Davis Street Tavern

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

Anyone have the scoop on this new restaurant? It's located in the old Three Lions space on NW 5th and Davis: www.davisstreettavern.com.

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

Here's their press release:

Davis Street Tavern, on the corner of NW 5th & Davis Street, will be a full service restaurant serving inspired Northwest cuisine in a historic Old Town landmark. Utilizing all the local and sustainable ingredients that the Northwest has to offer, Davis Street Tavern will redefine the classic American tavern.

Our chef, Gabriel Kapustka, previously had been a chef on Nantucket for seven years, working along side several James Beard award winning chefs such as Michael Schlow of Boston's Radius and Anthony Ambrose of Ambrosia on Huntington. Gabriel's family has called Oregon home for the last eighteen years, he was excited for the opportunity to settle in Portland and open Davis Street Tavern. “I am thrilled about the diverse bounty the Northwest has to offer. I am most excited to cultivate relationships with Oregon and Washington’s local farmers and purveyors, and showcase their ingredients on our menu.”

Christopher Handford moved to Portland three years ago from the East Coast, having worked in Nantucket, Aspen, Chicago, and New York City under many James Beard award winning restaurateurs such as Tom Collichio at Craft and Todd English at Olives. Most recently having worked at Andina for the last three years as their service manager, Christopher will handle the general management responsibilities at Davis Street Tavern. “My goal is to bring the best elements of fine dining to a tavern atmosphere, renewing the definition of a classic American Tavern.”

Christopher’s move from the east coast united him with his cousin Blake Smith, who will be handling the bar program at Davis Street Tavern. Blake has worked at a number of successful taverns throughout the area, including McMenamins and Henry’s 12th Street Tavern. “Old Town is on the cusp of a great revival. I’m excited to be part of the rebirth of this historic Portland neighborhood.”

Davis Street Tavern’s beverage program will feature artisan selections from the best producers in the Pacific Northwest. Traditional cocktails will be poured alongside our own unique recipes, and a continually rotating beer selection will feature dozens of tapped and bottled selections. Davis Street Tavern will showcase spirits from the burgeoning local micro distillery movement, including those from Lee Medoff of House Spirits and John Ufford of Indio Spirits, two long term friends and former co-workers of Blake. Our wine program will feature mostly Northwest selections poured with some of our favorite varietals from around the world.

Davis Street Tavern is being built in the historic Neville Bag Company warehouse at NW 5th & Davis Street. The 5,500 square foot restaurant will accommodate over 150 guests with a casual tavern area in the front and a more formal dining room and mezzanine in the back. The former Three Lion’s Bakery space is being restored to highlight the turn of the century architecture with its sixteen foot ceilings, 100 year old Douglas fir wood beams, and brick walls. Davis Street Tavern is located at 500 NW Davis Street in Old Town. We will be open from Monday to Saturday, serving lunch Monday to Friday. Dinner will be served nightly from 5:00 till late. Many private dining options are available. Our opening date is currently scheduled for sometime in November.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

Their web site is now showing a December opening date. It's also showing two hamburgers (well, one hamburger, one lamburger), both of which sound pretty tasty:

"Strip Loin Burger with Braised Pork Belly, Sharp Tillamook Cheddar, Crisp Romaine, & Tomato Jam.
Pickled Vegetable Salad & Shoestring Fries

Anderson Ranch Lamb Burger with Dried Apricot, Pine Nuts, Feta, & Roasted Red Onion. Served with Spicy Mint Yogurt & Shoestring Fries"

Kind of uncertain about how the dried apricot is going to work with the lamburger, but the hamburger with braised pork belly ( :blink: ) sounds like it's going to be just my speed.

#4 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Personally anything made with ground or chopped meat(irrespective of animal of origin), formed into a patty and severed on a roll or bun is a Hamburger to me. Without knowing if that burger is made with the belly ground into the beef mixture or if its served as a topping for the beef patty, it may or may not meet your definition of a "Hamburger"(which is apparently only if the patty is beef and beef only).

as far as the apricot goes, sounds like it could work if it, the feta,pine nuts and roasted red onion were made into a spread or paste of some sort to meld the sweetness of the apricots bit. But hell, lets just eat one and decide! :blink:
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#5 Nettie

Nettie
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

Kind of uncertain about how the dried apricot is going to work with the lamburger, but the hamburger with braised pork belly ( :blink: ) sounds like it's going to be just my speed.

Lamb and prune tagines are pretty standard in Moroccan cooking, so I can see the apricots working with the lamb in a similar way.

#6 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

Kind of uncertain about how the dried apricot is going to work with the lamburger, but the hamburger with braised pork belly ( :drool: ) sounds like it's going to be just my speed.

