Looking for a Goose...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Where is a good place to get a goose to cook for Thanksgiving?

#2 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

i just saw geese in the cold case at new seasons, next to the turkeys.

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

I'll bet Viande can get one for ya.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

I get my St. Martins day(feel free to google it) goose at Lambs thriftway. that being said, Have ordered from D' Artagnian in the past and they are superb birds! spendy though.....like 12$ a pound if I remember.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

I've seen them even at Fred Meyer's around this time of year, frozen with the turkeys and ducks. I'm pretty sure I've seen them frozen at Whole Foods, too, also near the ducks.

However, I would probably call up Gartner's, if it was me.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 amtbr

amtbr
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

I'll try to steer you away from this idea. We tried one of these a few years back and it was a disappointment. A goose has a surprisingly little amount of meat on it. While the meat tasted good, it was hardly worth the extra money and trouble of finding a goose.

#7 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Bale's Thriftway on Cornell has them frozen.

My favorite way to prepare a goose is to brine it for a day, then dry it overnight in the refrigerator, then smoke it. Mmmm....smoked goose.

But they do put off a lot of fat, so have a good catch system or be ready to clean up a mess!

#8 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

My favorite way to prepare a goose is to brine it for a day, then dry it overnight in the refrigerator, then smoke it. Mmmm....smoked goose.

But they do put off a lot of fat, so have a good catch system or be ready to clean up a mess!

Is it possible to steam it a bit first to render out some of the fat (which can be used in lots of other things). Or would that change the smoking too radically?

I don't think I've ever cooked a goose before, or at least not for +20 years...
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#9 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

Is it possible to steam it a bit first to render out some of the fat (which can be used in lots of other things). Or would that change the smoking too radically?

I don't think I've ever cooked a goose before, or at least not for +20 years...

I do know that the product you're going to smoke needs to be cold and dry to get a good smoke. I've read that smoke penetrates best under 140'. When I make pastrami, I smoke the brisket first and then steam it, might work for goose that way as well. Sounds like a challenge, may have to get me a goose soon!

Goose pastrami - not your traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but could be pretty good anyway.

#10 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

I'll try to steer you away from this idea. We tried one of these a few years back and it was a disappointment. A goose has a surprisingly little amount of meat on it. While the meat tasted good, it was hardly worth the extra money and trouble of finding a goose.

I prefer goose to duck. Yeah, there is a lot of fat that comes off(like rendered goose fat is a bad thing) and there isnt a whole lot of meat(a whole goose is still enough to feed 4-5 people), but the flavor is superior IMO. Almost better then the goose itself is the goose fat french fries and goose noodle soup afterwards! :think:
almost forgot the chefs secret.......crispy goose skin(that for some weird reason never makes it to the table :) )

also, the last time i roasted a goose I had something really close to a quart of fat left. It doesnt take much effort to find a use for it all.

and to the point earlier in the thread about a gooses fat being so that they float......its more about the fact that the Canadian goose has a yearly round trip migration of something like 15,000miles! one way is covered in about 3 weeks, and they spend upwards of 15hours a day(nonstop) in flight. By the time they get to their winter breeding grounds they have lost aproximately 1/3rd their body weight. Their feathers(with trapped air between the many layers of feather and down) are what they use for bouyancy.
Interesting side note, the Sauvies Island watershed is THE major stop over in the Western Flyover Migration Path......lots of geese have met their demise at the end of my shotgun out there. If you ever want to see the sky darkened by hundreds of thousands of geese, take a drive out their on a really stormy day and have a gander(sorry, I couldnt resist ;) )
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#11 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

"lots of geese have met their demise at the end of my shotgun out there"

Um... I like goose, you like Asahi... maybe a deal could be worked out? :)
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#12 cfox

cfox
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

I believe that Sheridan's on MLK has anything and everything you could need. :shifty:

#13 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Cash and Carry might be an option. Have no clue as to the quality.
~A~

#14 chefasaurus

chefasaurus
  • Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

.lots of geese have met their demise at the end of my shotgun out there.

RM--

I would consider finding a hunter who might be interested in working something out. It is the season after all.

Here's the regulations and stuff from Department of Fish and Game, Link\

#15 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

Kookoolan Farms (Sunday Hillsdale Market) had geese yesterday. Be prepared, they come head, feet and all.

#16 Jason Wax

Jason Wax
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Kookoolan Farms (Sunday Hillsdale Market) had geese yesterday. Be prepared, they come head, feet and all.

Here's a good tutorial on breaking down and utilizing a whole duck, which'll work just fine for a goose as well.

Linky