Photo

Need a beer guy?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Beer, brewing, distilling, coffee roasting, cheesemaking, sausage making

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

After three start-ups in two years -- two of my own (Oaks Bottom and the Green Dragon) and one for a friend (Belgian Embassy) -- I decided to take a break from pub ownership for a while. But sitting behind a desk just doesn't cut it: I belong behind bars. So I am on the prowl, looking for a way to satisfy my need to share beer knowledge without opening my own place.

Bartender, server, beer buyer, marketer, events guy, you name it (coffee roaster, sausage maker, cheesemaker, brewer); if you're looking for someone with 21 years of experience and deep connections in the craft beer world, plus a history of delivering great customer service, I'd love to hear from you.

My e-mail is oldbaldfart@rocketmail.com and my cell number is 503-313-5700.

Thanks.

Objective:
To make sure every guest walks out the door feeling happier than when they walked in. To be part of an efficient, drama-free team. To look forward to the start of the next shift more than I look forward to the end of the shift I'm working.

Recent restuarant/pub/food service:

Consultant business start-up, events management, beer menus and beer training, beer tastings and dinners, marketing and public relations. Clients include Rogue Ales, Bull Run Public House, Green Dragon, Belgian Embassy (2006-present)

Muddy Rudder Public House Portland, Ore. Bartender/server (2008)
Duties included serving food and beer, consulting on rotating beer list, staff beer education, closing bar.
Reason for leaving: It was a part-time bridge job after selling my shares in Green Dragon before consulting job.

Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub Portland, Ore. Founding partner/publican/bartender/server (2007-2008)
Duties included securing site, writing business plan, helping to design and remodel space, hiring bar staff, staff beer training, handling rotating list of 19 taps, beer ordering, beer inventory, daily sales reports and banking, handling marketing and events, opening and closing bar.
Reason for leaving: Business was under capitalized so I sold my shares to ensure its survival.

Oaks Bottom Public House
Portland, Ore. Founding partner/publican/bartender/server/brewer (2006-2007)
Duties included helping remodel space, hiring staff, training staff, daily bookkeeping and banking, beer ordering and inventory, handling marketing and events, brewing specialty beers, opening and closing bar.
Reason for leaving: Oaks Bottom was primarily owned by New Old Lompoc chain. I left to start my own pub.

Horse Brass Pub Portland, Ore. Bartender/server (2005-2006)
Duties included serving beers, food and drinks, handling lottery, setting up a weekly beer event, opening and closing bar.
Reason for leaving: Opened Oaks Bottom.

Concordia Ale House Portland, Ore. Bartender/server (2005-2006)
Duties included helping design original bottled beer menu, assisting with rotating tap list of 22 beers, serving beer, cocktails and food.
Reason for leaving: Part-time position while I was still editor of The New Brewer and Zymurgy magazines. Left when a full-time bar manager was hired.

Editorial:
Examiner.com Denver, Colo. Portland Beer and Liquor Examiner (2008 to present)
Brewers Association Boulder, Colo. Editor in Chief, Zymurgy and The New Brewer magazines (2004-2006) Telecommute job.

Executive:
Oregon Brewers Guild Portland, Ore. Executive Director(1999-2005)
Brewers Association Boulder,Colo. American Home Brewers Association Director and Institute for Brewing Studies Administrator(1996-1998)

Hobbies:
Homebrewing, home coffee roasting, home cheesemaking, home sausagemaking (yeah, I like to make stuff), hiking, fly fishing, reading.

References:

Christian Ettinger owner Hopworks Urban Brewery 503-201-8957 (former co-worker)
Matt Hottenroth former owner Concordia Ale House 503-709-7203 (former boss)
Bill Gehrke Columbia Distributing 503-351-6125 (professional contact)
Jim Parker

#2 oldtavernmouse

oldtavernmouse
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

I've known Jim for years and was his hand-chosen successor at Muddy Rudder. He's a real personality, a hard worker, does things right, loves the business, and would be great any place he works. I'd sure hire him.