Lamb and prune tagines are pretty standard in Moroccan cooking, so I can see the apricots working with the lamb in a similar way.

Yes, looking at the other fixings makes it sound like that's the direction they're heading. I'm just not convinced that it will be good in a burger. They will definitely get a chance or two to convince me though.

#7 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

Davis Street Tavern opened officially on Tuesday. I might think of giving this place a spin after payday. I'm not sure if they are open for lunch yet at this point. If they are I'm SO THERE. I hope the oysters and the scallops taste as good as their descriptions. The menu looks delighful!

http://www.davisstre...vern.com/4.html

Tavern Menu:

Strip Loin Burger with Braised Pork Belly, Sharp Tillamook Cheddar, Crisp Romaine, & Tomato Jam.
Pickled Vegetable Salad & Shoestring Fries

Anderson Ranch Lamb Burger with Dried Apricot, Pine Nuts, Feta, & Roasted Red Onion. Served with Spicy Mint Yogurt & Shoestring Fries

Pan Crisped Calamari with Lemon, Tarragon, & Caper Berries with Green Chili Hollandaise

Kumomoto Oysters on the Half Shell with Cucumber, Pickled Shallot, & Smoked Steelhead Roe

Sauteed Mussels with Roasted Beet, Kaffir Lime, & Coconut Milk

Spaghetti Squash & Chanterelle Cakes with Tangy Chick Peas & Curried Crème Fraiche

Cheese Crostini Trio of Roasted Cioppolini~Boursin, White Bean~Rogue River Blue, Roasted Beet~Fromage Blanc

Artisan Cheese Plate with Pistachio Brittle, Apple, & Bee Pollen

Autumn Lunch/Dinner Menu

Dungeness Crab Bisque with Roasted Squash & Fine Herbes

Columbia River Sturgeon “Gumbo” with Andouille Sausage & Cornmeal Fried Okra

Seared Tuna with Arugula, Fennel, Torpedo Onion, Shaved Reggiano, & Roasted Pear Vinaigrette

Classic Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic, White Anchovy, & Warm Foccacia Croutons

Butter Lettuce, Baby Spinach with Grape Tomatoes, French Radish, Rogue River Blue with Cider~Pink Peppercorn Vinaigrette

Marinated Beets, Spiced Almonds, Zested Goat Cheese, Pickled Shallot, & Tangerine~Mint Vinaigrette

Seared Sea Scallops with Roasted Sunchokes, Spinach Puree, Lardon Cracklings

Pan Roasted Quail with Hazelnut~Quinoa Stuffing, Chestnut Puree, Marionberry Gastrique

Stuffed Savoy Cabbage Rolls with Farro, Pignolis, Dried Apricot, Pickled Rutabega & Caraway Bechamel

Grilled New York Strip Steak with Potato~Leek Pastry, Wild Mushroom Ragout, & Sauteed Escarole

Seared Chicken Breast with Velvety Artisinal Mac ‘n’ Cheese, & Pancetta Broccolini

Grilled Tuna Loin with Griddled Goat Cheese Risotto Cake, Brussel Leaves, Turnip, & Apricot Chutney

Crisp Sea Bass with Toasted Corn, Chorizo, Cockles, & Italian Parsley Sauce

Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb with Acorn Squash, Braised Greens, Cider~Mint Jus

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Saffron Potatoes, Braised Caabbage & Roasted Apples

Best regards,

Amanda

#8 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

Davis Street Tavern opened officially on Tuesday. I might think of giving this place a spin after payday. I'm not sure if they are open for lunch yet at this point. If they are I'm SO THERE. I hope the oysters and the scallops taste as good as their descriptions.

Amanda ~

This week is out {today is the 12th floor xmas party @ Henry's & tomorrow I have a conference call during lunch}, but I could join you for lunch there one day next week. I already have lunch plans for Monday {burgers at Clyde Common w/ co-workers!} & Thursday, but the other days are open. What does your schedule look like?

And if anyone else would like to join us, you're more then welcome.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

I'm booked on Friday and there is one day next week when I'm taking a co-worker for her birthday lunch. She hasn't decided which day yet, though. I'd love to go to Davis Street with you, Cat!

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 junebug

junebug
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

I'm booked on Friday and there is one day next week when I'm taking a co-worker for her birthday lunch. She hasn't decided which day yet, though. I'd love to go to Davis Street with you, Cat!

Best regards,

Amanda

I don't think they are going to be open for lunch until after the New Year, but I could be wrong. They do open for dinner service starting tonight. Closed on Sundays.

#11 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi Junebug!

Welcome to the site and thanks for clueing us in.

