Asian Station

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 Asian Station

Asian Station
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

Hi. We recently opened a food cart Asian Station Cafe on SW 10th and Alder St downtown Portland and we sell soup dumplings and yes they are the super delicious dumplings filled with a burst of savory soup. You dip it into a chinese red vinegar sauce and it is delicious! Read about us at www.foodcartsportland.com or visit our website @ www.asianstationcafe.com.

They are hard to find and quite labor intensive but oh so worth it. Call ahead so you don't have to wait outside while we prepare it.
Happy eating!
B)

#2 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hi. We recently opened a food cart Asian Station Cafe on SW 10th and Alder St downtown Portland and we sell soup dumplings and yes they are the super delicious dumplings filled with a burst of savory soup. You dip it into a chinese red vinegar sauce and it is delicious! Read about us at www.foodcartsportland.com or visit our website @ www.asianstationcafe.com.

They are hard to find and quite labor intensive but oh so worth it. Call ahead so you don't have to wait outside while we prepare it.
Happy eating!
:D

OMG, it's really them! :o :)

Posted Image

I will be at your establishment post haste. B) Thank you for posting!!!!

#3 Asian Station

Asian Station
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Wow, they look even better with this picture! I'm getting really hungry right now! So cool that you are so enthusiastic about them. Look forward to seeing you at our cart!

Happy eating!
:D

OMG, it's really them! :o :)

I will be at your establishment post haste. B) Thank you for posting!!!!

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

I don't know if anyone checked out the rest of their site, but they also have:

banh mi
roti canai
banh mi ca ri
chicken with green papaya salad

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

I don't know if anyone checked out the rest of their site, but they also have:

banh mi
roti canai
banh mi ca ri
chicken with green papaya salad

Anyone want to meet up for lunch on Thursday (ie in about 11 hours). I'm most interested in the banh mi ca ri, as I've never had a curry sandwich.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#6 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

Anyone want to meet up for lunch on Thursday (ie in about 11 hours). I'm most interested in the banh mi ca ri, as I've never had a curry sandwich.

My lunch date just bailed on me. What time, Sauce?

#7 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Noon on the dot sounds good. I'll see you there. Maybe a certain deli proprietor might be able to escape a lunch rush also.

#8 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Noon on the dot sounds good. I'll see you there. Maybe a certain deli proprietor might be able to escape a lunch rush also.

If you're talking about Nick, he's often sleeping in at that time. Or hosting during the lunch rush. I, on the other hand...I'll try to make it over - those dumplings look terrific. If I don't get there at noon, I'll likely get over by 1 or 1:30.
signature

#9 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

The picture suggests that there are 4 per order, but there are actually 8. It's served with vinegar and pickled daikon. The XLB were quite good, and eating them outside actually helped in bringing them down to a temperature where, upon biting them, it didn't scald the inside of your cheeks. They don't have soup spoons (I imagine they're expecting a lot of takeaway business to respective offices) and so I had to resort to biting off a nib, and slurping the soup out.

#10 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

They don't have soup spoons (I imagine they're expecting a lot of takeaway business to respective offices) and so I had to resort to biting off a nib, and slurping the soup out.

On second thought, what I'll do next time is pour the vinegar out over the daikon, place a dumpling in the little 1.5oz plastic cuppy, puncture (optionally adding back in a few strands of daikon) and slurp. As you can see, there really is no substitute for having the proper tools, but you make do when you're eating at a pod.

#11 Mr Burnside

Mr Burnside
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

i just eat the damn thing.

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

You'll miss out on the soup then, as it will spill out all over the place, possibly onto your crotch, scalding your business.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. George Carlin

#13 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hey, thanks a lot you guys! I got there at 12:45 and they had sold out of the dumplings. What did you have, like nine orders each? :)

They said they could have more in 15-20 minutes, but I couldn't wait. Had a Banh Mi as a consolation. It was good - not the best I've had, and perhaps a bit pricey at $4.50, but satisfying nonetheless.

