Greek food in town.

http://www.elenisrestaurant.com/

My personal favorite is Alexis on NW 2nd and Burnside, though.

http://www.alexisfoods.com/old/

Whatever you do steer clear of the Greek Cuisina. It's the place with the purple octopus. It is to be avoided in every way, shape and form if you're smart and respect your stomach.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

Well, most people on this board would say Eleni's. There are two locations: One in Sellwood and one in NW. That would probably be your #1 spot for great Greek food in town.

http://www.elenisrestaurant.com/

My personal favorite is Alexis on NW 2nd and Burnside, though.

http://www.alexisfoods.com/old/

Whatever you do steer clear of the Greek Cuisina. It's the place with the purple octopus. It is to be avoided in every way, shape and form if you're smart and respect your stomach.

Best regards,

Amanda

I've only been to the Elenis in the Pearl (NW PDX) but I've heard others say that the one in Sellwood is better. FWIW
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

And stay clear from Shiraz on SW Scholls Ferry Road. I'd give Alexis a nod, as well.

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Eleni's is good but I think the apps are better than the mains. When you order, be careful or almost everything on the table will be covered in red sauce and feta.

I miss good inexpensive Greek like I had in Queens NY and in Chicago with staples like taramasalata and lots of grilled seafood and grilled steak choices.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

How about Foti's GREEK Deli ? 1740 E. Burnside

I know Foti's has some fans, but when I tried it out last year, it was pretty disappointing. Grungy atmosphere and not particularly clean. Food was just OK, and my wife had an upset stomach after eating (I was fine).

I would second (or third) the recommendation for Alexis, but haven't been to Eleni's, so can't comment on that.

#7 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Add me to the list of those who've had some digestive challenges at Foti's, not to mention that the food is not so good. If it has to be cheap, and Foti's does fit that bill, the Daphne's in Beaverton is okay; I've had lunch there after going to Powell's.

Eleni's in Sellwood is nice, good atmosphere. The suggestion about small plates is excellent, with a few of them and a salad you should be happy.

#8 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Fotis is great for stocking up on bulk feta for home use -- nothing outrageous for dining in though.

#9 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#10 Rollin

Rollin
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

Alexis, good food, and nice people.
A big plate of calamari with tzatziki and a big Greek salad.
One of the best roast chicken plates to. Enjoy

#11 marcass

marcass
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have never had good food at Alexis!! It's always greasy and bland. There really is no great greek food in portland. I like foti's but it may be more for memories than the food. But there hummus is yummy...more like lebanese garlic sauce...maybe that's why I like it. I have eaten there many times and never had tummy problems, but I have an Iron stomach :wacko:

#12 ProduceGuy

ProduceGuy
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

If you don't mind a trek into Vancouver, A Taste of Athens in the Hidden House does a fantastic job too. Great food and the owner plays accordian for people too.

#13 mat

mat
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Travel, Playing Guitar

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

I've found Alexis to be at least ok.

I've always wondered about the place further west on Burnside, at around 15th, Delphinia's, I think? Has anyone ever eaten there?

#14 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

You might be thinking Dimitri's and I think it's no longer there.

Best regards,

Amanda

#15 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

You might be thinking Dimitri's and I think it's no longer there.

Yep. It was a good place in its early years but I thought it went down hill towards the end.

#16 meggs

meggs
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

I've found that the best Greek happens once a year in Portland during Greek Fest and that is even a stretch.
When I first moved to Portland I went to Alexis' and agree with what has already been said...bland and greasy.
I am Greek and miss my grandmother's cooking.