Guilty Pleasures

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

that pretty much sums it up so i guess ill go first.

eatting cheez whiz directly out of the can.

dirty water hot dogs on a cold, rainy day.

and my personal skeleton in the closet........honeynut Cheerios with 7-up instead of milk(DONT JUDGE ME!!!)

anyone else embarrased of some craptacular food indescretions?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#2 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness & quirky food fun

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

for your cold rainy day: http://www.dinnerina...m/dirty-hot-dog

my craptacular food indiscretions-

- fake crab meat. I swear- I'm not allowed to buy it anymore cause it will disappear in the first hour! And eating fake crab out of one's grocery bag on the bus feels sooo dirty. :blink:

- cheapo day-glo maraschino cherries

- gardenburger's fake ribletes.

#3 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

- fake crab meat. I swear- I'm not allowed to buy it anymore cause it will disappear in the first hour! And eating fake crab out of one's grocery bag on the bus feels sooo dirty. :blink:

I wonder if surimi has the same stigma in Japan that it seems to have here. Already, calling it surimimaki sounds so much more high end than imitation krab roll.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

- cheapo day-glo maraschino cherries

I love those too. Ya know they bleach them first and then artificially color them...knowing that still doesn't make me stop eating them, though. ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

So good, and so bad for you:

Frozen pot pies
Mac and cheese from a box
Diet coke
Starbucks mint frappucino and pumpkin spice latte
KFC (though I haven't had it since I had that eye-opening conversation with Sylvan over the summer)

When I am gambling in Vegas, I drink enless Jack & Diets.

#6 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Frozen pot pies

Oh, hell yes! And none of those fancy Marie Callendar's ones either...the more generic and the least representative of actual food, the better!

Along the same lines:
Salisbury Steak frozen dinners. That salty brown goop they claim is gravy just gets me :blink:
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#7 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Kinda along the same lines, here's another discussion we had a while back about odd combos.
http://portlandfood....wtopic=6793&hl=

Whiz in a can is a must every now and again. Have to think on this one. I'm sure I've got tons of others.

Oh, wait...spam counts here, doesn't it? Fried all crispy. Mmmm. And canned deviled ham. Two pieces of toast with deviled ham on one side and cream cheese on the other all smooshed together.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#8 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

honeynut Cheerios with 7-up instead of milk(DONT JUDGE ME!!!)

Wow. That's a good one.

##################
  • When I was a kid, :rolleyes: I would eat Lucky Charms for breakfast. Dry. No milk. And I would separate all the crunchy marshmallows out, eat all the oaty bites while watching cartoons, and mash the handful of mallows together in a big ball and eat it all at once.
  • I have done a similar thing at a movie theater whilst eating peanut butter m&ms.
  • i will swig directly from the maple syrup bottle when no one is looking.
  • I tease/challenge/goad the staff at thai restaurants, hoping they will actually put the real hot chilis in my dish. I like it when they give the the ".....ok, you asked for it" look.
  • In college, while I was doing a lot of work on the wheel for ceramics, I would get the 64oz Mega Jug of Coke at the Shell Station and an extra long straw. I think I filled up three times one day. I loved that jug.
  • Pretzel sticks and mass amounts of sour cream.
  • Toaster waffle, butter pecan ice cream, and maple syrup sandwiches.
  • I can probably eat an entire pound of cheese curds in under a minute.
I will be adding more to this later, most assuredly.

#9 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

Potato chip, mustard & salt sandwiches.

Peanut butter, salt & sriracha sauce on toast w/a litre can of Asahi . It does not owrk unless a full litre can of beer is consumed with.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#10 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Peanut butter, salt & sriracha sauce on toast w/a litre can of Asahi . It does not owrk unless a full litre can of beer is consumed with.

this will be attempted very soon. Perhaps you could gussy it up into some super secret Tanuki dish?

#11 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Guilty pleasure: trannie hookers and cocai...er wait, we're talking food?

* Taco Bell crunchy tacos
* 69 cent cans of sardines from the Vietnamese market
* Anything Ore-Ida
* Those huge Cup-o-Noodles Souper Meals with that mysterious "Flavor Enhancer" packet that's meant to be added at the last second
* Hormel canned corned/roast beef hash that in its raw form looks less appealing than dog food
* Oscar Meyer's Cotto Salami
* Arnold's Pickles So Hot Mix
* Stouffer's French Bread Pizza
* Squid jerky
* Lil' Smokies from a crockpot
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#12 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

this will be attempted very soon. Perhaps you could gussy it up into some super secret Tanuki dish?

If you've been to Tanuki you may very well have already had it :rolleyes:
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#13 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

oh, how could i forget my biggest one of all!?......Tanuki :D :wub:

also: saltine crackers with frenches mustard

bud light

2 peices of wonder bread(or any equally drecky loaf of white air made of sugar and lard...), with the crusts removed, squished into a ball and eaten in one bite.

those butterhorns sold next to the commercial boxed donuts that come wrapped in cellophane and sold like 8 at a time.....two of those warmed in the microwave with extra butter(gold n' soft if you wanna get ubertrashy).

I am going to stop now before I really embarass myself :rolleyes:
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#14 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

"2 peices of wonder bread(or any equally drecky loaf of white air made of sugar and lard...), with the crusts removed, squished into a ball and eaten in one bite"

I do the same thing but put a piece of cheese in before rolling into a ball... then I roll in in hot mustard and in the crumbly dregs from a tortilla chip bag. :rolleyes:

#15 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

I do the same thing but put a piece of cheese in before rolling into a ball... then I roll in in hot mustard and in the crumbly dregs from a tortilla chip bag. :rolleyes:

I've seen this on the menu at bad chain mexican restaurants, but fried :D

#16 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

I've seen this on the menu at bad chain mexican restaurants, but fried :D

what the hell would you call that?....."trailerpark bubba's tex-mex falafal"?? my mind reels....

#17 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

I'll have you know I've completely lost respect for everyone of you!

Okay, so: Mint oreos

Newman's Ranch Dressing

Stouffer's Mac 'n Cheese (when sick)

Frozen Fried Clams

Mayonnaise - I'll usually dip something in it, but it's rea;;y just an excuse to eat the mayo.

lunch meat wrapped around pickles

tofu (just kidding)

cantalope filled with chocolate ice cream

Popeye's Fried Chicken (about once every 3 months)

McDonald's Dbl. Quarter Pounder with Cheese (about once a year)
signature

#18 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

"oh, how could i forget my biggest one of all!?......Tanuki "

It's only a "guilty" pleasure when SS accidentally tells your GF that you guys closed the place down several nights in a row when you claimed to be elsewhere :rolleyes:

#19 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

the more i think about it, the more i doubt the "accidentally" part!

you know that guy who talks shit about you to your girl, just to seem like the "good" guy? :D

another guilty pleasure: exacting revenge........ :rolleyes:

#20 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

lunch meat wrapped around pickles

Yes, but has to be that awful Carl Budding pressed meat crap. It's even better with Cheez Whiz spread on the 'meat' first, then wrapped around the pickle.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax