Horse Brass and Smoking Ban

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

I've never been in the Horse Brass before last weekend but the place was just *crawling* with kids.

Does that seem right to you?

#102 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

I've never been in the Horse Brass before last weekend but the place was just *crawling* with kids.

No it doesn't - pretty different from the HB I've come to know and love. I guess if they're not crying, screaming and making a fuss, I wouldn't have a problem with it though.

However, isn't there some law restricting minors from being in establishments serving alcohol?

#103 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

This is why I don't go to HB anymore.
Not just the kids, but I've tried going 3 or 4 times, and only once at 3pm could I find a seat.
Yes, it used to be busy Fri./Sat. nights, but now it is packed all the time with usually large groups with kids eating. (So they are there a long time.)

More power to HB for bringing in the dough but as someone from the neighborhood - when I'm thinking about where to grab a pint (at any time) if I think HB, my second thought is - I probably won't be able to find a seat and then decide on someplace else.

Definitely changed the place and chased some out.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#104 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Kids? Are we talking children or a younger crowd?

I have been in 2 or 3 times in the last 2 months on the weekend around 7-8PM. Usually had to wait for a table, but no more than 10 minutes at most. I haven't noticed any children anywhere. The crowd did seem a little younger (I'd be surprised if that was because of the smoking change since the young 'uns seem to smoke more).

I did notice the No Minors (exc. I think for weekend breakfast) sign that's always been there. I made a point of looking for it, since I'd love to bring my 13 year old in for Fish and Chips some time if the rules had changed.

Having to wait a couple minutes for a table was a fair trade off for not having to go through the traditional post-HB scrub down.

#105 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

This is why I don't go to HB anymore.
Not just the kids, but I've tried going 3 or 4 times, and only once at 3pm could I find a seat.
Yes, it used to be busy Fri./Sat. nights, but now it is packed all the time with usually large groups with kids eating. (So they are there a long time.)

I've been going to the HB once a week or so weekday afternoons for a number of years and I've never seen it crowded those times. People there, sure, but 'can't find a seat crowded' never. Unless it was some special event, maybe. Are you talking about weekends?

On the subject of kids, anyone know if they have high-chairs there?

#106 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

I called and checked. Minors now allowed till 8PM, they need to be in the door by 7:15 so that they are out on time.

#107 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

Saturday night, it was around 7-8 pm. Lots of screaming little children in the 3-8 range. Of course everyone was loud so the screaming of kids didn't really stand out. The place was packed but without a wait.

I don't mind the presence of children, I'm just weirded out by so many parents bringing their little kids to a bar.

#108 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Saturday night, it was around 7-8 pm. Lots of screaming little children in the 3-8 range. Of course everyone was loud so the screaming of kids didn't really stand out. The place was packed but without a wait.

I don't mind the presence of children, I'm just weirded out by so many parents bringing their little kids to a bar.

You may just have had bad luck. I went in tonight (6-7PM) with my son. Place was 80% full and he was the first and only minor I have ever seen in there. Took a closer look at he demographic this time and I would say that, at least tonight, it was unchanged.

BTW, he loved the F & C, so he's one minor who will be back (but he's a quiet one)