Best regards,

Amanda

#12 junebug

junebug
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:40 AM

Hi Junebug!

Welcome to the site and thanks for clueing us in.

Best regards,

Amanda

Thanks for the welcome Amanda! Just to let you know, we have lunch reso's on Wednesday, their official second day of lunch service. Happy New Year!

#13 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

A friend and I went to Davis Street Tavern for lunch today. I really liked it.

I started off with oysters on the half shell. They were fresh and lovely with cucumber and fish roe. The fish roe gave it a slight smokey aftertaste. It was a very nice dish.

We both had burgers for lunch. She had the strip loin burger and I had the lamb. Both were cooked perfectly to order and were delicious. In my mind I thought the lamb burger would taste a bit more exotic. Instead it just tasted like a lamb burger with some pepper and grilled onion. There was no hint of mint, the yogurt sauce was fine, and there were pine nuts, but they didn't seem to have as much flavor as I would have expected. I think I was expecting something more like a kibbee is flavored. No fault of the restaurant, just my own expectations. Still, it was not disappointing. My friend really loved her burger and thought it better than Chez Joly's version. The fries were pretty good, well seasoned, with a thinness similar to K&Z's and Clyde Common's, but not quite as crisp. Wait staff was very attentive and pleasant.

Next time I will go and try something else on the menu. There were plenty of things that looked liked they would be good. This is a place that will be high on my list of places to eat in Old Town in the future. It has tasty food, and the decor and atmosphere are elegantly understated. I hope this place makes it. I want the opportunity to eat here more often. So glad it is now a lunch option now. It's a giant step up from Ford's on Fifth, which isn't even worth going to, IMO.

Best regards,

Amanda

#14 loki

loki
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

I went to Davis Street for a quick beer and a burger. The beer selection was thoughtful and good. The burger was delicious, and on chatting with the very cordial bartender I was impressed to hear that the burgers are ground to order. Being that it was late it was not too busy but I hope that will change, and judging by the food and service I am sure it will.
I look forward to going back again and again to work my way through the menu.

#15 dirtyboy

dirtyboy
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Anyone know the happy hour times?

#16 junebug

junebug
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Anyone know the happy hour times?

I think it's 4 to 6 p.m. mon-saturday

#17 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

What are the Happy Hour deals, I wonder? Nibbles at a reduced price or drink specials? I haven't had a regular happy hour spot since stupid-ass McFadden's took over Uogashi years ago. Davis Street may lure me to the watering hole more often after work.

Best regards,

Amanda

#18 maija

maija
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

What are the Happy Hour deals, I wonder? Nibbles at a reduced price or drink specials? I haven't had a regular happy hour spot since stupid-ass McFadden's took over Uogashi years ago. Davis Street may lure me to the watering hole more often after work.

Best regards,

Amanda

Looks like possibly both. The website has a happy hour menu - $5 plates of food. It also lists two wines & two beers, but no prices for those (but I assume they are discounted since they are called out on the HH menu).

http://www.davisstre...ern.com/10.html

#19 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Even though I brought my lunch yesterday and didn't really have time to be going out to lunch, I just HAD to get out of the office for a couple of minutes and get some fresh air. I was going to go to Superdog but then I decided I didn't have enough time for that, so I hit the new Davis Street Tavern instead. Wow. This place is seriously good and I can see myself there often...

It reminded me a little bit of Victory in that the food I had there today, I can totally picture coming out of Victory's kitchen {and it was at the same price point} even though DST has a much nicer décor. I ordered the daily lunch special of grilled cheese & tomato soup which sounds much simpler than what I received. The sandwich was a combination of smoked gouda, boursin & sharp Tillimook cheddar that was interesting, very good and balanced just right while at the same time tasting original. The tomato soup had a lot going on for a winter tomato soup: more texture than I would have expected, rich flavor and and a brightness that actually made me feel cheerful while eating it. It was a soup that made me feel good, not just a "oh what the hell, it's cold outside I might as well have soup." I'm looking forward to walking down the rest of the menu.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#20 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

Davis Street Tavern is my new food crush! The food is fantastic. The friends I went to lunch with both had the strip loin burger and fries. I got the rabbit & parsnip pot pie with green salad. OMG!!! It was so delicious. Both of my pals were totally impressed. As things came out of the kitchen I checked them out. They had a couple specials, one being the grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup Cat was speaking of and the other being a pulled pork sandwich. I want to try both. They looked fantastic. Their soup of the day was French Onion and it looked hearty and wonderful. I'm in love. What can I say? I want to try everything! I haven't been for happy hour or dinner...yet, but the lunch offerings there are Top Notch Excellent!

Best regards,

Amanda