Randy Black

After three start-ups in two years -- two of my own (Oaks Bottom and the Green Dragon) and one for a friend (Belgian Embassy) -- I decided to take a break from pub ownership for a while. But sitting behind a desk just doesn't cut it: I belong behind bars. So I am on the prowl, looking for a way to satisfy my need to share beer knowledge without opening my own place.

Bartender, server, beer buyer, marketer, events guy, you name it (coffee roaster, sausage maker, cheesemaker, brewer); if you're looking for someone with 21 years of experience and deep connections in the craft beer world, plus a history of delivering great customer service, I'd love to hear from you.

My e-mail is oldbaldfart@rocketmail.com and my cell number is 503-313-5700.

Thanks.

Objective:
To make sure every guest walks out the door feeling happier than when they walked in. To be part of an efficient, drama-free team. To look forward to the start of the next shift more than I look forward to the end of the shift I'm working.

Recent restuarant/pub/food service:

Consultant business start-up, events management, beer menus and beer training, beer tastings and dinners, marketing and public relations. Clients include Rogue Ales, Bull Run Public House, Green Dragon, Belgian Embassy (2006-present)

Muddy Rudder Public House Portland, Ore. Bartender/server (2008)
Duties included serving food and beer, consulting on rotating beer list, staff beer education, closing bar.
Reason for leaving: It was a part-time bridge job after selling my shares in Green Dragon before consulting job.

Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub Portland, Ore. Founding partner/publican/bartender/server (2007-2008)
Duties included securing site, writing business plan, helping to design and remodel space, hiring bar staff, staff beer training, handling rotating list of 19 taps, beer ordering, beer inventory, daily sales reports and banking, handling marketing and events, opening and closing bar.
Reason for leaving: Business was under capitalized so I sold my shares to ensure its survival.

Oaks Bottom Public House
Portland, Ore. Founding partner/publican/bartender/server/brewer (2006-2007)
Duties included helping remodel space, hiring staff, training staff, daily bookkeeping and banking, beer ordering and inventory, handling marketing and events, brewing specialty beers, opening and closing bar.
Reason for leaving: Oaks Bottom was primarily owned by New Old Lompoc chain. I left to start my own pub.

Horse Brass Pub Portland, Ore. Bartender/server (2005-2006)
Duties included serving beers, food and drinks, handling lottery, setting up a weekly beer event, opening and closing bar.
Reason for leaving: Opened Oaks Bottom.

Concordia Ale House Portland, Ore. Bartender/server (2005-2006)
Duties included helping design original bottled beer menu, assisting with rotating tap list of 22 beers, serving beer, cocktails and food.
Reason for leaving: Part-time position while I was still editor of The New Brewer and Zymurgy magazines. Left when a full-time bar manager was hired.

Editiorial:
Examiner.com Denver, Colo. Portland Beer and Liquor Examiner (2008 to present)
Brewers Association Boulder, Colo. Editor in Chief, Zymurgy and The New Brewer magazines (2004-2006) Telecommute job.

Executive:
Oregon Brewers Guild Portland, Ore. Executive Director(1999-2005)
Brewers Association Boulder,Colo. American Home Brewers Association Director and Institute for Brewing Studies Administrator(1996-1998)

Hobbies:
Homebrewing, home coffee roasting, home cheesemaking, home sausagemaking (yeah, I like to make stuff), hiking, fly fishing, reading.

References:

Christian Ettinger owner Hopworks Urban Brewery 503-201-8957 (former co-worker)
Matt Hottenroth former owner Concordia Ale House 503-709-7203 (former boss)
Bill Gehrke Columbia Distributing 503-351-6125 (professional contact)

"My first wife drove me to drink. Always meant to thank her." -- pretty close to W.C. Fields

#3 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Beer, brewing, distilling, coffee roasting, cheesemaking, sausage making

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Garsh, Randy, I'd hire you, too...

I've known Jim for years and was his hand-chosen successor at Muddy Rudder. He's a real personality, a hard worker, does things right, loves the business, and would be great any place he works. I'd sure hire him.

Randy Black

Jim Parker

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Good luck to both of you!

