• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 spoonfulofsugar

spoonfulofsugar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi Toad,
Cupcakes will only be available for special order at the moment...all the more reason to get your buddies together, office crew or fake a birthday to order up some delicious treats. I'm at a much easier location for pick-up and yes there is parking! Please feel free to give me a call with any questions and I hope for my website to be back up soon.

Kir
(503)890-2825
The Sugar Cube (inside Two Tarts Bakery)
2309 NW Kearney

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

Bummer that they aren't available all the time for those that seem to want them. Sugar Cube's cupcakes seem to get much more love than St. Cupcake, Cupcake Jones, and others. Nice write-up about Sugar Cube in Sunset this month, by the way!

Best regards,

Amanda

#23 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

Bummer that they aren't available all the time for those that seem to want them. Sugar Cube's cupcakes seem to get much more love than St. Cupcake, Cupcake Jones, and others. Nice write-up about Sugar Cube in Sunset this month, by the way!

Best regards,

Amanda

can someone post the recipe for her cookies?

#24 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

Printed in Sunset Magazine:

Triple-threat Chocolate Cookies

Yield: Makes 16 sandwich cookies

Ingredients
Cookies
10 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
Ganache
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Preparation
1. Make cookies: Put chopped chocolates and butter in a medium metal bowl and set bowl over a pan of simmering water. Cook, stirring, until melted, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.

2. Whisk eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla into chocolate mixture. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into chocolate mixture until evenly mixed, then stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Wrap dough airtight and chill until firm enough to hold its shape, 50 to 60 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, make ganache: Put chopped chocolate and cream in a medium metal bowl and set bowl over a pan of simmering water. Cook, stirring, until melted, then let cool. Cover and chill, stirring occasionally, until firm enough to spread, about 1 3/4 hours and up to 2 days. If ganache becomes too firm to spread, transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for a few seconds to soften, then stir.

4. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop 2-tbsp. portions of dough onto sheets, spaced about 1 in. apart. Press dough to flatten into even 1/2-in.-thick rounds. Bake until cookies no longer look wet and you can feel a slight crust on top, about 10 minutes (don't overbake); switch position of baking sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on sheets on racks.

5. Generously spread flat sides of half of cookies with ganache and top with remaining cookies. (You may have a little leftover ganache.)

Make ahead: Chill filled cookies airtight up to 2 days, or freeze. Serve at room temperature.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich cookie.

Nutritional Information
Calories:433 (64% from fat)
Protein:5.9g
Fat:31g (sat 15)
Carbohydrate:44g
Fiber:2.3g
Sodium:60mg
Cholesterol:63mg

#25 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

thanks

#26 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

Re-re-opening:

Posted Image

http://pdx.eater.com...g-march-3rd.php

A little more than a month after announcing she'd be closing her Mississippi Marketplace cart, The Sugar Cube, Kir Jensen has announced that she'll be re-opening. In, count 'em, eight short days. Jensen first ran The Sugar Cube at the downtown pods, where office workers thronged to her liquor-soaked Amy Winehouse cupcake, but it's her other desserts--coffee panna cotta, a ganache-filled brownie topped with olive oil and fleur de sel--that make her really jazzed to, generally and when the weather is awesome, "bake in a freakin' cart."

Anyone know why she left Two Tarts? No one ever mentions that she was even there when talking about the re-opening of The Sugar Cube.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#27 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

http://wweek.com/editorial/3624/13938/

“Dessert Awesomeness” is the apt legend scrawled across the top of the menu of this North Mississippi cart, which is painted in three fat horizontal bands of brown, white and pale pink like a gigantic brick of Neapolitan ice cream.

But rest assured: The housemade, from-scratch desserts exiting the window of pastry chef Kir Jensen’s sweets shack far surpass anything being pushed by the neighborhood ice cream truck. No endless loop of “The Entertainer” being pumped out of a Dodge panel van here—only a solid lineup of thoughtfully concocted, top-notch creations served on charming vintage china plates and saucers, giving a noticeable boost in classiness to cart society.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#28 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

More love from WW, naming it the best cupcake in town:

“What the hell is that cupcake?!” I ask the tattooed baker. Kir Jensen—owner of the Sugar Cube and resident badass of the Mississippi food-cart pod—laughs and whips me up a “chocolate caramel potato chip” cupcake ($3.50); a process that involves dipping a dark, moist chocolate cupcake into a “sexy bittersweet chocolate ganache,” stuffing ample Ruffles on top, then dousing it all with a boatload of housemade caramel. In effect, you end up with a salted caramel chocolate cupcake with a welcome crunch.

When the first bite hit my taste buds, my mind broke out in song: “I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more!” Finally, a worth-traveling-across-town-for cupcake. “Is it vegan?” I ask Jensen after my tasting. “Fuck no, it’s not vegan! I am an all-butter, all-eggs, sugar, flour, yum-yum goodness, full-of-fat kind of bakery,” she retorted. Thought so.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#29 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

I have to agree from my experience with that cupcake at our cart pod crawl that the Sugar Cube's cupcake is the best in town (it's actually not even a contest really). The comments though on that thread were incredibly hilarious!

#30 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Best cupcake I have ever put in my mouth. EVER.

#31 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Been jonesin for some cupcake action, and thought I might as well catch the hype and get one of these potato chip cupcakes from the sugar cube. Off the hook!

Posted Image

If you're thinking about it, you have to get up there this weekend, or wait until like March. Kirsten says that she's closing up shop to complete a cookbook for Chronicle over the next three months, and this is the last weekend she'll be open.

#32 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

If you're thinking about it, you have to get up there this weekend, or wait until like March. Kirsten says that she's closing up shop to complete a cookbook for Chronicle over the next three months, and this is the last weekend she'll be open.

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to get over there but haven't had the chance. I'll make a point of it this weekend, thanks!

#33 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Posted Image

That thing is even more beautiful than I remember it.

#34 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

I eat some pretty funky stuff, but that cupcake looks disgusting. I'm sure it's good, but it looks disgusting.

#35 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

She's moving to SE 43rd and Belmont, otherwise known as the Good Food Here pod. Not quite open yet I don't think.

#36 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

Great to know! Thanks, Twohearted.

Best regards,

Amanda

#37 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

I contacted them when doing the chocolate article for WW and I think they're going to be closed for a while still while they work on their cookbook.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#38 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Reopens today. This from FoodCartsPortland.com

After a winter slumber, a cookbook and a move, The Sugar Cube re-opens today at their new location at Good Food Here on SE 43rd and Belmont. Kir Jensen has been hard at work all winter on her new cookbook, but knows Portland needs its Amy Winehouse Cupcakes. If you’ve never enjoyed the love Kir puts into her treats, you are truly missing out. The Sugar Cube’s hours will be Wednesday-Sunday, 12:30-8pm.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#39 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

The Sugar Cube is looking to open a brick-and-mortar location on NE Alberta, complete with a dessert CSA (brilliant!)! Kickstarter campaign going on for another week and a half:

http://www.kickstart...ugar-love-happy

#40 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Stopped by today to check out the new Sugar Cube on Alberta. Space is really nice and bright, albeit a bit small. Have always been a big fan of their milkshakes and with the unexpected return of heat today, thought I would pick one up. Unfortunately, no milkshakes until next summer! The pastries, cakes, and cookies all looked great though, but I was craving something more refreshing. Will return for breakfast pastry and coffee for sure. Closed Monday & Tuesday IIRC, FYI.

Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin