Oregonian Foodday Freebie.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

"dog obedience training tool(might also work on wife!?"

It doesn't. :D

Unless of course you wrap it around a brick first. :D
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#22 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

Unless of course you wrap it around a brick first

ahh, thats sweet! softening the blow. Thats how she knows you really do love her!
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#23 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

You hurt the ones you love the most... a subtle form of compliment.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#24 allison

allison
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Let me get this straight - what you're all saying is that you'd rather a random person that you don't know loses her job, than have a useless publication forced down your throat once a week? Screw y'all.

My personal opinion is they should make the free weekly a tab size (like the Mercury or WW) and instead of throwing it in people's lawns, just having it displayed on street corners next to all the other local publications, so people can pick it up if they want it. And they could definitely jazz up the content.

#25 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness &amp; quirky food fun

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Let me get this straight - what you're all saying is that you'd rather a random person that you don't know loses her job, than have a useless publication forced down your throat once a week? Screw y'all.

Sorry Allison,
but stop drinking the kool-aid at work.

your job security has more to do with paper Newspapers being less relevant in this day and age than us hating the spam the O litters at our houses.

I wouldn't fight this fight here- its not worth it and you'll just feel more insulted.

#26 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

This caused me a moment of pause and I'm sorry for the conclusion I came to. If "one random person" loses her job and it means that tons of newspaper and plastic doesn't end up littering landfills every week then yes, I'm sorry, that is what I'm saying. I'm also comfortable saying that if a business is dependent on antiquated means of turning a profit, it's probably a really good time to make some tough choices and become more innovative, both for the business and for the employees whose jobs are dependent on the business.

I didn't want it to go there, didn't start this topic for that reason, but that's my take on it. Emailing my friends at the O right now to apologize.

My personal opinion is they should make the free weekly a tab size (like the Mercury or WW) and instead of throwing it in people's lawns, just having it displayed on street corners next to all the other local publications, so people can pick it up if they want it. And they could definitely jazz up the content.

If they were to do this with precise targeting of distribution and complement it with an online venture it would be a good start.

#27 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

So if my job entailed throwing garbage on your lawn once a week - you'd be all "woo hoo, bring it on!" ?

It reminds me of when I was growing up in Miami and the Jehovah's Witnesses would come to the house every week and knock on the door. Drove me batty. And trying to get in my face and force something I don't want on me, is only going to make my dislike stronger.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#28 allison

allison
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

Sorry Allison,
but stop drinking the kool-aid at work.

your job security has more to do with paper Newspapers being less relevant in this day and age than us hating the spam the O litters at our houses.

I wouldn't fight this fight here- its not worth it and you'll just feel more insulted.

I was trying to be funny, people! My attempt at witty sarcasm didn't translate on it's way from my brain to the keyboard, apparently. I'm fully aware that newspapers around the country are failing miserably, and that it's not because people don't want the free weekly. I don't take offense to that.

#29 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

you know, with the sheer amount of vitriol oozing forth about something so innocuous as a weekly free paper, you would think it was covered in GOP campaign buttons and printed by David Duke!?

its paper, made primarily from recycled paper, delivered by hipster/slackers. Its not evil, and advocating that someone lose their job because you feel its wasteful......well thats just shitty and smug.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#30 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

I just received the second one yesterday, after I called them last week requesting to longer receive this freebie, since I get enough junk mail in my life already. Was told no problem......obviously it is a problem.....so annoying...same damn thin with Phone books! I don't need 2 phone books every damn year. Anyone have a clue how to stop those? I don't even have a damn lan line so I don't have anyone to complain to!

I hate the damn phone books. I've flagged those guys down and made them take them back only to have them double back and leave them when I'm not looking.

Last time I gathered them up from the neighbors that didn't want them and hauled them all to the recycling station.

#31 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

you know, with the sheer amount of vitriol oozing forth about something so innocuous as a weekly free paper, you would think it was covered in GOP campaign buttons and printed by David Duke!?

It's printed by David Duke! I knew it! :D

#32 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

its paper, made primarily from recycled paper, delivered by hipster/slackers. Its not evil, and advocating that someone lose their job because you feel its wasteful......well thats just shitty and smug.

Read what you want to read.

I was really hoping that you'd step in and make this political. Job well done.

Calling me "shitty and smug?" That is just so awesome. Thanks for another well thought out contribution to a thread you likely have no interest in except stirring up shit. Last refuge of what?

[Edit: Vitriol? The closest thing I could find to that would be your tongue in cheek joke about the always popular beating of wives.]

#33 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

come on, MR!
first off, I didnt call YOU shitty and smug, just your callousness towards Allison.
second, other then a few tongue in cheek comments, I havent made this political. Its not, and i dont see how it could be made to be such.

Hey, If you want to make a paper on your porch into a stand against wastefulness in the world, well, have fun with that........I know Im going to!

#34 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

"[Edit: Vitriol? The closest thing I could find to that would be your tongue in cheek joke about the always popular beating of wives.]"

Ummm... stop giving Mr.Oatmeal credit for my wife beating jokes!

#35 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

I just received the second one yesterday, after I called them last week requesting to longer receive this freebie, since I get enough junk mail in my life already. Was told no problem......obviously it is a problem.....so annoying...same damn thin with Phone books! I don't need 2 phone books every damn year. Anyone have a clue how to stop those? I don't even have a damn lan line so I don't have anyone to complain to!

I hate the damn phone books. I've flagged those guys down and made them take them back only to have them double back and leave them when I'm not looking.

Last time I gathered them up from the neighbors that didn't want them and hauled them all to the recycling station.

Oh cazzo! I HATE those damned phone books! I have a fricken library of them in my garage as I don't want to throw them away and have no clue where to recycle them...advice there, please.

#36 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Oh cazzo! I HATE those damned phone books! I have a fricken library of them in my garage as I don't want to throw them away and have no clue where to recycle them...advice there, please.

N.E. Portland Recycling Center

12820 NE Marx Street
Portland, Oregon 97230
(Pacific Business Park, North of Sandy Blvd, 6 Blocks East of 122nd Ave.)

503-255-2299

Hours

8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Monday - Friday

8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday

Far West Fiber has a variety of Recycling Stations/Public Depots - You can recycle just about anything but Styrofoam and Foam Rubber depending on which depot you go to.

Newspaper, Corrugated Cardboard, White Ledger, Office Paper, Mixed Scrap Paper, Telephone Books, Magazines, Glass Bottles and Jars, Plastic Bottles, Steel (tin) Cans, Aluminum, Scrap Metal, Nursery Pots, E-Scrap, Media Plastic, Athletic Shoes, Plastic Tubs, Buckets and Trays, Plastic Bags and Film and Hardback Books.

There are a few stations that recycling other items as well.

#37 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

you can just toss them in your recycle bin and set them on the curb (assuming you live in pdx).
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#38 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

General Metro Area Recycling Information is available at

Metro's Recycling Site

Recycling Hotline: Metro Recycling Information has friendly staff with fast, helpful answers to your recycling, disposal and waste prevention questions. Call us at 503-234-3000 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

#39 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Update:

So, today I was coming home from running and caught the guy throwing the Weekday thing in my yard. Again. Asked him to kindly refrain from doing so and he told me "you'll have to be taken off the list." When I told him I'd called three times to that effect he laughed and said "sounds just like the Oregonian." And they wonder why their readership numbers are in the crapper.

#40 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

Call the circulation manager.and tell them you don't want the Food Day. I placed three calls to the O to have my tube replaced after some drunk woman hit it and knocked it down. Three times, nothing happened, then I called the circ manager. Next day I had a new tube.