Birthday Dinners

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:39 AM

My wife's is 10/17 and I'm 10/18, so we alternate the choice. I usually demand the Ringside on Burnside as a tribute to my Midwestern bourgeois roots, and she gets to pick a new place the other years.

This year one of us is eligible for Elder Hostel......not saying who, but despite the fact it's my year to choose, I may wind up treating her to Lucier.

Another 10/18! (I think we had a similar mention last year.) I was asking for Lucier, but with current economic limitations, I think we are headed to Pok Pok instead.

I do remember this conversation last year because all of us 10/18s were angling for the deli to open so we could have birthday pastrami. :think:

#22 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness & quirky food fun

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

My birthday's popping up next week.

And now, thanks to this thread I am truly confounded as to where I want to go! :D

Last year I went to Acadia for shrimp and cocktails- just stumbling distance from our place and it was perfect.

#23 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

My birthday's popping up next week.

And now, thanks to this thread I am truly confounded as to where I want to go! :huh:

Last year I went to Acadia for shrimp and cocktails- just stumbling distance from our place and it was perfect.

seriously, it's so confusing to figure out where to go!

My birthday is in ten days, first I definitely wanted Le Pigeon, then I had to have Toro Bravo. At this point, I just want to go to the bar at Higgins because it's close to home, eat a burger, and drink an interesting beer or two.

One thing I definitely know is: I must have a cupcake at The Sugar Cube.

Jocelyn, in the spirit of staying close to home, maybe you should go to Podnah's?

#24 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

So we didn't get to Lucier, as we had planned on going to the Coast until the last minute, but will be at K & Z sometime today for my birithday.

Happy Birthday, though, to those who share the 18th. Enjoy and don't do anything I wouldn't have done 25 years ago, and if you do the things I used to, get preloaded with a bail bondsman's services and a good criminal attorney (I totalled a car on b'day 21, later things got even hairier). I used to think I shared it with Chuck Berry (you don't want to know what he eats) and Jesse Helms, and am happy to know there are others, like Arthur Miller (hey, he got to bang MM), Mike Judge (at 54, should I even know who he is?) and Michael Tolkin (wrote the novel and screenplay for The Player).

#25 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

My birthday was Sept 23rd...I am still waiting for my bday dinner. LOL I was in Italy for my Birthday, so, we decided to combine Sept and Oct. family birthdays and plan to hit Country Cat. Mmmmmmm!

#26 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness & quirky food fun

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

Reporting back from day three of celebrating my birthday :rolleyes:

Went to Yakuza for the first time for birthday night. Food was ok, (steak and cheese plates were great, everything else was meh).

Went to Podnah's last night -which was slammed due to WW mention in ROY write ups. Had great juicy pulled pork- the only meat they had left for the night (arrived ~8pm) !

Tomorrow doing a big birthday dinner at Wong's King.

This getting old thing ain't so bad.