Photo

Bon Appétit magazine

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Am I the only one who is turned off by the fact that Cat Cora is their executive chef? This magazine has really disappointed me this year. It started with their mod-looking redesign where a lot of their content seems disjointed from the pages, to their switch of food stylist and/or photographer. I haven't liked the new photography since their redesign in January. I figured I'd give it a few issues for them to find their groove, but it hasn't improved one bit. And now I received an email about a food event in NYC, with a big photo of Cat Cora as executive chef of the magazine. Wow. Now I feel like I can barely trust their recipes.

Edit: oops, it's Bon Appetit (2 p's)

#2 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Is it because you distrust Cat Cora? and if so, why? her appearance on FoodTV? dislike of her cooking? maybe a little more detail would be in order? and FWIW, I dont see any conflict to her being the executive chef of the magazine.

as for Bon Appetit itself, I have never been that much of a fan of it or its recipes. Always had this smug factor to it, mixed with all the recipes seem to be for things I would never want to cook anyways.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

Is it because you distrust Cat Cora? and if so, why? her appearance on FoodTV? dislike of her cooking? maybe a little more detail would be in order? and FWIW, I dont see any conflict to her being the executive chef of the magazine.

as for Bon Appetit itself, I have never been that much of a fan of it or its recipes. Always had this smug factor to it, mixed with all the recipes seem to be for things I would never want to cook anyways.

I don't like her cooking. Dishes on her show (many years back) & Iron Chef tend to be everything-but-the-ktichen-sink types. It's funny you mentioned the smug factor of the magazine. I've noticed over the years that Gourmet and Bon Appetit tend to trade turns with this. One publication will go more mainstream while the other shifts to more of a Saveur approach, with elite travel articles and stuff that's frankly not very tangible for me as far as a cooking reference. I used to cook a lot from Bon Appetit. Admittedly before the baby came along so I barely get much chance to cook at all these days, but I still enjoy reading food magazines. Fine Cooking being my favorite.

#4 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

You don't trust this lady?!

Posted Image

#5 nagrom

nagrom
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

Ok, she is ridiculous. I have to say though, that I've had the opposite reaction to the Bon Appetit redesign. I never ever used it until the redesign. I found the old version to be too simple and old fashioned. I like the weird photography and have found the recipes to have improved, or at least be more interesting. I suppose it's a matter of preference and whatnot, but I signed up for a subscription after the remodel.

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

Ok, she is ridiculous. I have to say though, that I've had the opposite reaction to the Bon Appetit redesign. I never ever used it until the redesign. I found the old version to be too simple and old fashioned. I like the weird photography and have found the recipes to have improved, or at least be more interesting. I suppose it's a matter of preference and whatnot, but I signed up for a subscription after the remodel.

Oh wow, interesting! I wonder how many subscribers they gained/lost from the switch. Probably too hard to measure over a short period.

That photo is hilarious! Reminds of the early soft pin-up candy-striper photos of Rachel Ray. Uggh! I long for the days when cooking shows were World Class Cuisine, Biba's Kitchen, and Molto Mario. They were on PBS and Discovery 10+ years ago. I learned so much in those shows and the majority of the stuff out there now is just crap. Even Michael Chiarello used to be so informative, but his show later on turned into one big plug for NapaStyle.

Off topic, sorry.

#7 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

I signed up for a subscription after they re-did it, too. I do hate a lot of the photography, especially the latest cover, but they make up for it with some really nice photography, and I like the stuff about seasonal vegetables. Not to mention, Dorie Greenspan is writing for it, along with Molly Wizenberg

#8 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

Posted Image

...and she cooks too??? Wow! I always wanted a "sidekick". Maybe she could be Milkwoman or Milkmama.
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down

#9 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think "Yeah I'll take ape tit for $200"

Posted Image

#10 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think "Yeah I'll take ape tit for $200"

Posted Image

Yes, this is because you are slightly deranged ;)

#11 PDX_Hops

PDX_Hops
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Posted Image

I'd never considered a subscription before, but now...

