The Sugar Cube

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

After having been introduced to The Sugar Cube via a post on the Little Red Bike Cafe's blog, I found myself in the neighborhood on Monday when I decided that jury duty = a chance to eat soup dumplings at nearby Asian Station. I wandered past The Sugar Cube and could not help buying a cupcake for dessert. I settled on the Highway to Heaven - Dark and moist chocolate buttermilk cake, salted caramel center and creamy chocolate ganache.

The cupcake was unassuming, and decidedly soft to hold (which made me think it was probably quite moist, a very important quality in any cupcake). I waited until I had ordered a cup of coffee at the Ace Hotel Stumptown before digging into this little handful of joy, but I could not have predicted what I would find.

I pronounce this cupcake the best damn cupcake I have ever eaten, and hands down the best cupcake in Portland.

And believe me, I am a huge baked goods snob.

The cake was moist beyond belief with a rich chocolate flavor, the caramel in the middle was just runny enough and had a fabulous depth of flavor, and the ganache was just the right blend of chocolate and sweet.

Any lover of cupcakes should make haste to this cart. Kirsten Jensen is doing something amazing here.

The Sugar Cube
901 SW Alder St.
Business Hours:
M-F: 11-4
Closed on Weekends
Dozens available by special order
http://www.thesugarcubepdx.com/

#2 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Yes. Great cupcake. much easier to eat with a fork, tho. I had a great summer afternoon eating one of those cupcakes in front of Spella while drinking a Shakerato and enjoying the music of a Cellist.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#3 scarletb

scarletb
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

After having been introduced to The Sugar Cube via a post on the Little Red Bike Cafe's blog, I found myself in the neighborhood on Monday when I decided that jury duty = a chance to eat soup dumplings at nearby Asian Station. I wandered past The Sugar Cube and could not help buying a cupcake for dessert. I settled on the Highway to Heaven - Dark and moist chocolate buttermilk cake, salted caramel center and creamy chocolate ganache.

The cupcake was unassuming, and decidedly soft to hold (which made me think it was probably quite moist, a very important quality in any cupcake). I waited until I had ordered a cup of coffee at the Ace Hotel Stumptown before digging into this little handful of joy, but I could not have predicted what I would find.

I pronounce this cupcake the best damn cupcake I have ever eaten, and hands down the best cupcake in Portland.

And believe me, I am a huge baked goods snob.

The cake was moist beyond belief with a rich chocolate flavor, the caramel in the middle was just runny enough and had a fabulous depth of flavor, and the ganache was just the right blend of chocolate and sweet.

Any lover of cupcakes should make haste to this cart. Kirsten Jensen is doing something amazing here.

The Sugar Cube
901 SW Alder St.
Business Hours:
M-F: 11-4
Closed on Weekends
Dozens available by special order
http://www.thesugarcubepdx.com/

I have worked downtown for four years and had my last day of work last week. Before I left I had to hit all the carts I love, or the ones I never had a chance to try. I went to Sugar Cube three times! That cupcake is absolutely unbelievably good. I've also had soup there and a lemon cupcake. Really great food, consistently, and so friendly and sweet. It's probably a good thing I'm no longer working three blocks from there. Highly recommended!

BTW, my other cart stops were Asian Station for soup dumplings, of course, and finally trying Give Pizza a Chance, also very highly recommended. Those three are the highlights (and my obsession with Whole Bowl, but that's another story).

#4 Jason Wax

Jason Wax
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

Sugar Cube is definitely awesome. I've been eating Kir's cupcakes since the day she opened, and I've even had an all-cupcake lunch once or twice. :drool:

The only downside is that after eating 'cakes at The Cube, I can barely stomach Saint Cupcake and Cupcake Jones.

#5 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

That settles it, the next dry day we have I'm heading to Asian Station and then having dessert at The Sugar Cube. Thanks to all of you for the cupcake reviews, I can't wait!

#6 rottentreats

rottentreats
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Photography, video games, and that absolutely hot man, Anthony Bourdain. ;)

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:16 AM

Haha, Kristi, I was thinking the same thing!! :drool:

ETA: Thanks for reminding me to take my umbrella with me!

#7 stu

stu
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

The Sugar Cube is great! I went two days in a row and pretty much inhaled my cupcake each day, not even leaving time for my Spella coffee to cool down. Kirsten's cupcakes are more cake-like in texture than what I am used to in cupcakes; really tender and soft.

#8 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

We ordered a dozen cupcakes from The Sugar Cube for tomorrow for my co-worker's birthday. I'll report back!

#9 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

closed?

#10 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

closed?

Shes closed through either March or April.

#11 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

i think she's gone daddy gone.

#12 maija

maija
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

i think she's gone daddy gone.

Food carts Portland says she's on break till warmer days in April. Possibly taking special orders still via her website...
I hope she comes back, cause her cupcakes are da bomb!

http://foodcartsportland.com/?p=380

#13 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

http://www.pdxfoodpress.com/?p=4750

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

I assume this is that Sugar Cube is closed and they've moved on to working for Two Tarts.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

that is the suck. she had some of my favorite pastries, and definitely the best cupcakes in town.

#16 Toad

Toad
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Oh this sucks so bad! My family will miss me bringing home cupcakes on fridays now. We were just counting the days till she reopened and now this, big bummer. Was absolutely the best cupcakes in town.

#17 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Maybe she will sell her cupcakes at Two Tarts. They are obviously very popular and they could benefit from that business.

Best regards,

Amanda

#18 spoonfulofsugar

spoonfulofsugar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

:blush:
Hello my people! Please do not fret...The Sugar Cube is alive and well and snuggled into the wonderful and welcoming Two Tarts Bakery on NW 23rd and Kearney. I just sold the location, NOT the business.
Winter was tuff and a great opportunity fell into my lap and viola..magic..presto! I have this amazing kitchen to bake out of and I am working with some super talented people ( Elizabeth Beekley) the owner of this delicious little cookie bakery. If you have not sampled her goodies at the farmer's market, now you can at her shop.
I am changing up the menu slightly..don't freak. You can order up the ever popular cupcakes, or other dessert treats to your hearts delight. Just call the bakery or email me at kirsten@thesugarcubepdx.com. Find me and my Triple Threat cookie recipe in this month's issue of Sunset Magazine and yes they are now on the menu at Two Tarts.
Thank you for all of your well wishes and support. I hope to see you at the bakery!

Cupcakes+Love=Happy,
Kir Jensen

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Welcome to the site Kir! Congrats and good luck in your new spot!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 Toad

Toad
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to the site Kir! Congrats and good luck in your new spot!

Hey Kir!

Will the cupcakes be available only by special order or can I drop by on a friday and just pick them up? I will miss my friday jaunts to your cart! :blush: