• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Every year my in-laws come out and we rent a vacation home in Manzanita. This year we're considering a different location, possibly Newport.

Your general views and thoughts on this choice, on the possibility of another location and any suggestions thereof are welcomed.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Newport is cool. They have a great aquarium down there. Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach has pretty good food. I think others have said Local Ocean is good, but I've never been. It's cool to buy fresh seafood right off the boats at the dock, too. Last time we went we got a tuna and had them chunk it up for us. Oregon Oyster Farms is a little ways SE out of town on Yaquina Bay Rd. and they have good deals on VERY fresh oysters. Worth going out of your way for if you're into that type of food. Bring a cooler and ice if you are and you're bound to have a good shucking time!

http://realtravel.co...wl_at_nye_beach
http://www.localocean.net/
http://www.oregonoyster.com/

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

Thx Amanda. The sister-in-law found a house in Rockaway Beach, but I'd rather venture further on south.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#4 pdxscoob

pdxscoob
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Check out www.vrbo.com It is vacation rental by owner. You should be able to find some houses that would suit your needs in Newport.

#5 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

If it has to be in Oregon, try Yachats, very pretty there and not nearly as busy as Newport. I'm annoyingly partial to the Long Beach peninsula myself.

#6 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

Rubber Chicken,

I've never spent any time in Rockaway, but I have friends at work who go there pretty regularly. I'll inquire to see if they have sound recommendations.

Best regards,

Amanda

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

If you end up in Rockaway, you are between the best low-end and high-end places in the area: Nehalem River Inn (at the high end) and Pacific Oyster in Bay City (at the low end). There's even Jetty Fishery for cooked crab. Rockaway has a little market with decent meat too...I think it is called Jimmy's? We got steaks there once to cook back in Manzanita and they were just fine.

We love Manzanita and always stay there, but there are more good places to eat in Newport, to be sure. (Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach, Canyon Way and Local Ocean at the bayfront just to name a few). Just don't always feel like driving down that far.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

I didn't realize that Rockaway is so close to Nehalem. I talked to one of my friends who goes to Rockaway and she said Mazatlan is OK if you're in the mood for Mexican food. It's probably the same as the other Mazatlans around so I'm not sure if that's good or bad since I've never tried them, myself. For Rockaway it might be good, though. She said Sea Shack in Nehalem is pretty good.

Definitely, Nehalem River Inn is outstanding for dinner. The only problem with them is they don't allow children...or at least they didn't the times I've been there. I know you have one munchkin for sure and you had another one on the way for a while there so now, hopefully, two???

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

If you end up in Rockaway, you are between the best low-end and high-end places in the area: Nehalem River Inn (at the high end) and Pacific Oyster in Bay City (at the low end). There's even Jetty Fishery for cooked crab. Rockaway has a little market with decent meat too...I think it is called Jimmy's? We got steaks there once to cook back in Manzanita and they were just fine.

We love Manzanita and always stay there, but there are more good places to eat in Newport, to be sure. (Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach, Canyon Way and Local Ocean at the bayfront just to name a few). Just don't always feel like driving down that far.

I believe you are thinking of Larry's in Rockaway with the good steaks. I agree! I still have to get to Pacific Oyster - maybe next week while we are there.

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

I believe you are thinking of Larry's in Rockaway with the good steaks. I agree! I still have to get to Pacific Oyster - maybe next week while we are there.

Could be...guy's name ending in "y" at the south end of town... ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

We went to Newport recently. Here's the report:

Chowder Bowl - good chowder. Weird clam "fritters" that were omelets with clams in them - very bland and not what I expected. Mr P&J had a mahi sandwich he liked and we finished by sharing bread pudding *swimming* in a whiskey butter sauce. Yeah. $40 plus tip.

Strange thing indeed, but the bayfront is closed. Most of it, anyway. They've ripped up the whole street almost down to Ripley's and it's closed until 5pm every day from now through June. We met my sister at the Noodle Cafe on the bayfront. We shared an asparagus and scallop dish, red Thai with shrimp, calamari and scallops and a spicy stew with a bunch of stuff (sorry, my mind can't describe it better right now). Each dish tasted distinct and delicious. They were about $13 each. Very nice staff. Good call, sister. She also likes the Thai restaurant two doors before the Noodle Cafe.

Cafe Stephanie on Coast for breakfast. Free scones, good coffee. I had good potatoes with cheese on top along side of the most difficult scrambled eggs I've ever attempted to eat. Each curd was separate, almost floating. I couldn't stab them with my fork so I scooped them with a spoon. Excellent crustless quiche. $25 including tip.

Local Ocean Seafood for lunch. I liked the frizzled onions the most. We shared a rockfish taco which was excellent. Mild tasting fish with cilantro, cabbage and a green sauce. I ordered the crab Po' Boy with a green chili sauce and fries. For $14 dollars I expected a more substantial sandwich. The fries were fine. Mr P&J had a bacon-wrapped piece of rare grilled tuna, those great frizzled onions and some fresh seasonal vegetables. He won the lunch lottery that day.