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Well, the great news is, I have found a job. The somewhat bittersweet aspect to it is that the job is 264 miles from where it sit right now. So, come March 27, my lovely wife, Beth, and I are headed north for Bellingham, Wash., where I will be an assistant brewer and sales guy for Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen, a brewpub owned by Will and Mari Kemper, the folks who brought you Thomas Kemoper Brewing and some mighty fine root beer back it its early days.

It has been a swell 10 years back in my hometown (and lots of laughs getting to know many of the fine folks on this board and in -- and out of -- the industry here). I wish one and all great food, good drink and much success (and would someone please hurry up and hire Randy -- he's a helluva guy who makes customers glad they walked in the door).

I'm actually doing one last night of bartending -- a guest shot back at the Muddy Rudder on March 17 (appropriately one year after I started my brief stint there where I made many new friends and met the love of my life).

Who says stories in this business don't have happy new beginnings?

Onward and upward,

Jim Parker
Back in Boots!
Jim Parker

#6 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

Well, the great news is, I have found a job. The somewhat bittersweet aspect to it is that the job is 264 miles from where it sit right now. So, come March 27, my lovely wife, Beth, and I are headed north for Bellingham, Wash., where I will be an assistant brewer and sales guy for Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen, a brewpub owned by Will and Mari Kemper, the folks who brought you Thomas Kemoper Brewing and some mighty fine root beer back it its early days.

It has been a swell 10 years back in my hometown (and lots of laughs getting to know many of the fine folks on this board and in -- and out of -- the industry here). I wish one and all great food, good drink and much success (and would someone please hurry up and hire Randy -- he's a helluva guy who makes customers glad they walked in the door).

I'm actually doing one last night of bartending -- a guest shot back at the Muddy Rudder on March 17 (appropriately one year after I started my brief stint there where I made many new friends and met the love of my life).

Who says stories in this business don't have happy new beginnings?

Onward and upward,

Jim Parker
Back in Boots!

Congras my friend! Very happy and excited for you. Bummer we never actually get to meet. Come by if you can before heading up North. I'm at the Park store Mon and thurs. 6th Store Tues and Wed. Hope to buy you lunch.

Best wishes,
Ellen @ SuperDog
www.superdogpdx.com
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

Congratulations indeed, Jim. Come back and visit once in a while and keep us up on what's good to eat and drink up there.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

Great news! Congratulations, OBF!

Bellingham's not that far away. If John and I get up that way we'll pop in for pints and nibbles (pints for him, nibbles for me). Best of luck to you, and remember you're always welcome to post here so don't be a stranger.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Awesome. Great to hear.

Hope to see you soon Jim. Will you still be doing some of the bloggings?

#10 supersly

supersly
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Jim,

This is sad news for the Portland Beer scene; opens up a great big hole here that will be hard to replace. Loved your visionary passion for what beer can be and we hope nothing but success for you at Chuckanut. That does sound like a perfect fit for you, being the nut that you are.

Helen, Patrick & Tessa
Green Dragon F/C

#11 Dimsumdiva

Dimsumdiva
  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Congrats! We'll miss you here, but Bob & I make regular trips to Vancouver/Richmond B.c., so we'll have to stop by and see you sometime. What's the address?

Iona

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Good Luck, Jim. I will miss seeing you around. I'll look for you the next time we are up there.

#13 oldtavernmouse

oldtavernmouse
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Good Luck, Jim. I will miss seeing you around. I'll look for you the next time we are up there.

Hey Jim --

Congratulations. You give me hope, and I especially appreciate your support in my search.

I've been working on Rogue and will probably be working at least special events this summer. Biscuit told me they'd hire me at the Dragon when the patio opens, but no telling when that will be or if it's a sure thing. But that would be perfect for me. And I'm hoping to get back to the Rudder also when the weather gets better.

It's been 35 years but I flunked spectacularly from Western Washington in 1973. I'm sure it's changed a lot but I always liked that little town.

Give my love to the missus and have fun up there. I know you'll do a good job.

peace,

Randy
"My first wife drove me to drink. Always meant to thank her." -- pretty close to W.C. Fields