• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

One of the ways I'd like to repay people for their time and effort at making the site a resource PDXers can count on, is by having regular contests/nominations for best posts. Perhaps we'll have categories in the future or themes, but for now, I'd like to just start with the obvious:

What was the best post or series of reports/thread for 2008 and by whom?

eg, my favorite of 2007 was probably the chili reports by PDXChilihead. No one has so completely surveyed a subject on the site before, and at great peril to his GI tract. Hell, his SO deserves a purple heart as collateral damage. And the dog may have suffered many a beating taking the blame before people got wise, so it should be thrown a bone as well. ;-)

Really, search your memory, search the forums, find the best post or series of posts on any food subject in PortlandFood.org and post a link here and maybe say why you think it's so good.

Winner gets a $40 gift certificate to The Heathman.

We'll see how things go, but I'd like the deadline for nominations to probably be February 1st.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

The benefit at Scholls for Margo - not so much for the thread, but the spirit.

http://www.portlandf...sicilian sunday

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Twitch. Didn't say why it has to be the best; it's up to your opinion. It could be the best for a variety of reasons, so thank you for the nomination.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

I'd have nominated several of my own, but alas, you deleted them. ;)
signature

#5 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

I nominate Garagiste's $3000/plate dinner:

http://www.portlandf...?showtopic=7856

For its spunk, ingenuity, and the wee bit of gallows humor.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#6 PDXChilihead

PDXChilihead
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

my favorite of 2007 was probably the chili reports by PDXChilihead. No one has so completely surveyed a subject on the site before, and at great peril to his GI tract. Hell, his SO deserves a purple heart as collateral damage. And the dog may have suffered many a beating taking the blame before people got wise, so it should be thrown a bone as well. ;-)

Hey MSG, I finally found this post a couple of weeks ago. It’s interesting that your original post was on my birthday, no I’m not giving away the year! Although I do check the board from time to time, life in general has kept me busy lately and I’ve been a little behind these days! I am now a full-time student, so I’ve been spending a lot of time on homework and getting those A’s.

As for my search for that excellent bowl of chili, let’s just say I became a little disenchanted with the whole thing. Although I never expected a lot of responses, I didn’t feel that a lot of folks cared about chili as much as I did. That said, I can understand why, there is a lot of crap out there and just finding a good bowl has been an undertaking in itself. I suppose the main reason though is, like most folks, I hated throwing my money away. It always bothered me when restaurant people claim or say that it’s “Homemade” and I find out after the fact. Also, giving it a fancy sounding name doesn’t make a terrible bowl taste any better. So, I decided to give it a rest for a while and see how my stomach and I felt.

I suppose I should start posting again. I do have some leftovers from last year I forgot to post. Also, I’ve tried a few lately when I’ve had time, and I should report on them as well. Unfortunately, there’s nothing great to report. When people ask me what I’m going to school for, I joke and tell them I’m going to open a chili parlor. Maybe I should stop joking! I’ve always appreciated your kind words and encouragement; they’re what got me started on my quest. Although the deadline has passed, I will accept if won. Having finally made it to K&Z’s, I’d rather have a gift certificate to your place. I need more pastrami and potato salad!

#7 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

My all-time favorite thing EVER posted on this board occurred a few years ago and I can't find it with the new google search engine and I don't have the patience to try to figure out how to dredge it up.

It was an excellent and romantic post by Mostly Running. He was talking about waiting in line at Genie's and not minding at all because he was staring into the eyes of the woman he loved or some such sweet, wonderful prose along those lines. That's what I consider the best post of all so far. I'm a total sap about that post and it touched my heart and made me smile. If someone can find it and post it in this thread I'd be most grateful. It was uplifting and sentimental.

Best regards,

Amanda