I'll return earlier next time...maybe tomorrow.
signature

#14 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hey, thanks a lot you guys! I got there at 12:45 and they had sold out of the dumplings. What did you have, like nine orders each? :)

They said they could have more in 15-20 minutes, but I couldn't wait. Had a Banh Mi as a consolation. It was good - not the best I've had, and perhaps a bit pricey at $4.50, but satisfying nonetheless.

What happened was that I originally asked for two orders, figuring that there would be 4 pieces each. Upon realizing that each order was actually 8 pieces, I asked them to DNM the second order, but I think they already had it out of the steamer. Instead of 86ing it, they gave out samples.

You must have walked up just as VJ and I abandoned the table. Afterwards we caffeinated over at the Ace Stumptown.

You'll miss out on the soup then, as it will spill out all over the place, possibly onto your crotch, scalding your business.

It's certainly happened to me in the past, where I had soup, um, all up in my situation.

#15 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

I have nothing to compare the XLB to, but I loved them. What a treat! They were just delicious and a nice contrast of textures.

We got to taste the Malay curry -- very nice -- and I got the banh mi ga. This is easily the best banh mi downtown, even though the filling/bread ratio is way off. I loved the long slices of jalapeno, and the chicken was very flavorful. But way too much bread.

And, the folks at Asian Station were incredibly, incredibly friendly. All and all, a great experience.

#16 Asian Station

Asian Station
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

omigosh, y'all are hilarious. Okay, we'll have some soup spoons so nobody burns their business. I think our business insurance covers that ???? :o Thanks for your business everyone!! It was fun today.

What happened was that I originally asked for two orders, figuring that there would be 4 pieces each. Upon realizing that each order was actually 8 pieces, I asked them to DNM the second order, but I think they already had it out of the steamer. Instead of 86ing it, they gave out samples.

You must have walked up just as VJ and I abandoned the table. Afterwards we caffeinated over at the Ace Stumptown.

It's certainly happened to me in the past, where I had soup, um, all up in my situation.

#17 Asian Station

Asian Station
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

It was such a pleasure to just meet everyone today. We will stuff the banh mi next time. We also lowered the price because banh mi is banh mi and shouldn't be costing. The chicken is yummy marinated from my "i have to kill you if you know the recipe" sauce.

Just made our day. Thanks for the wonderful plug. :)

I have nothing to compare the XLB to, but I loved them. What a treat! They were just delicious and a nice contrast of textures.

We got to taste the Malay curry -- very nice -- and I got the banh mi ga. This is easily the best banh mi downtown, even though the filling/bread ratio is way off. I loved the long slices of jalapeno, and the chicken was very flavorful. But way too much bread.

And, the folks at Asian Station were incredibly, incredibly friendly. All and all, a great experience.

#18 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

It was such a pleasure to just meet everyone today. We will stuff the banh mi next time. We also lowered the price because banh mi is banh mi and shouldn't be costing. The chicken is yummy marinated from my "i have to kill you if you know the recipe" sauce.

Just made our day. Thanks for the wonderful plug. :)

This right here is why I love this site. (Not because the price just came down, but because there is dialog between restaurant owners and customers.) :o

#19 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

Cindy & Mel (did I get it right?) -
I don't know that you need to stuff the banh mi, because that's not really traditional either (though, I bet it's wonderful). I'd just look at gettting a smaller, lighter roll. I think both Binh Minh and Lanvin (and Au Xuyen) sell their french breads, though I don't know if you need to pick them up (I'm guessing so, if BaconLuv is following this thread, maybe she'll pipe up). The traditional breads are made with both rice and wheat flour, so that makes them a little lighter as well.

That said, only people like me who eat too many banh mi and have crazy standards are even going to care about this stuff!

#20 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Just sent my Smokemaster Mathew over to get an order each for us before they ran out.

Yum. Very tasty and delicate. Vinegar sauce could have used a little hot oil heat - I'll add some next time.
signature