Photo

CSA Guide

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

I thought I'd list the CSA's mentioned on this board and perhaps a link to where they were talked about. What info seems critical given there is a link to a web site.

If you want to post CSA's you have experience with, please post and I will edit them together. I'll also look at the discussions to see what other ones might be there.

Portland CSA's
Abundant Harvest
Delivers to: Hillsboro, SE Portland
Notable for:

Dancing Roots Farm
Delivers to: Parkrose and NE
Notable for:

Gaining Ground Farm
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Gathering Together Farm
Delivers to: West and East
Notable for:

Groundwork Organics
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Organics-To-You is not a CSA

Pioneer Organics
Delivers to: All over
Notable for: merged with spud. Is it still a CSA?

Pumpkin Ridge
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Sun Gold -- see Vicki's Harvest Box

Vicki's Harvest Box
Delivers to: Downtown and lots of others but mostly west
Notable for:

Viridian Farms
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Winter Green Farm
Delivers to:
Notable for:
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#2 sandiegowellness

sandiegowellness
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

I thought I'd list the CSA's mentioned on this board and perhaps a link to where they were talked about. What info seems critical given there is a link to a web site.

If you want to post CSA's you have experience with, please post and I will edit them together. I'll also look at the discussions to see what other ones might be there.

Portland CSA's
Abundant Harvest
Delivers to: Hillsboro, SE Portland
Notable for:

Dancing Roots Farm
Delivers to: Parkrose and NE
Notable for:

Gaining Ground Farm
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Gathering Together Farm
Delivers to: West and East
Notable for:

Groundwork Organics
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Organics-To-You is not a CSA

Pioneer Organics
Delivers to: All over
Notable for: merged with spud. Is it still a CSA?

Pumpkin Ridge
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Sun Gold -- see Vicki's Harvest Box

Vicki's Harvest Box
Delivers to: Downtown and lots of others but mostly west
Notable for:

Viridian Farms
Delivers to:
Notable for:

Winter Green Farm
Delivers to:
Notable for:

This is a great resource, thank you! Do you happen to know the best way of finding CSA's in other cities?
Tonic Food Club - San Diego Wellness | Medicinal Herbs

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Welcome to the forum, sandiegowellness!

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

A flyer for Cest Naturelle Farms was on my front door today. The farm is in Oregon City. They have Jersey cows and do raw milk shares and farm produce shares, with optional delivery to your front door. They also are willing to split the $15 delivery fee among neighbors if others that live around you are ordering also. They also have chickens, eggs and other things.

http://www.cestnatur....com/index.html

#5 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Has any one participated in the Singer Hill Gardens CSA? What's the verdict?

http://www.singerhillgardens.org/

#6 Ben Waterhouse

Ben Waterhouse
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Has any one participated in the Singer Hill Gardens CSA? What's the verdict?

http://www.singerhillgardens.org/

Not good. My wife and I tried them out this year instead of Sauvie Island Organics, thanks to slightly more convenient pickup sites. It was a terrible choice. What was advertised as a share for a family of four omnivores or two vegetarians was usually barely enough for two meals. Pickups were canceled twice and then, halfway through the season, they sent an email saying there would be no more. They said it was a bad growing year, which is true for some crops, sure, but not at all in evidence at the farmers markets or my garden. My impression is that these kids started a CSA without putting in the time to really learn organic farming, and blew it. Fortunately, we didn't subscribe to the egg-and-meat share. Those folks put down $800 and received, in total, about a dozen eggs, two chickens and a couple small salamis. I'll be going with Sauvie Island or 47th Avenue next year.

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Have you looked at their blog? They are claiming as of Aug 30 & 31 that:

Please remember to return your empty buckets from the week before! We have been short on buckets the past couple of weeks. This causes delays with deliveries. It is difficult to deliver your share if we do not have a bucket to deliver it in. Also, please be mindful of space at the pick-up sites. Try and neatly stack the buckets and fit as many lids into one bucket as possible. This will greatly increase the efficiency of deliveries! Thank you for your assistance with this.

