• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Saw an ad for this place across from our ad in the Merc. They outdid us with the tagline "FAT FUCKIN SANDWICHES" although our picture looks prettier. Anyone tried it?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Yeah. J tried one recently. He was really happy with it. He said it was like an east cost-type deli sandwich, like the kinds he used to get back in Hoboken.

#3 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

I may check it out, despite the menu.

http://www.pdxdeli.com/menu.html

I'm a nit and freely admit it, but mesquite turkey on a "Classic Italian" sub? And the only other meats on it are Black Forest Ham and Genoa (generic) salami? Pepperoncinis on a Reuben?!?

#4 pdxscoob

pdxscoob
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

I had the turkey and cheddar on whole wheat roll last week. It was a pretty good sandwich. They use Boar's Head meats. I would say there is a little too much bread in the bread to filling ratio personally. I would probably get the Dave's Killer bread instead next time.

#5 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

But they do offer "most deliscious (sic) and filling sandwich in Portland." Not with Boar's Head Pastrami they don't! Or Portland French bread. :huh:
signature

#6 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Monday - Saturday 11am to 11pm

That's certainly a plus.

#7 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

They are good sandwiches. I agree with the "little too much bread to filling ratio"

#8 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Advertising Boar's Head soups as a selling point is weird.
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#9 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

Advertising Boar's Head soups as a selling point is weird.

why? :think:

I mean, think what you want of the product(i think its decent for mass market deli meat, I cant speak to the soup) but it has a name brand hook that most people know.

You, me, and most everyone here probably know a half dozen other places to get superior deli meat. Only thing being is we are a tiny percentage of the sandwich eating target demo here.....
I personally think its a good idea, because i know a lot of non-food obsessed people that see the name Boars Head and think "oh, thats the best deli meat around here!!!!". May not be true, but its going to put a lot of people in seats. If this keeps the doors open and keeps one more option for me open, well then, put a neon BoarsHead sign out front!! wtf do i care?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#10 Flymonkey

Flymonkey
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

The owners have a winter/vaca home right by our house. Nice folks. My husband tried the deli around 10pm one night and was pleased for price/taste. They open the side window for late service. I know they were planning to be open even later on weekends but perhaps they aren't ready yet or the crowd wasn't enough to keep going.

I still need to think of them and go there to try it when I'm in town.

#11 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

There's something about soup, Concrete, which screams homemade.

I mean in a loud and obvious way.

Even those "non-food obsessed" people you mention are aware of this theme.

#12 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

There's something about soup, Concrete, which screams homemade.

I mean in a loud and obvious way.

Even those "non-food obsessed" people you mention are aware of this theme.

there is a whole aisle of canned soup at every grocery store from here to Omaha! and there tend to be a lot of people in it..... :P

trust me, I am in construction, when i tell you I know the common person I speak of. Boars Head soup from a deli is probably out of their comfort zone, but from the end of the spectrum from why its out of ours......
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#13 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

:think:

You know, I've seen those aisles of soupcans in grocery stores myself. I don't think they have any bearing on my reaction to a restaurant advertising industrial-made soups, which I view as a different segment of the soup market. For what it's worth, even a lot of those grocery store cans advertise "homemade" or "homestyle" or whatnot.

#14 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

You know, I've seen those aisles of soupcans in grocery stores myself. I don't think they have any bearing on my reaction to a restaurant advertising industrial-made soups, which I view as a different segment of the soup market. For what it's worth, even a lot of those grocery store cans advertise "homemade" or "homestyle" or whatnot.

exactly my point. its not you and I that they(eastside deli) are marketing Boars Head to. Its the people that buy Progresso Homstyle soup at Safeway that they are targeting......unfortunately a much bigger demo then it should be. :(

#15 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:05 PM

I'm cynical, but not that cynical.

#16 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

I have to agree that for many people the Boar's Head soup will be a drawing point. And if those people are their target audience then it makes sense. Many people will take a brand they know over a homemade they don't any day. Why? Because they want what the get to taste EXACTLY the same each and every time.

Same demographic that keeps Olive Garden and Applebees full. Stuff produced industrial style in a central location and shipped out. Using Boar's Head soup is no different than the soup you get at a chain.

I did a fair amount of consulting for food service outside of restaurants. High end grocery stores with delis and HMRs with a great deal of grab and go lunch crowd (downtown Chicago). Time and again it was apparent that people would rather have brand name soups on the lunch line than homemade.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#17 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

Apple(bee)s and oranges to me. ( :think: pun) Hawthorne and inner Portland are loaded with small, independent purveyors of handcrafted goods. I'm thinking of restaurants, not grocery stores, grocery delis or business cafeterias. It makes perfect sense to me that Zupan's would advertise Boar's Head soups. But a place like East Side Deli isn't competing so much with Zupan's as they are with, say, Cup and Saucer or Hawthorne Street Fish House. Boar's Head soups may be a draw for some people in this segment, but I don't think a lot of people.

#18 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

That's exactly the reason I said this :

"I have to agree that for many people the Boar's Head soup will be a drawing point. And if those people are their target audience then it makes sense. "

The if is a big key.

How do we know that those small indies' customers are the market share they are going after? Has any one talked to them about it?

Maybe they are looking to be a more indy alternative to fast food and grocery store take out and HMR. Actually, a good untapped market as indy places can get a bit too spendy for some on a regular basis and if one is in a hurry grocery store delis can be far too slow and the check out line too long. Or maybe looking to compete for market share from chains that do FF sandwiches like Subway, Arby's, whatever. If so, the Boar's Head is a good idea. If they are going after the market share you're referring to then bad idea.

Of course, you bring up the area it is in and that is valid. But while the neighborhood people may be looking for the indy thing and homemade soups that doesn't take into account people in the area in transit. A different demo all together. Just because a place opens in a specific location doesn't mean they are thinking that the people living in the immediate surroundings are going to be their bread and butter.

Great thing about a small detail like that, they can always shift it if they are drawing a different crowd than they expected.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#19 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

All they have going for them is location, there is not much competition for the upper Hawthorne sandwich dollar (especially late night or should I say later night (11PM)). I haven't found their sandwiches to be much better than what you can get at Freddies or Subway (though I haven't tried the "killer bread").

#20 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

I went today. The rolls are virtually indistinguishable from Quizno's/Subway, however, the meats are better (if totally unadventurous) and they do lay on the condiments and vegetables with a trowel. I can get the same effect at New Seasons or Market of Choice if I schmooze with them when they make the sandwiches. Truth be told, MOC in my neighborhood does a better sandwich for about the same cost and I can pick up stuff for a few home made meals while I wait for my custom sandwich (I favor their cold meatloaf with ketchup on a french roll, I've got pedestrian taste).

Okay if you're in the area, not worth a trip, and if I'm in that area, the muffaletta at Little T is gonna be my go-to meal.

Preemptive strike, editing after looking at the next post, but the sandwiches on rolls or bread at New Seasons or MOC are six bucks. It is nice, though, that there's a locally owned place in the neighborhood if you live near there. I'd much rather go to a locally owned joint than a chain, all things being equal or even a buck more. It's worth it to me to spend a bit more to support local business. I know the others may be locally owned franchises, but so it goes.