Asian Station

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

Sorry! We are back to regular lunch hours from 11:30 to about 2:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, and not opened on Saturdays anymore. Please stop by this week while you are on vacation and Mel will take care of you.

Thank you! Cindy

OK, I finally made it in today. It was a young man at the counter who said it was his last day since school is starting back up.

The dumplings were very good.

Now I need to find a time when I can get my girlfriend there so she can try roti and curry. I'm also looking forward to trying the Singapore noodles.

It was a beautiful day outside at lunch today. I can't recall the last time I was bopping around downtown on a weekday. It made me wonder what it would be like to work downtown.

#102 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

Does anyone know if Asia Station is doing Saturday soup dumplings? Are they open any other time other than lunch? Hours aren't on their website and there's no message on their phone line.

Also, my apologies for posting this in a new thread...I couldn't find the existing one for this place.

#103 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:17 AM

Does anyone know if Asia Station is doing Saturday soup dumplings? Are they open any other time other than lunch? Hours aren't on their website and there's no message on their phone line.

Also, my apologies for posting this in a new thread...I couldn't find the existing one for this place.

That's 'cause it's called Asian Station. And last I heard, yes they were doing xiao long bao on Saturdays.

http://www.portlandf...?showtopic=6495
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#104 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

merged

#105 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

Sorry! We are back to regular lunch hours from 11:30 to about 2:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, and not opened on Saturdays anymore. Please stop by this week while you are on vacation and Mel will take care of you.

Thank you! Cindy

The post above from September 2nd says they are not open on Saturdays anymore.

#106 nihaoma

nihaoma
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

I see someone mentioned Din Tai Fung. I just came back from LA which included a must-have trip to that restaurant - http://www.dintaifun...uisine01_1.html. I will definitely go to downtown to try out the xiaolongtangbao's/soup dumplings by Asian Station.

By the way, the best xiaolongtangbao I had was in Vancouver BC. Now my hope is up since I found out about this local cart!

Din Tai Fung is certainly the standard bearer in LA, but it's actually not even the consensus favorite. Other XLB devotees also enjoy Mei Long Village and my favorite is J&J, all in the San Gabriel Valley.

I still think it's worth pointing out, though, that in a city with as varied Chinese cuisine as Los Angeles, you can still count the number of XLB joints on one hand. Asian Station is certainly doing something special.

Mei Long and J&J? Cool I'm there...well next time I visit LA:)

about Din Tai Fung, the first time when I had their tang bao, it was like "wow", then I went to their flagship restaurant in Taipei, it was like "WOW", and when I went to Richmond, BC and tried a couple of Shanghainese restaurants, it was then "WOWWWWWW!!!" so I totally see your point about LA's Din Tai Fung.

if I remember correctly, the two in Vancouver I went to are "Shanghai Wonderful" and "Shanghai River"

wow "Wei-Chuan"!!!

that's all I got to say

#107 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

wow "Wei-Chuan"!!!

that's all I got to say

I was actually worried since Asian Station had been closed for about a month it seemed. But they're open today; I'm definitely due for some XLB.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#108 ponzu

ponzu
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Went here the other day when Nong's was sold out and was very disapointed.

The XLB were steamed from frozen. The skins were too thick and the meat was salty and washed out in flavor. There was not enough juice in the dumplings. Worst of all is the way they are served all jumbled together in a plastic tray with soy sauce covered rice. In my view The whole point of XLB is soup bursting from the delicate skin. When the dumplings touch each other, as they cool they stick and at least one of the touching dumplings loses its skin and bursts thus losing all its soup. This is not a presentation that instills faith in the integrity of the operation.

We also ordered the "spicy" cold noodles with tofu which was essentially a bunch of overcooked bland white noodles in an insipid soy based sauce. It was a bland waterry mess.

#109 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

Went here the other day when Nong's was sold out and was very disapointed.

The XLB were steamed from frozen. The skins were too thick and the meat was salty and washed out in flavor. There was not enough juice in the dumplings. Worst of all is the way they are served all jumbled together in a plastic tray with soy sauce covered rice. In my view The whole point of XLB is soup bursting from the delicate skin. When the dumplings touch each other, as they cool they stick and at least one of the touching dumplings loses its skin and bursts thus losing all its soup. This is not a presentation that instills faith in the integrity of the operation.

We also ordered the "spicy" cold noodles with tofu which was essentially a bunch of overcooked bland white noodles in an insipid soy based sauce. It was a bland waterry mess.

I had one meal here and thought the people who liked this place were out of their minds. everything is frozen commercial. roti were sweet yet served as savory. Guy who served me was very patronizing.

#110 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

I had a similar experience a week or two ago. Change of ownership perhaps? Anyone any clue?
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#111 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

Agree that something's going on -- maybe the cart changed hands? I stopped by yesterday for lunch, and the cart was staffed by two dudes in their 20s, one with facial piercings -- these are not the original owners, right? (Though of course they could be working for them.)

I got a Malaysian coconut chicken curry lunch with potstickers. Main flavor in the curry was coconut - very bland and boring. The potstickers were steamed; they were fine, but nothing to write home about. Not technically potstickers if they're not browned in a pan, are they?

#112 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

The original owners were an asian woman and her caucasian husband, both in their late 30s/early 40s. I mostly saw the guy running the cart, and he is a very kind man. Always talkative, gracious for your business, and has a smile on his face. Makes me want to call and find out what's up.

#113 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

The original owners were an asian woman and her caucasian husband, both in their late 30s/early 40s. I mostly saw the guy running the cart, and he is a very kind man. Always talkative, gracious for your business, and has a smile on his face. Makes me want to call and find out what's up.

Passed by the cart yesterday. Closed and a For Sale sign on the door. Good location. Looks perfect for dosas. Anybody?

#114 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:21 PM

so no more soup dumpling for portland. it was nice while it lasted (the original).

#115 Marya

Marya
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

That's too bad. But the quality had really gone down with the new staffing, whether the original owners were still involved or not. I ordered my beloved cold noodles a month or two ago and got some seriously watery noodles with rancid cucumbers. Ugh.