We were tired of eating out at that point so we had Abby's Pizza delivered. It's the only restaurant that delivers I was told. Oregon really hasn't gotten on the profitable (?) world of food delivery. I miss that about Manhattan.

Anyway, Abby's sent over a huge pizza with lots of meat and cheese on it. I asked for a salad and a small Buffalo wings with the order. Everything was less than $30 and they included seven (!) containers of chunky blue cheese dressing, two containers of pepper flakes, two Parmesan cheeses etc. Iceberg salad. Probably the best delivered pizza I've had recently, but we can't remember the last time we had pizza delivered so don't ask me.

Our last breakfast in Newport was at Georgie's in Nye Beach. Great view of the ocean and a surprisingly good breakfast. I ordered the sourdough bowl with scrambled eggs and a mess of shellfish: crab, shrimp and scallops with mushrooms, potatoes, peppers and tomato and a Hollandaise sauce. There was a very generous amount of seafood in there although after two bites of the bread bowl I realized I didn't want to eat it. Mr P&J had the chicken fried steak, eggs, potatoes and a biscuit. The steak was huge and had a very crispy fried exterior and good sausage gravy, the potatoes were nice and big, eggs were fine and the biscuit was a little heavy. Total, including coffee for both was $35 including tip. One of our better eating values in Newport.

One place my sister mentioned was Cafe Mundo. We didn't get a chance to eat there on this trip so we'll have an excuse to come back and try it.

#12 gummybob

gummybob
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

How much does it cost to rent a summer cottage near Nye beach? My parents used to take the whole family there every summer when we were children. Now that I have children I thought it would be nice to carry on the tradition. I've heard that they have really increased their prices over the last decade because it has become popular with out of state tourists. So I think it might be hard to even find a summer cottage to rent.
Over the years, I've begun growing and canning my own foods. This year I've been thinking about creating a survival seed bank so my family will be able to grow food if we are unable to get any from the grocery store. How much does it cost to gather enough kratom seeds for a seed bank?

#13 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

I'm looking to get ahead of things and book our 4th of July plans on the beach. I want to sit on the beach with my daughter and watch an awesome fireworks display, does anybody know the best beach for this? I definitely want to stay away from Seaside - I generally loathe that place, and north coast is preferable. Rockaway?

#14 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

How much does it cost to rent a summer cottage near Nye beach? My parents used to take the whole family there every summer when we were children. Now that I have children I thought it would be nice to carry on the tradition. I've heard that they have really increased their prices over the last decade because it has become popular with out of state tourists. So I think it might be hard to even find a summer cottage to rent.

We rented this house the summer before last: http://www.fairhaven...m/applegate.htm

It was $285/night, but looks like the rent has been raised. Great location.

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

Both Canon Beach & Manzanita put on a good fireworks show.

We do 4th of July every year in Manzanita. I love the 4th of July parade in Manzanita, all the kids love it as well. The town is packed and it's great fun. The night time fireworks show is great, although they're pretty lax about the show perimeter and they launch the damn things pretty much directly overhead. It's cool but weird to have ash and debris falling all around you.

#16 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Both Canon Beach & Manzanita put on a good fireworks show.

We do 4th of July every year in Manzanita. I love the 4th of July parade in Manzanita, all the kids love it as well. The town is packed and it's great fun. The night time fireworks show is great, although they're pretty lax about the show perimeter and they launch the damn things pretty much directly overhead. It's cool but weird to have ash and debris falling all around you.

Awesome, thx Jennifer! I wasn't sure about Manzanita fireworks - that's one of our favorite places to go normally, so I'll look into that. The fireworks display sounds great.

#17 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

La Maison in Newport serves fabulous breakfast/lunch. House-made English muffins and Eggs Pistou are a highlight. Highly recommended.

#18 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

Had a really nice NY strip steak this weekend at Bigfoots in Seaside. Typical family steakhouse - Steak, big salad, steamed veggies, loaves of bread on the table, baked potato. Their menu ranges from hamburgers through beef stroganoff, chicken, tri-tip, to steaks and our party of 10 had a good time. Prices were reasonable (mid $20s for steaks).

#19 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Reviving this thread.  We're driving to Berkeley/SF in June and heading back along the coast.  I've never been south of Newport on the coast.  Any rec's along the Southern Oregon stretch?  Or even Mendocino on up to Crescent City?  Not looking for high end, we'll have the kid with us.  Fish shacks / places or any seafood spots along the water would be great if they exist. 

Also if there are any must-see stops along the way, please share.  Thanks! 

#20 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Beer at all the following worthwhile, but food is strictly pub grub:

North Coast Brewing near Eureka

Anderson Valley is inland, but it's a beautiful drive and their brewery has a frisbee golf course

Mendocino Brewing