A note to Harvest & Butcherís Shares: We are still waiting on the pig and cheese to be done curing and for the butcher to finish processing the animal. We were told it should be ready in the next week and then we will be delivering the extras. Also, we have Kombucha Starters available as a specialty item, with detailed instructions. Please email us at: info@singerhillgardens.org if you would like one because it takes 1-2 weeks to culture and grow them.

If you paid through paypal, you could still pursue a chargeback.

#8 Ben Waterhouse

Ben Waterhouse
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

If you paid through paypal, you could still pursue a chargeback.

I know a few other customers have filed small claims suits. I don't feel like it's worth the trouble, but then again I didn't have the expensive, undelivered butcher share.

#9 singingpig

singingpig
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

Singing Pig Farm is starting a pastured pork CSA for 2012. You can find the details on out Facebook page here:

My link

#10 singingpig

singingpig
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

The basics of the Singing Pig Farm pork CSA:

12lb box of mixed cuts, 3 month subscription for $180, payable in advance. You can add more pork if needed for your situation for $5/lb

You also have the option of a half or whole hog, $150 deposit/half, $300 deposit/whole, you choose the month you want delivery.

1st delivery will be the 1st week of March 2012

Dropoff sites will be in NW,SE and N Portland + Beaverton on the 1st week of each month

Additional dropoffs available in Salem, Corvallis/Philomath

more detail on our Facebook page, or you can PM me here

#11 stu

stu
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Deleted.

#12 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Going to take the CSA plunge again. I think I've narrowed it down to Groundwork Organics and Sauvie Island organics. Groundwork is cheaper, and has fruit, but Sauvie has a longer season and I've heard nothing but good about them. Both have pickups that are convenient, so that's not a dealbreaker.

Anyone care to offer thoughts on the matter?

#13 stu

stu
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Going to take the CSA plunge again. I think I've narrowed it down to Groundwork Organics and Sauvie Island organics. Groundwork is cheaper, and has fruit, but Sauvie has a longer season and I've heard nothing but good about them. Both have pickups that are convenient, so that's not a dealbreaker.

Anyone care to offer thoughts on the matter?

I had a Sauvie Island share one year and there was way too many sumer squash, parsnips and turnips for my taste.

#14 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I did Gathering Together Farms one year and it was fantastic! Great variety and it included their salad each week and braising greens in the Fall. They also threw extras in like a pumpkin pie and other treats.

#15 porky pine

porky pine
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've never done their CSA but Gathering Together Farm is my favorite for produce at the PSU Farmers Market. I buy two bunches of mustard greens from them every week in the summer. Their greens are so good.

#16 aplyley

aplyley
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I've had the Groundwork CSA the last two years and I think they're fantastic. I also work in a building that is a Sauvie Island Organics drop point and several of my co-workers get their shares. Sauvie Island's season is about a month longer than Groundwork, so that's a benefit. But my observation was that SIO gives you more quantity of each individual item, but there's less variety than Groundwork, at least in the fall season. SIO shares might be a little more quantity overall too, but I haven't done a direct comparison across the season. Personally, I like lots of variety. Groundwork shares are a great size for two, although we are big veggie eaters so we tend to supplement with a farmers market stop as well. Portions are nice--typically a good amount for 2-6 servings. Everything shows up pretty clean and dry--no grunge, pests, bruising, or rough handling. The gorgeous fruit is a nice bonus too (melons, berries, grapes). I appreciate that they offer vacation credits if you can't pick up a box (2 per season), redeemable at any of their farmers market booths. They also give 10% off to CSA members. I often shop with them at Montavilla, but I know they also go to PSU and several of the other PFM markets. Hope that helps! :)

#17 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

That helps a lot. Thank you!

#18 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Cully Neighborhood Farm. It's about as local as you can get - the farm is on Killingsworth!

The latest share:

Attached Files

• Attached File  csa.JPG   83.78K   2 downloads

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#19 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Look at all those vivid colors!

#20 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Look at all those vivid colors!

I know!!! Who says winter veggies are boring ;)
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax