Late Night (after 12:30) Dining

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

I know this topic has been sprinkled throughout the board, but I thought it would be great to have a centralized recommendation list...if there's already one, I'm sorry I didn't locate it. Anyway, where do people eat in this town if they get off work at midnight during the week?

I know fast food joints are typically open...and Hot Cake House on Powell is more for hungry drunks, Roxy is downtown (I hope I don't sound like I'm whining!), Voodoo only serves, well, donuts...and after that I've not really come up with much. Anyone got anything?

Thanks!
~A~

#2 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:51 PM

from one late night hound to another..........your screwed
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#3 HungryC

HungryC
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:43 AM

I visited Gilt Club on NW Broadway in Old Town with a small crew of debaucherous birthday celebrators last Thursday. It was the last stop of the night, about 1:45AM when we got there, and I was surprised to learn that they serve a full dinner menu (definitely not your obligatory OLCC b.s. items) until the bar closes (2AM according to their website). They were lovely enough to accommodate us drunkards until past 2:30AM. We had a bunch of apps (manchego fritters, foie torchon and cheese plate if I remember correctly) and burgers all around. I thought it was pretty good for the price, with nice menu options, and I definitely appreciate the late night hours.

Other than that, I'm unsure of what else is open for late night dining. Portland is definitely lacking in that area. What I wouldn't give for a ghetto dog cart somewhere... (that would be a bacon-wrapped hot dog with onions and green peppers, a late night LA standard).

#4 postmoves

postmoves
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

This should be the territory of the new-fangled 'gastro-pub', and there is a bit in evidence that some of the new crop that serve simpler, yet higher quality foods, are going that way.
In my hood Sapphire has a modified menu after midnite, Matchbox & Victory, I believe, have some vittles; but we are usually relegated to Zack's for a dog or Big Bertha's for a tasty garlic laced Gyro (ala Satyricon of old)- but my motivation is to sponge up the alcohol, rather than nourish, so I see your plight.

#5 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

I'll second the rec for Gilt.

I betcha there's a great Korean pub in Beaverton that's open late. If only CO would spend more time on that side of the hill exploring and less time hiding from CutieOatmeal at Tanuki.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#6 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

GH -
Downtown, the two that come to mind are:
Voleur
Cassidy's

#7 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

We've had this discussion before, Gilt Club not only has dinner till 2am but you get 40% off if your in the industry. Can't bet a deal like that especially now. Also I think Colosso serves food till close as well.
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down

#8 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

Cassidy's is a popular haunt with roadies/bands from the Crystal post show. that means LATE.

of course Scooters next door will mix you a liter of vodka and put on a hot pocket late into the night as well :P

#9 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

I betcha there's a great Korean pub in Beaverton that's open late. If only CO would spend more time on that side of the hill exploring and less time hiding from CutieOatmeal at Tanuki.

Im really glad i let you schlep all the way home in the rain last night! I was contemplating picking you up but after that remark........

come on Sauce, you understand about not sounding the alarm on a cool spot. :P
dont wanna ruin it and all........
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#10 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

Im really glad i let you schlep all the way home in the rain last night! I was contemplating picking you up but after that remark........

come on Sauce, you understand about not sounding the alarm on a cool spot. :P
dont wanna ruin it and all........

That was a personal trip of mine. Exactly one year ago I stumbled back in the rain from East Burnside (last year: Le Pigeon; this year: Biwa) and I appreciate a certain symmetry about these sort of things.

I recall Life of Riley having a kitchen open til 11pm early in the week. Did you catch if the kitchen was open later on Friday/Weekends?
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#11 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

Casa del Matador on 23rd serves full menu till 2am with a decent late night happy hour
MuuMuus serves until 1am (or later)
Blue Moon serves McMenifood till 1am
The Liberty Glass serves until 2:30am
Fratelli's Bar Due has an incredible happy hour after 9pm and open late: Sun-Thurs, 4:30pm-12am ~ Fri, Sat, 4:30pm-1am
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#12 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

Personally I have been majorly underwhelmed by their food the last couple of times that I've eaten there, but Doug Fir does serve their whole menu to 4:00 AM.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#13 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, not too hot on the Fir late night, but a couple times we've been they've been closed - I think it was around 1 or even just midnight. Was not on a Friday or Saturday, though.

Great tips everyone - keep 'em coming!
~A~

#14 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Potato Champion FTW.

#15 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm a big fan of East Burn and The Bonfire they may not do dinners after midnight but their late menus are awesome and the foods always good and IMO it's not really the "Bar Food Shit" that you think they might serve.
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down

#16 KyriAnn

KyriAnn
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

Isn't Le Happy open late?

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Zach's Shack.
La Catrina Tortas Gigantes.
Muchas Gracias, when necessary.
Yummy Yummy.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#18 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

what, no javier's? (on n. lombard) the grossest late-night burritos in town!

#19 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

Nick, is Gigantes really in the title?

Sauce has tried a number of times at this point to drag me out there late at night, I may have to go at some point......

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

Javier's is essentially just another Muchas Gracias. As is the Alberto's in Salem and wherever else they are.

La Catrina Loncheria is the official title, I believe. But for the longest time the most prominent title on their truck was "Tortas Gigantes". I think they're damned good and anyone who says different I challenge to join me there any night of the week.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's