#12 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Would one of our fine moderators please correct the Thread Title spelling?

Should be "Bon Appétit"

Gracias!

#13 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Should be "Bon Appétit"

Gracias!

Thanks, I tried to as soon as I posted it but now I know that mod's can fix this stuff. thanks!

#14 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

Should be "Bon Appétit"

Gracias!

Thanks, I tried to as soon as I posted it but now I know that mod's can fix this stuff. thanks!

Glad to help out. Those moderators have magical powers.

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Changes coming next month to Bon Appétit mag, along with a new ad campaign titled "Bite Me".

http://www.nytimes.c...adcol.html?_r=1

The campaign will help herald the arrival at Bon Appétit of a new editor in chief, Adam Rapoport; the first issue under his aegis is planned for May. Condé Nast also recently assigned Bon Appétit a new vice president and publisher, Pamela Drucker Mann, who is considered an up-and-coming executive at the company.

“There has been tremendous success” for food magazines appealing to “the mass market, the mom throwing together a quick and easy meal for the kids,” acknowledged William J. Wackermann, executive vice president and publishing director at Condé Nast in New York, who oversees Bon Appétit and the vestiges of the Gourmet brand like gourmet.com.

By contrast, Bon Appétit will appeal to a reader whom Mr. Wackermann calls “the forgotten foodie,” someone who believes “the meal is more than the food; it’s about fun, it’s about friends and family, it’s about your life.”

Bon Appétit will continue, as it has for decades, to “deliver recipes to its core audience,” Mr. Wackermann said, “and add some lifestyle” editorial content by covering, in “a more contemporary, relevant” way, subjects like travel and restaurants.

The additional topics are meant to appeal “to new people,” he added, especially younger, affluent consumers who may have previously read Gourmet, other food magazines, food blogs — or perhaps nothing food-related at all.

“The Gourmet reader was about searching all day for one spice to create that meal,” Mr. Wackermann said, while the new Bon Appétit will be aimed more at readers who are “about inviting friends over for a great meal.”

“Gourmet’s value lies in its heritage,” he added. “Bon Appétit’s value lies in its future.”

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Just what the world needs: another Oprah/Real Simple/Martha Stewart/Every Day with Rachel Ray magazine.

“Gourmet’s value lies in its heritage,” he added. “Bon Appétit’s value lies in its future.”

"Caring about ingredients and quality is the past."

Slow food is dead.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

The article seemed confusing to me. The only thing that seemed clear was the fact that they're changing the magazine. And these types of comments just made me think, "Huh?"

Bon Appétit will appeal to a reader whom Mr. Wackermann calls “the forgotten foodie,” someone who believes “the meal is more than the food; it’s about fun, it’s about friends and family, it’s about your life.”

So you're going to be a food magazine that doesn't think the food is that important? That's fine, then launch a new rag for lifestyles & social occasions, but don't further alienate whatever readership you have left. Besides, don't they know, 20-somethings are almost entirely plugged in, they don't buy snail mail magazine subscriptions. Yet their goal is to up their ad pages. I dunno.

They went on to talk about adding in travel & restaurant pieces. But this is exactly what Gourmet was. Maybe they'll try to blend the two magazines but not stress ingredients or food as being that important.

“The Gourmet reader was about searching all day for one spice to create that meal,” Mr. Wackermann said, while the new Bon Appétit will be aimed more at readers who are “about inviting friends over for a great meal.”

Granted, I've been guilty of doing just this. But did he ever read an issue of Gourmet? It was the last remaining culinary journalism & travel magazine out there aside from Saveur.

“It helps to change the conversation from what was to what will be,” she said, by taking steps like “putting new editors and new publishers in place.”

Uggh. :wacko:

#18 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

$8 for a 1-year subscription to Bon Appetit or $15 for a 2-year from Tippr today.

https://tippr.com/of...tm_content=main

I was off Bon Appetit for a year or so, after the redesign that I didn't like. But the last few issues that I thumbed through at the grocery seemed much better.