Photo (Optional)

Description

Servings

Prep Time
Cook Time
Total Time

Ingredients

Directions

For topic title, it should be the name of the recipe preceded by the category of recipe, which should be one of these for now:

Appetizers
Beverages
Breads & Pastries
Breakfast
Cakes
Candy
Casseroles
Condiments
Cookies
Desserts
Main Courses
Pastas
Preserves & Pickles
Pies & Tarts
Salads
Sandwiches
Sides
Snacks
Soups & Stews

That would make it easy for searching.

Here is an example:

TITLE: BREADS & PASTRIES: Quick Cinnamon Rolls
DESCRIPTION: Improved Cook's Illustrated Recipe

I love cinnamon rolls, but yeasted versions take four hours or more to make. I decided to try Cook's Illustrated's quick version, but I had a few issues with it. The butter never integrated properly into the dough, they didn't have enough cinnamon-sugar, and the individual rolls were a little small and didn't fit the pans I liked to use. So I started playing with the recipe until I was satisfied. Below are my results.

Makes 12 cinnamon rolls.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes

INGREDIENTS

Bowl of melted butter and pastry brush

Filling:
2 1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C white sugar
4 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground clove
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t salt
3 T melted butter

Dough:
5 C low-gluten flour
4 T white sugar
2 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
12 T cold butter, cubed (6 ozs)
2 1/2 C buttermilk

Icing:
6 T cream cheese
6 T buttermilk
2 C powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 12"x10" roasting pan with butter. (This is the size of a half hotel pan.)

2. For Filling: Mix all ingredients except butter together in a bowl. Add melted butter and thoroughly combine.

3. For Dough: Put flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in food processor and pulse three or four times for 2 seconds each to combine. Add cold butter to processor and pulse until thoroughly cut into flour mixture and no large chunks remain, approximately 8-10 2 second pulses. Empty processor into large metal bowl and add the buttermilk. Fold in the buttermilk with a wooden spoon until evenly distributed. Gently knead dough until smooth. The dough should be soft and stretchy, but not so wet that it sticks to the bench or your hands. Add flour a tablespoon at a time as necessary. Move to a floured work-surface.

4. Stretch or roll the dough into a 16x16 inch square. Brush melted butter on the square and spread the filling onto the dough, leaving 1/2 inch around the edges uncovered. Tightly roll the dough up. It is very important that it is done tightly. Use a little buttermilk to pinch and close the flap at the end of the dough.

5. Cut the ends off the roll to form a 16 inch log. Cut the log into 12 even pieces, measuring each at just under 1 1/2 inches each. Each individual roll should be shaped and tightend a little to be made round and keep them from being loose (the cinnamon-sugar will leak out if they're not tight). Place them against the sides of the pan and against each other. Pat them down slightly to make them even.

6. Brush with melted butter and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Remove and let sit until cool enough to touch.

7. For Icing: Place buttermilk and cream cheese in food processor and process for 60 seconds. Add powdered sugar and process for another 60 seconds or until smooth.

8. Separate the cinnamon rolls and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan. Pour the icing over each one and then pick each cinnamon roll up and turn it from side to side to evenly distribute the icing and let it run down their sides somewhat.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 Sarah-SE Burbs

Sarah-SE Burbs
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

I love the idea of the recipe section; thanks Nick!
I would like to see a catagory for preserving: jam, jelly, pickles, freezing, etc.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Maybe just "PICKLES & PRESERVES"

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 craig

craig
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Maybe just "PICKLES & PRESERVES"

Yes, that would be good -- do you want to edit it in or should I do that.

There is lots of that kind of discussion mid-summer to Fall.

Edit: I added the category
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

For items that have a broad category, such as "MAIN COURSES" or "APPETIZERS", people should feel free to add a secondary category, such as "CHICKEN" or "VEGETARIAN" or "DIM SUM" or whatever seems most appropriate and useful for searching and browsing.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's