Chicago/Milwaukee

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 madeira

madeira
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

Heading to the midwest for a family vacation and we like to eat out quite a bit. Any recommendations? Looking for somewhat fancy or fun places to eat (20-40$ entrees)

Thanks guys.

#2 Jason Wax

Jason Wax
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

Heading to the midwest for a family vacation and we like to eat out quite a bit. Any recommendations? Looking for somewhat fancy or fun places to eat (20-40$ entrees)

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure about Milwaukee, but you've got tons of options in Chicago. Paul Kahan's places are all great: Avec, Blackbird, and The Publican. Green Zebra (in Wicker Park) is great for interesting, elegant veggie food. NoMI is good option for a really nice lunch. You can also probably manage a meal at North Pond within that price range. Ditto for Graham Elliot.

#3 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Also worth checking out if you're in Wicker Park in Chicago is a bar called The Violet Hour. Sort of a goofy speakeasy front (no sign, just a bare lightbulb above a plywood door) but they serve some of the best cocktails I've ever had. Google/Yelp it.

Food: Lula Cafe in Logan Square (most Portland-y spot in Chicago- local, sustainable, seasonal, etc.), Hot Doug's (decidedly low-end, but amazing), Khan BBQ or Bhabi's Kitchen for Indian (sort of a trek from Downtown), TAC Quick, Spoon, or Sticky Rice for Thai, Lao Shanghai or Ed's Potsticker House for xao long bao. Maiz in Humboldt Park for crazy-good pan-Mexican food (the mole here is unreal). Crust in Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village for organic and usually delicious pizza and cocktails. Le Bouchon for sort of over-the-top but really good French bistro fare (I think Monday is half-price wine night; make reservations or go early, as this place is ALWAYS packed).

On the high end: I'd add Custom House (a personal favorite) to Jason Wax's list.

#4 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

I would browse lthforum.com

The restaurants on my radar for my next trip to Chicago: Blackbird (or Avec) and Thai Authentic Cuisine.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#5 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

"Thai Authentic Cuisine" = TAC Quick

You've got to ask for the "Thai Menu" otherwise you're looking at a boring night of pad thai. I'd suggest the fried chicken/1000 year egg dish- don't remember the name, but it is GOOOOOOD!

Also, there's great pho and bhan mi up on Argyle Street. Out of the few places I've tried, Tank Noodle and Pho 777 have been the best.

#6 adhoc

adhoc
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

Check out Alinea or Moto for cutting edge "molecular gastronomy" fare. For a wonderful late night hot dog and an unforgettable atmosphere hit up the Wiener Circle on Diversey in Lincoln Park.

#7 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Any recent recs in Chicago? Downtown/Loop preferable . . . 

#8 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Chicago places in addition to the above are Au Cheval, Small Cheval, Maudes, GT Fish & Oyster, Gilt Bar, Bar Siena, Bernie's Lunch & Supper, C Chicago...there is a lot going on there right now.  

#9 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

Chicago places in addition to the above are Au Cheval, Small Cheval, Maudes, GT Fish & Oyster, Gilt Bar, Bar Siena, Bernie's Lunch & Supper, C Chicago...there is a lot going on there right now.  

Great info - thanks 

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

Bookmark this in your phone or google maps.  It will serve you well: 

https://www.google.c...Fo.kEMMn_Envdow

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Bookmark this in your phone or google maps.  It will serve you well: 

https://www.google.c...Fo.kEMMn_Envdow

Outstanding - thanks, Nick