Oregon Coast General Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Oh, hey, remind me to give you a liquor shopping list!  Stop for me before you cross the border?

#22 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Oh, hey, remind me to give you a liquor shopping list!  Stop for me before you cross the border?

You bet!  There's a BevMo in Emeryville, will that do?  We'll be in Berkeley & SF.  Email me a list and where to get stuff if it's at someplace specific. 

#23 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:00 AM

if your bill is over $100, it's usually cheaper to order from http://www.hitimewine.net/

#24 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

if your bill is over $100, it's usually cheaper to order from http://www.hitimewine.net/

Really?  Even with shipping?

#25 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Really?  Even with shipping?

If I read their chart correctly, It's $27 to ship a case by ground, which works for me if it's liquor.

#26 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Not much in food suggestions but Harris Beach State Park just north of Brookings is a nice beach stop, especially with kids. 

The coastal redwoods area south of Crescent City is outstanding and several groves are easily accessible; Lady Bird Johnson and Stout Groves especially.  If you have time for a short hike, Fern Canyon Trail is very nice.  

There are a couple of good lunch spots in Bandon - especially 2 Loons Cafe. 

#27 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Joburn - Thanks for the rec on Stout Grove.  Unspeakably gorgeous.  Like from another era like Jurassic Park or Land of the Lost. 

Stout Grove is in Crescent City.  We stayed 1 night there.  If you go, follow the "Stout Grove" brown directional signs.  Follow the long ass dirt road that will cover your car in dust.  The drive is magical, as is the grove itself at the end of the dirt road. 

Good Harvest Cafe in Crescent City does an excellent breakfast.  They open 7:30am. 575 U.S. 101, Crescent City, CA 95531

Traditional menu done very well.  Nicely done breakfast potatoes, omelets, fresh squeezed & pressed juices, etc. 

Lost Coast Brewing in Eureka is a good stop for a beer in a brewery setting.  Food is typical brewery food, stick to the basics.  They're known for their tangerine beer, if you like that sorta thing, which I don't.  My H had their 8-ball stout and I had an IPA.  Skip the fish tacos. Definitely not as advertised.  Beef stew made with the 8-ball stout was fine.  They have a kids menu, which is a plus.  Place was packed with World Cup watchers.

Tony's Crab Shack in Bandon is very much as advertised.  http://tonyscrabshack.com/  Shack, check. Fresh, check. Just caught fish, check.  Think Ecola Seafoods, with a few pastas thrown (piled high with seafood on top) in and not as many fried items.  Fish tacos were outstanding.  Very little indoor seating, so if the weather isn't warm, you may freeze your ass off.  Guy inside the tent that says "smokehouse" had just finished cooking & cleaning crabs for someone, wrapped them in bags & dropped them in the guy's cooler to take home.  Nice.

Looks like you can rent traps, then go down on the dock & catch crabs, then bring them back to be cooked/cleaned.  I'm not sure if this is all in one place, but they had plenty of traps, I saw people on the dock with the traps, and the guy getting his catch cooked & cleaned up. 

Crab cocktail & fish tacos. Cocktail sauce is standard, but the crab is super fresh.

IMG-20140618-01758.jpg

IMG-20140618-01763.jpg

IMG-20140618-01756.jpg

#28 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Seconding Tony's Crab Shack. So. Very. Good!

I haven't been to Bandon in a few years, but I think frequently of going back because of Tony's.  Otherwise, I don't remember much of anything down that way for good food. We asked for a recommendation for a special romantic dinner and were recommended the Red Lion Hotel restaurant somewhere north of town (yes, it was as you'd expect -- nothing to write home about).

#29 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Joburn - Thanks for the rec on Stout Grove.  Unspeakably gorgeous.  Like from another era like Jurassic Park or Land of the Lost. 

Stout Grove is in Crescent City.  We stayed 1 night there.  If you go, follow the "Stout Grove" brown directional signs.  Follow the long ass dirt road that will cover your car in dust.  The drive is magical, as is the grove itself at the end of the dirt road. 

You are welcome, it is a pretty special place all right.  If you camp at Jed Smith State Park in the summer they usually have a seasonal pontoon bridge across the river which enables you to walk to Stout Grove from your campsite.  

#30 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

I really love the Warrenton Deep Sea market. it's a Bornstein seafood outlet that does their own smoking on site and their crab boats tie up right there at the dock. Can't get fresher. You can also buy rockfish cheeks and frozen at sea albacore loins. Great prices, great people, good product.